Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    I've just started doing my EPQ and I'm having a few problems with my topic title, would this idea work?- making a booklet for tourists visiting the UK either about the UK in general or the 2014 common wealth games. For it I think I'd like to write the majority in Spanish or French and near the end include some useful phrases and other info. Finally I'd produce the booklet. I've never done graphic design or anything related ( would this be a problem)
    Overall would this be a decent idea, if done well with good background research and good quality production do you think this could get a good grade? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    This sounds like a ridiculous question... but how am I meant to go about this research? I'm doing about how John and Jackie Kennedy manipulated the media in order to gain presidential power and I have loads of books that I've read on the presidency etc. but do I say pick out quotes/extracts from the book and make a list?!

I'm finding it really hard to get the ball rolling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexanderStuart)
    This sounds like a ridiculous question... but how am I meant to go about this research? I'm doing about how John and Jackie Kennedy manipulated the media in order to gain presidential power and I have loads of books that I've read on the presidency etc. but do I say pick out quotes/extracts from the book and make a list?!

i think so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexanderStuart)

We were told never to write down direct quotes, unless you intend to use them as quotes. It's better to write notes from the books, in your own words. Only pull out the parts you think will be relevant - or you'll end up with a wad of notes you'll never need, which is a waste of time.

Just make sure you keep a list of all the books you use - so if you need to, you can go back and get more in-depth notes. Maybe even the page numbers, if you feel the need to.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm 4000 words into my 5000 word epq, the topic is Slavery, and in particular the economic benefits for the southern states of America vs the issues as a result of slavery that have affected america, even today. Thats not the question title of the essay though btw, still trying to come up with a good one.

Ive come to the point where ive said almost everything i can think of and want to do my conclusion, problem is im terrible at conclusions and evaluating and all that jazz, so i was wondering if anybody could give me any good ideas for my conclusion, can you just weigh up the pros and cons? or is that too insensitive for my topic? If anyone want to have a crack a writing one for me please do or start me off at least haha, thanks in advance.

Some more information about my EPQ:

• Started of with economical benefits to the south and how it spurted economic growth in America,
    • Also talked about other benefits of slavery (controversial) - African Americans such Obama, movie and music stars, sportsmen, athletes etc. are some of the most powerful and most influential. African Americans have greatly improved the quality of sport,
    • Talked alot about the following racial segregation and Jim Crow Laws,
    • Issues today, inequality, in education and earnings, low aspirations and achievement of african americans, also talked about feelings of not belonging, removing african heritage etc..,
    • oops forgot, Also talked about how slavery caused the civil war, 750 k lives lost etc..

Thats about it, if you think you can help with my conclusion and anything else you think yiu can add to my epq please help because im not sure i can fill 1000 words with just a conclusion.

Thanks,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pixie-Bee)
    We were told never to write down direct quotes, unless you intend to use them as quotes. It's better to write notes from the books, in your own words. Only pull out the parts you think will be relevant - or you'll end up with a wad of notes you'll never need, which is a waste of time.

Just make sure you keep a list of all the books you use - so if you need to, you can go back and get more in-depth notes. Maybe even the page numbers, if you feel the need to.
    I'm kind of worried because I pulled a lot of direct quotes and short passages from books and websites...then came back and realised I hadn't noted down the sources, so they look like my own words.

I've been worrying about this for a while. We really should've been taught how to do good note-taking before the summer. But they can't accuse you of plagiarism in your *notes*, surely? Isn't it just the final product and log they look at? And I've kept a hand-written log separate to my typed up notes..so it should be fine, right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flou_fboco)
    how often do you meet your supervisor?
    Between the As exams and A Level exams (the whole period) we have had/will have had about 6 meetings. But I've also e-mailed my supervisor a couple of times about problems I've had.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NedStark)
    Anyone know what goes into the bibliography? I'm sure it's all the sources I've consulted but then I'd simply be repeating the footnotes I put in each page.
    You're putting in footnotes? I've just said things like 'Norman Jones once stated in the New york Times that..." "Astronaut Jeremy Allen observed in a speech that.." and "according to the Clavius.com website.." Isn't that right? I was thinking my bibliography would be: -2011 Excerpt from the New York Times....-Speech delievered at cape Kennedy 1966" etc etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoggyTractor)
    I'm kind of worried because I pulled a lot of direct quotes and short passages from books and websites...then came back and realised I hadn't noted down the sources, so they look like my own words.

I've been worrying about this for a while. We really should've been taught how to do good note-taking before the summer. But they can't accuse you of plagiarism in your *notes*, surely? Isn't it just the final product and log they look at? And I've kept a hand-written log separate to my typed up notes..so it should be fine, right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think, if you're wanting to use those notes, you'll have to go back and try and remember all the sources.

And it depends how you use your notes when producing the final piece for work. We were warned against pulling out direct pieces of text, because some people might feel tempted to just use the direct text in their essay - or forget that it isn't in their own words. But as long as you make sure your not copying your notes word for word in your essay - it'll be fine.

Universities often have good resources for things that relate to the EPQ. For note taking;
    http://www.reading.ac.uk/internal/st...effective.aspx

You're putting in footnotes? I've just said things like 'Norman Jones once stated in the New york Times that..." "Astronaut Jeremy Allen observed in a speech that.." and "according to the Clavius.com website.." Isn't that right? I was thinking my bibliography would be: -2011 Excerpt from the New York Times....-Speech delievered at cape Kennedy 1966" etc etc.
    All your work should be cited and referenced using a method such as 'Harvard Referencing' I believe. Citations can be in footnotes. Personally, as I used Harvard Referencing, citations were in brackets after the relevant text. Which included the name of author and publishing date.

Another university help page; http://www.staffs.ac.uk/assets/harva...cm44-47797.pdf

ReputationRep:
    I still don't have a title for this thing... Ow this is going badly hahaa

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pixie-Bee)
    I think, if you're wanting to use those notes, you'll have to go back and try and remember all the sources.

And it depends how you use your notes when producing the final piece for work. We were warned against pulling out direct pieces of text, because some people might feel tempted to just use the direct text in their essay - or forget that it isn't in their own words. But as long as you make sure your not copying your notes word for word in your essay - it'll be fine.

Universities often have good resources for things that relate to the EPQ. For note taking;
    http://www.reading.ac.uk/internal/st...effective.aspx

All your work should be cited and referenced using a method such as 'Harvard Referencing' I believe. Citations can be in footnotes. Personally, as I used Harvard Referencing, citations were in brackets after the relevant text. Which included the name of author and publishing date.

Another university help page; http://www.staffs.ac.uk/assets/harva...cm44-47797.pdf
    Oh okay, I'm writing it out differently in my essay so it should be okay. But I still don't understand why footnotes are needed when there are brackets next to quotes and numbers which link to the bibliography. Thank you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CallumTheKing)
    Hi,

I'm 4000 words into my 5000 word epq, the topic is Slavery, and in particular the economic benefits for the southern states of America vs the issues as a result of slavery that have affected america, even today. Thats not the question title of the essay though btw, still trying to come up with a good one.

Ive come to the point where ive said almost everything i can think of and want to do my conclusion, problem is im terrible at conclusions and evaluating and all that jazz, so i was wondering if anybody could give me any good ideas for my conclusion, can you just weigh up the pros and cons? or is that too insensitive for my topic? If anyone want to have a crack a writing one for me please do or start me off at least haha, thanks in advance.

Some more information about my EPQ:

• Started of with economical benefits to the south and how it spurted economic growth in America,
    • Also talked about other benefits of slavery (controversial) - African Americans such Obama, movie and music stars, sportsmen, athletes etc. are some of the most powerful and most influential. African Americans have greatly improved the quality of sport,
    • Talked alot about the following racial segregation and Jim Crow Laws,
    • Issues today, inequality, in education and earnings, low aspirations and achievement of african americans, also talked about feelings of not belonging, removing african heritage etc..,
    • oops forgot, Also talked about how slavery caused the civil war, 750 k lives lost etc..

Thats about it, if you think you can help with my conclusion and anything else you think yiu can add to my epq please help because im not sure i can fill 1000 words with just a conclusion.

Thanks,
    That sounds like a brilliant essay. It's a 10% leeway with the word count so whilst it says "5000" it actually means between 4500 and 5500 not including your reference list.

"An investigation into the *social* and economic effects slavery has had on America from *DATE* to the modern day."
    This would be my shot at your title. I used *social* as I was unsure what issues you were exploring from the information in your title however social is good to focus on if you have not. Fill the *DATE* with earliest date you will be using in your essay. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help with accessing medical journals? All i seem to find are ones that cost to sign up too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ella2b)
    Can anyone help with accessing medical journals? All i seem to find are ones that cost to sign up too
    Most journals give you just an abstract then the full article costs money. Try the british medical journal (bmj.com)

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently having problems with a title for my EPQ, I know I can refine it during the project, but I would prefer to have some sort of question I can focus on.
    I'm planning to do it on Green Chemistry, more specifically on use of nanotechnology in water treatment, so in my essay I would like to compare this to conventional ways, and see if use of nanotechnology would be beneficial, but I don't know how to put it together. Any help would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Would it be better to do 5 A levels or 4 and an EPQ?
    (A levels would be 3 Sciences, Maths and Further Maths)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that is what i mean. Im looking for articles that i can access the whole of for free.

Any suggestions welcome

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I've nearly written around 6000 words for my essay and i've still got loads more to write! Does anyone know how strict they are with the limits? I'm AQA by the way.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cardigansandjeans)
    Hi,
    I've nearly written around 6000 words for my essay and i've still got loads more to write! Does anyone know how strict they are with the limits? I'm AQA by the way.
    Thanks
    I have the exact same problem. I have no idea how I'm going to do so much editing, but I heard they stretch to 5500 words not including your bibliography?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoggyTractor)
    I have the exact same problem. I have no idea how I'm going to do so much editing, but I heard they stretch to 5500 words not including your bibliography?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Mine was way over word limit at about 8000 including everything, teacher still marked it as A*, hopefully examiner agrees though. Im on edexcel.

Posted from TSR Mobile

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.