The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know if 2110 (703 average) would be good enough for the UKCAT heavy universities - i.e. KCL and Newcastle? I remember reading that the KCL cutoff was 735 one year, and it seems that everyone's getting good scores this year:s-smilie:
Reply 4441
Original post by Jammie123
Hello, well done to everyone on their results!

I just sat my UKCAT today and got 770 average.
VR: 610
QR: 800
AR: 900
Band 2

I used UKCAT Ninja, Medify and the Offical UKCAT practice questions and tests.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask!

Good luck to everyone :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ypu are like my opposite!!!!!!! I really struggle with QR and AR please helpme? How hard are they compared to medify? How do you know when to guess and go for QR? Tricks to make it shorter? Help finding patterns for AR!!!!! Congrats BTW
Reply 4442
is 645 and band 3 in sjt any good??? VR is my enemy.
I got 3A and B in AS
GCSE 8A* 3A 2B
I want to go to Barts to study medicine. Do I stand a chance???????????? :frown:
Original post by pvk19.
Hi everyone,
For everyone who has done the test, how much do the kaplan mocks and medify mocks represent the actual exam and which ones? I have my exam next sat and I'm soo scared because im getting only in the 500-600's overall in the mocks im doing, so any tips would be helpful? Please reply.
Thanks xx

Hi,

I only did the medify mocks and I can say, for me at least, that they were a bit harder than the actual exam. I didn't break 700 on the mocks, but got 740 in the actual exam despite having a cold and getting harder VR questions than I was used to.

I would say something important is not to stress out too much :smile: Easier said than done, I know, but it is important for the actual test. Not being stressed lets you focus more and get into the UKCAT rhythm during the exam.

For VR, definitely learn to skim-read the passages if you haven't already and for t/f/ct questions I found it really helpful to read the question first. However, for the other type of multiple choice, I read the whole passage and made note of where each of the key points was. For QR, skip anything you think will take longer than 40 seconds, this will help you answer every question within the time limit (even if it is a guess) and give you more time for the easy-peasy questions. AR I'm trash at, so don't ask me. SJ is the same as AR aha.

Hope that helps you! And stay chilled out :smile:
Reply 4444
i hope the cut-off scores are like 610 :frown:(((((((((
Reply 4445
will unis look at their applicants average and then create a cut-off. since they publish it in november after the application has been sent
Reply 4446
Will getting BAND 3 in SJT be a disadvantage?? hope not :frown:
Reply 4447
lol
Reply 4448
wish if there was some kind of second chance thing for the ukcat in the same year. I know next year, gap year students have to retake it.
Reply 4449
A level predictions r important too. as long as you balance it up. if ur ukcat score is average, try to boost ur predictions, work experience etc. DON'T give up. :smile:
those who get into interviews shouldn't think that they are guaranteed a place, mate they ASK some tricky questions. NO mmmmm or ahhhhh during interviews
Original post by 11...
Will getting BAND 3 in SJT be a disadvantage?? hope not :frown:

Depends on where you apply, look at the uni selection processes. It should be mentioned in there, a lot of unis use it during the interview stage of selection.
To what universities should I apply to if I got a score of 1810? Although it is not a very good score at all, I have very good predicted grades and work experience.

Thank you !
Original post by Sniperdon227
esc on actual exam

What?!?!???? Someone told me it was the backspace button when I asked this question before??
Original post by Jason Wong
I'd say not to push it back, only because you're just going to stress yourself out so much (like I did), how much revision have you done? I think if you've done roughly 2 weeks revision or 30 ish hours then you're fine to complete the exam. As for work wise, could you take time off work? And college, well I came back to school on the 5th and my exam was on the 8th, but even though I was given loads of work to do I ignored it until I completed the exam and then played the "catch up game" :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for replying! I pushed it back to the 22nd and I'm feeling so much more confident with it now which is important since I only get one chance this year so fingers crossed it goes well. I've been revising for 3 ish weeks and I've definitely done 30+ hours but nothing overly excessive especially with how spread out revision has been.
Original post by zoemccarthy34
Ypu are like my opposite!!!!!!! I really struggle with QR and AR please helpme? How hard are they compared to medify? How do you know when to guess and go for QR? Tricks to make it shorter? Help finding patterns for AR!!!!! Congrats BTW

Thank you!

QR is more about speed and accuracy. If the question is very long and includes a lot of words I just GFS it and carried on.

Medify is a good rough guide for how the teat is! I honestly 100% recommend UKCAT Ninja that was best representative for the test along with the official UKCAT questions.

Start practicing getting faster using the keyboard for the calculator and simple mental maths. Round up and down as well to make it easier for you. Also check the range of answer options. If there are very close together need to use calculator!

I recommend getting your hands on as many questions and just practicing. UKCAT is nothing like GCSE and a level however the more you practice the better the outcome! You might not see the improvement immediately or in mocks but it'll pay off I believe.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emelinaw
Does anyone know if 2110 (703 average) would be good enough for the UKCAT heavy universities - i.e. KCL and Newcastle? I remember reading that the KCL cutoff was 735 one year, and it seems that everyone's getting good scores this year:s-smilie:

TSR is not representative of the whole population! Everyone will have a better idea when UKCAT release statistics an decile in early October!

Kings cut off was 630 last year, they do not have a precise cut off. Despite their reputation of being a UKCAT heavy university.

Well done on your score! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HMarles
Hi,

I only did the medify mocks and I can say, for me at least, that they were a bit harder than the actual exam. I didn't break 700 on the mocks, but got 740 in the actual exam despite having a cold and getting harder VR questions than I was used to.

I would say something important is not to stress out too much :smile: Easier said than done, I know, but it is important for the actual test. Not being stressed lets you focus more and get into the UKCAT rhythm during the exam.

For VR, definitely learn to skim-read the passages if you haven't already and for t/f/ct questions I found it really helpful to read the question first. However, for the other type of multiple choice, I read the whole passage and made note of where each of the key points was. For QR, skip anything you think will take longer than 40 seconds, this will help you answer every question within the time limit (even if it is a guess) and give you more time for the easy-peasy questions. AR I'm trash at, so don't ask me. SJ is the same as AR aha.

Hope that helps you! And stay chilled out :smile:

Thank you!!! May I ask how much did you score in the actual thing and how much preparation you did? I panic in the VR only because i skim read the passage and i forget when i read the question, so I tend to take the searching for keywords approach! Thanks again x
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MihneaS
To what universities should I apply to if I got a score of 1810? Although it is not a very good score at all, I have very good predicted grades and work experience.

Thank you !

I'm in a similar position to you I got 1820 but have good work experience ect.
I know that Bristol, Leicester, Dundee and Aberdeen don't have a cut off but some of them are using a scoring system instead. Are you considering BMAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey
I just UKCAT Practice Paper A, and I found it so difficult. I did well in VR, but in QR I got only 11 correct. I just found it really hard. Can anyone tell me if the first paper is like the actual exam? If yes then I'm screwed :redface:

Also which website is best to improve my QR?
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
does anyone know how i can improve my sjt score??? i have read the gmc good medical practice but it wasn't of must help... i keep on getting partially correct answers when i want to be getting fully correct answers ... any tips???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending