Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I haven't started a PGCE yet but I'm planning to do one in Primary Education after my undergraduate degree. Is there anything I can be doing now to maximise my chances of being accepted on a course? I'm already looking into volunteering with a Rainbows group and working with kids at a summer camp. Is there anything else you'd recommend? I'm not looking into work experience in schools just yet as i'm only in the first year of my degree, and as i've volunteered before and know I want to do primary ed there's no point doing any more work experience until further down the line.

Many thanks in advance for any useful advice! :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Esmeralda4)
    Sorry to hear that! Have you had any feedback as to why?

I'm pretty sure that at my uni you redo 1st placement when you would have done 2nd.
    It is because of my professionalism, teaching was good, but i didnt mark the books properly and didnt follow school behaviour policies, i created my own system which was working but other teachers complained that students were then making trouble in other classes as my rules in class were different to what they shouldve been.

Although kids were all well behaved in my classes, i can see now that i shouldve followed what was the school policy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flower124)
    Hi,

I haven't started a PGCE yet but I'm planning to do one in Primary Education after my undergraduate degree. Is there anything I can be doing now to maximise my chances of being accepted on a course? I'm already looking into volunteering with a Rainbows group and working with kids at a summer camp. Is there anything else you'd recommend? I'm not looking into work experience in schools just yet as i'm only in the first year of my degree, and as i've volunteered before and know I want to do primary ed there's no point doing any more work experience until further down the line.

Many thanks in advance for any useful advice! :-)
    Work experience in schools. Seriously, you cannot do too much of it, plus it's difficult to get. My uni doesn't recognise Brownies or summer camp work as anything more than an extra- you must must must have classroom experience. Try and get into as many different stages as possible, and if you can, go to different schools too. You might also find out that it's not actually for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stephss)
    Hi all,

I'm an NQT who just qualified from a BE.d in Primary Ed this year. During my training I noticed there wasn't many good websites for trainee primary school teachers (apart from TES/resource sites).

I'm putting together a professional site to help trainee's and would love to know what kind of things you'd like to see on there. E.g. advice on observations, getting into Uni, personal statements, lesson plan ideas, display photos, downloads.

Any feedback would be appreciated and I'll make sure to come back and provide a link to the website when its ready

Steph

Please quote me so I can see your reply!!!
    I think there should definitely be a community element, either as a chat room, forum or comment facility. It's very helpful to talk to others.

It would be nice to have sort of wiki entries about different theories or concepts, which explain, give a few examples then allow others to share/discuss. For example, summative assessment could explain what it is common methods and resources used, show some recording methods.

A jargon/acronym dictionary would be good too. And links to important govt documents as well as useful archived ones and resources sites.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    Could you be more elaborate? Did she had mental health problems or some sort of psychopathic behaviour?
    No, I exaggerate to make a point, but she was both unable to control the class and unable to see that was a problem, and her subject knowledge was entirely inadequate. I can't recall the details now as it's about 20 years ago. She passed the course and got a job.

ReputationRep:
    Feeling really low

ReputationRep:
    Aww im feeling really sad that so many people are feeling negative right now. Its almost xmas break guys, chin up all and well get there and well all get a well earned rest xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunfowers01)
    Feeling really low
    :hugs:

Remember this is the hardest part to get through- it will get better! Can we help you with anything?

ReputationRep:
    We can do it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peony flowers)
    :hugs:

Remember this is the hardest part to get through- it will get better! Can we help you with anything?
    Thanks for replying. I had an awful class with mixed level teenagers who just override everything I say. I was then made to feel like I'm not doing enough by the owners of the academy. I don't think they meant anything by it, I had just had a horrid day. Not sure I'm cut out for this. There is too much at stake.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else finding it near on impossible to think about buying Christmas presents? It's getting dangerously close to Christmas and all I can think about is planning, evaluating and the two essays I have due soon! It sounds weird but I can never find the time to think about what to get people?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunfowers01)
    Thanks for replying. I had an awful class with mixed level teenagers who just override everything I say. I was then made to feel like I'm not doing enough by the owners of the academy. I don't think they meant anything by it, I had just had a horrid day. Not sure I'm cut out for this. There is too much at stake.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think feeling so bad shows that you are cut out for it, because you obviously care! Tomorrow's a new day, I'm sure it'll be better x
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else struggling with lessons as we get closer to christmas? Getting my year 7s this morning to pay attention was like pulling teeth and I was observed too so that made me react by panicking a little.

My feedback was good. Behaviour was good, content and lesson planning good but them watching my demos and following the guidance given on the spreadsheet was just a nightmare.

I have year 9s next and what I was planning to do just seems silly now. Going to rewrite everything in the 2 hours I have now. Justifiable to use a childish language (Scratch) to approach putting skills together in the way they'll do it with the higher language? Half of the class are out on a trip so I don't think pushing on with skills will really work.

ReputationRep:
    Just read the perfect book for anyone needing cheering up on their PGCE and just discovered it's free as an ebook on Amazon until Tues 9 Dec 14. 'Miss, Mrs or Ms' by Paula Clamp is about 3 student teachers and it really is a great pick-me-up.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Miss-Mrs-Ms-Paula-Clamp-ebook/dp/B00QFCTMGA/ref=asap_B001K84VTM_1_5?s=books& ie=UTF8&qid=1417773597&sr=1-5

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sue-Ellen)
    Just read the perfect book for anyone needing cheering up on their PGCE and just discovered it's free as an ebook on Amazon until Tues 9 Dec 14. 'Miss, Mrs or Ms' by Paula Clamp is about 3 student teachers and it really is a great pick-me-up.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Miss-Mrs-Ms-Paula-Clamp-ebook/dp/B00QFCTMGA/ref=asap_B001K84VTM_1_5?s=books& ie=UTF8&qid=1417773597&sr=1-5
    Thanks, I'm gonna give it a read even though I'm an NQT defo need a pick me up..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

I've not really been around since the start of the course but you all sound like you are getting on well! If you are feeling low just remember it's nearly Christmas 🎄

My placement has had some rather tough moments but finally things are looking up,I wanted a good on a lesson observation so much and now I've had 2! One was even a link tutor observation and one was pe lol, my final assessment review is Thursday and I really want good overall but I don't think I'll manage it this time because my 5 observations have been 3 ri and 2 good so my average isn't good enough booooooo but I did get to spend some time in early years for observation of good practice purposes and found that's what I want to do, I can't believe how much I have learned in such a short period of time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by outlaw-torn)
    Thanks, I'm gonna give it a read even though I'm an NQT defo need a pick me up..

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Good for you - if you're an NQT you're probably very busy- I could always give you page references to the sexy bits and you could skip the rest!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sue-Ellen)
    Thank you. I am only just applying for the PGCE but wotk as a TA. Always looking for good books x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm beyond stressed - I need calming down, I have 6 lessons to plan from scratch for next week, one of which is formally observed on top of this stupid 1600 word assignment in for Monday which I have no clue what I'm writing about.

:'( I wanna quit!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam89)
    I'm beyond stressed - I need calming down, I have 6 lessons to plan from scratch for next week, one of which is formally observed on top of this stupid 1600 word assignment in for Monday which I have no clue what I'm writing about.

:'( I wanna quit!
    I'm willing to offer an ear if needed. What's your subject?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.