Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Christian Society (X-SOC) Episode IV: A New Hope watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiwa)
    Hey guys, I haven't been here for a while and I'm sorry. Could you please pray for me? I've had a rough day.

Sure, praying tomorrow will be better too.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Thought this was a nice video from Jefferson Bethke - uplifted me, at any rate (haven't felt God in years ): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Dous7kQZz4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    ...haven't felt God in years ):
    There were times when Jesus deliberately didn't answer people.

"Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not." (John 8:6)

"the chief priests accused him of many things: but he answered nothing.
    And Pilate asked him again, saying, Answerest thou nothing? behold how many things they witness against thee. But Jesus yet answered nothing; so that Pilate marvelled" (Mark 15:3-5)

"He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before his shearer, so opened he not his mouth" (Acts 8:32)

Conclusion: If you have your own agenda of how you want God to work, don't expect to hear God when you call to him.

Good news, if you are willing to "wave the white flag" and admit that your attitude has not worked, and there is no reason to think it will work, and then seek to do what he has actually been saying all along, you will certainlty feel God that day!

But people argue "I don't know what God is saying to me!"

Well, before you start getting personal revelation, visions or God using you to minister to others, you need to do the general / basic things he says to all - join the church he set up by being baptised as a believer with the desire to receive His Spirit (as detailed in scripture - Acts 2:4, 33). Then get involved with people that have all done the same in a church where the gifts and ministries of His Spirit are used as detailed in 1 Corinthians 14.

(I speak from personal experience)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)

"Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not." (John 8:6)

And Pilate asked him again, saying, Answerest thou nothing? behold how many things they witness against thee. But Jesus yet answered nothing; so that Pilate marvelled" (Mark 15:3-5)

"He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before his shearer, so opened he not his mouth" (Acts 8:32)

Conclusion: If you have your own agenda of how you want God to work, don't expect to hear God when you call to him.

Good news, if you are willing to "wave the white flag" and admit that your attitude has not worked, and there is no reason to think it will work, and then seek to do what he has actually been saying all along, you will certainlty feel God that day!

Well, before you start getting personal revelation, visions or God using you to minister to others, you need to do the general / basic things he says to all - join the church he set up by being baptised as a believer with the desire to receive His Spirit (as detailed in scripture - Acts 2:4, 33). Then get involved with people that have all done the same in a church where the gifts and ministries of His Spirit are used as detailed in 1 Corinthians 14.

Don't be so patronising. You don't know why God is or is not making himself felt to TLG, and telling her that it's because of her own agenda and that it's her fault is both hurtful and, frankly, complete nonsense. This is a place for mutual support and encouragement, not judgement and criticism. We all do Christianity differently here, but we accept our differences rather than telling each other that they're wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)

TLG is a member of the church Jesus set up :cute:

ReputationRep:
    Also, hi guys, new account (Feef here)
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by grownupfrog)
    :hi: :lovehug: :kissing2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grownupfrog)
    Hiiiiiiiiii Fee
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by EEngWillow)
    Hiiiiiiiiii Fee
    *faints in shock at seeing a ghost from the past* :headfire:

:ahee:

ReputationRep:
    *faints in shock at seeing a ghost from the past* :headfire:

*runs away before causing any more issues*
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    *runs away before causing any more issues*
    Nooo, come back! :sad:
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Hiiiiiiiiii Fee

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

Do any of you have any recommendations for good apps that you use to help in your daily worship or to become a better christian etc.?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pandas&Penguins)
    Hello all,

Do any of you have any recommendations for good apps that you use to help in your daily worship or to become a better christian etc.?
    I like the youversion app (search for 'youversion' and the app is just called 'Bible') - it has a nice selection of translations, some really great reading plans, allows you to make notes/highlights etc...

ReputationRep:
    :hi: :lovehug: :kissing2:
    Hiiiiiiiiii Fee
    :awesome: :jumphug:

ReputationRep:
    The Way of the Cross

Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said:

“Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me and for the gospel will save it.

What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul?

Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul?

If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of them when he comes in his Father’s glory with the holy angels.” (Mark 8 v 1)

I was just reminded at church today when these verses were read out how much of a sacrifice people around the world are making for their faith in Jesus . Praying for the persecuted church of Jesus Christ.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pandas&Penguins)
    Hello all,

This is a good one

http://www.bibleinoneyear.org/

ReputationRep:
    Jesus replied: “'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbour as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Matthew 22:36-40

This verse really struck a cord with me today.

We all know the greatest commandment from God is to love God and love your neighbour as yourself but also this is what the prophet's lives are to reflect. If they don't reflect this they are not a prophet of God.

Who are your neighbours? Yes, those who live next door but it goes beyond that to people in the next village, the city along from yours, the next country, the next continent, the whole world basically. There are no ifs, buts or maybes, this is it, this is the greatest commandment.

If we only love ourselves and only love those who are like ourselves then we are not obeying the God of the bible and therefore worship something else and not the God of the bible.

Was it just a light bulb moment for me?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Racoon)
    Who are your neighbours? Yes, those who live next door but it goes beyond that to people in the next village, the city along from yours, the next country, the next continent, the whole world basically. There are no ifs, buts or maybes, this is it, this is the greatest commandment.

If we only love ourselves and only love those who are like ourselves then we are not obeying the God of the bible and therefore worship something else and not the God of the bible.

Was it just a light bulb moment for me?
    You only just realised that that's what it means?

Sounds like you had a meaningful time at church today Or were you just reading your Bible at home?

ReputationRep:
    You only just realised that that's what it means?

Sounds like you had a meaningful time at church today Or were you just reading your Bible at home?
    I know, right haha

Yes, it all hit me at church this morning. I visited another church as I was invited there for lunch by a friend. It was what I call a more 'traditional church'. The vicar was brilliant!

He spoke about his recent trip to Sri Lanka where he stayed in a brick hut with cockroaches running around (no windows, no electricity, no sanitation). The person on the trip with them woke them up at 6.00 am to sit together outside and watch the sun come up drinking boiling hot sweet tea. He said he loved it, didn't even think about moaning or complaining once.

Then the travelling group were taken to a 5* hotel (in the middle of their trip just to recharge, wash, have a good meal etc) and he said all he did there was complain. The shower didn't work, the electronic curtains didn't quite meet in the middle, the tea was in little packets etc etc

The whole thing with the message was that God wants us to get out of our comfort zone and get into a place of discomfort, to be challenged for him. We are just too comfortable, if we want God to use us we have to be available and ready to face any challenge even if it causes us a great discomfort.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 20, 2019
Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.