Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    Higuain already stated he wanted to leave when he knew a new manager will be appointed. He wants to leave Real regardless of who gets appointed. Real Madrid just want to keep face for a number of possible reasons.

1) Selling Higuain now would make it appear like they are undermining new coach (likely Ancelotti) who wouldn’t get a chance to say if he wants to keep Higuain (even if we know he wants to leave).

2) So far the big off season story for Real Madrid has been Mourinho’s departure, makes sense that Real Madrid wants the next big story line to be the naming of his successor rather than the sale of a big name

3) Announcing the Higuain sale around the same time as a big purchase (Bale, Cavani or Suarez) would make his departure less of a big story, and still having him on the roster would make Real Madrid appear less desperate when negotiating the purchase of his replacement.

Source :http://www.juvefc.com/blog/?p=2523 Interesting Juve blog btw

Its all political at Madrid. Every president has an agenda, It all about how they get perceived.
    Yea the JuBe fan makes some really good points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Basiji)
    Yea the JuBe fan makes some really good points.
    Why do you say JuBe? Is this related to rubentus by any chance?

ReputationRep:
    http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/t...higuain-yet-ne

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Why do you say JuBe? Is this related to rubentus by any chance?
    Yea. I say JuBe cause after calciopoli when they got relegated to Serie B, Inter became and still are the only team in Italy to have played in the top flight of italian football throughout their entire history.

I don't say rubentus cause most people here won't realise what I'm on about, even though the name is hilarious (ruba means to steal in italian :laugh:).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Basiji)
    Yea. I say JuBe cause after calciopoli when they got relegated to Serie B, Inter became and still are the only team in Italy to have played in the top flight of italian football throughout their entire history.

I don't say rubentus cause most people here won't realise what I'm on about, even though the name is hilarious (ruba means to steal in italian :laugh:).

Oh ok. That's a pretty good record. No one has done it in england, in spanish football bilbao, barca and madrid are the only ones who haven't been relegated.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone seen Higuain's match history? Never scores or delivers against the BIG teams. Seems to scored in big wins..His reputation because of his 4 or so years at Madrid made me think he is a class player... but if you dig in to it.. hes not all that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cost)
    Has anyone seen Higuain's match history? Never scores or delivers against the BIG teams. Seems to scored in big wins..His reputation because of his 4 or so years at Madrid made me think he is a class player... but if you dig in to it.. hes not all that
    He'd still be a good signing nonetheless, but he's not as great as people suggest. He's a fader too. He scored against barca in the supercopa iirc last season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cost)
    Does looking through a list of matches on a website really count as digging in to a player then ? At least watch the matches you are gonna judge him based on if you are gonna go down that route

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    He'd still be a good signing nonetheless, but he's not as great as people suggest. He's a fader too. He scored against barca in the supercopa iirc last season.
    He scored but that was a mistake by Mascherano. Also he had about 3-4 chances to score but screwed them up. He doesn't seem to like trying to score against us.

(Original post by doggyfizzel)
    I included Juv in the the clubs on the look out for a bargain. I would say for the most part, clubs are always in for strikers, we'd have taken Lew this window if we could despite us being overloaded. If Aguero or Cavani were being touted for £22m I think you'd see plenty of clubs come out of the woodwork for them. I'd say he's a good striker but top, you'd be expanding your definition of top to 15-20 odd players across the 5 leagues. Cazorla had circumstances where no one was in for him and club selling him were in dire financial need, even if no one else is in for Higuain why are Madrid so keep to sell him? He's not expensive, they only have 2 established strikers, and he's 25.

No doubt I agree, what I'm saying is he not signalling a shift in policy, the main reason for the interest in Higuain is the price not the quality. Value in the market is one thing, but with the CL and progression worth the money it is, looking for value in the market is not the reason Wenger's transfer record is 15m, the same as when SAF was talking about no value in the market its a case of trying to save money and not take risks, there is value at both ends of the market as Ronaldo and Martinez have proved.

I don't think Higuain is a bad player or a bad buy, he's a great buy from Wenger. I'm just pointing to the idea he's a big signing and departure from usual policy which isn't true. If he carries the form over to Arsenal he'll be a top player. He's a 1 in 2 striker in a team which averages 3+ goals a game.
    I do agree with your analysis of Higuain's current place in the Madrid team and that this isn't that fundamentally dissimilar to other Wenger signings in that regard, but it's also important to note that this does signal a change in the way Arsenal might do business in the future simply because the value is far higher than what we've reached before. If Higuain had been available last season for 25m, I somehow doubt we'd have gone for him with Giroud available; this season, we've been going for the likes of Higuain and Jovetic (who, incidentally, might prove a shift in policy better than Higuain :p:) instead of, say, Aubameyang. So 25m or even 22m might be bargain-hunting at top level, but only at top level even within the stupidly hyper-inflated world of football - I think that's the change fans have been getting excited about. :yep:

On a different note, I'm pretty surprised that this hasn't been mentioned already, but it's been reported that PSG are set to appoint Laurent Blanc as their new manager (the piece also notes that PSG are keen to try and lure Wenger to Paris next season); that should clear Ancelotti's move to Real Madrid, which in turn should - I'll still say 'if reports are to be believed' - clear Higuain's move to us.

And finally, Sanogo scored in the U-20s World Cup for France against Ghana in a 3-1 win yesterday:

Pretty good goal there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsong)
    Does looking through a list of matches on a website really count as digging in to a player then ? At least watch the matches you are gonna judge him based on if you are gonna go down that route
    I see what you mean but he is a striker, strikers are ment to score goals. you can make what ever modern view on the strikers role these days but its you judge them on their goals. And real play 4-3-2-1 so he should be banging them in

ReputationRep:
    jeez

Arsenal fans would find something to complain about even if we signed Messi.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cost)
    I see what you mean but he is a striker, strikers are ment to score goals. you can make what ever modern view on the strikers role these days but its you judge them on their goals. And real play 4-3-2-1 so he should be banging them in
    107 goals in 187 appearances, that's a pretty beast record even though he been a super sub most of this season. He was so much more effective before Ronaldo came along

ReputationRep:
    There's something very dodgy about this deal why are Real Madrid stalling with it. I don't have a good feeling, I'm feeling another Mata moment. Honestly Wenger needs to speed up this deal.

ReputationRep:
    Bloody hell you can't win with Arsenal fans. We're signing a top player like Higuain but yet a few idiots will still complain.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not against Higuain but I won't be really happy if we get him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    I'm not against Higuain but I won't be really happy if we get him
    Then if we didn't get him you'll probably complain why aren't we in for top class players.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kruz)
    Then if we didn't get him you'll probably complain why aren't we in for top class players.
    Have you ever seen me saying that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kruz)
    I think most people would have Jovetic over Higuain. At least I would. Not complaining though, we know exactly what we will get with Higuain- 20 goals and maybe a few assists. Not bad at all!

ReputationRep:
    Who would actually make you guys happy? Aubameyang

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.