This discussion is closed.
Oldboy5745
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jong Il Kim)
done
Hey, I applied on the 13th of October (cam applicant). Can you add me to the list please? Got no gathered pile email btw
theworm
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Beef_Eater)
Ok cool...i see you shortlisted for LSE too...i would appreciate it if you could post your details on my thread. cheers!

The people on here have no idea what anyones chances really are its just idle speculation designed at comforting one's self perhaps your time would be better spent doing other things.

I spoke a summer school lecturer and he told me that aside from gcses and A'levels, they do look at the strength of the statement and use a % calculation based on your location and number of applicants from the surrounding area in deciding whether to make you an offer.

Besides as if your a foreign student your chances of obtaining a place are much better then if your a home student, which if pretty sad considering its a british university! but hey thats LSE for ya!
theworm
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Chardonae_Rowen)
indeed! lol good luck everyone!! might see you there if your doing law lol

Do you have an offer from LSE? If so bravo darling.
Marcx89
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by econ0403)
I reckon that tomoz will not be a huge offer day....
last year offer day is 18th...which means its a couple of days after the UCAS deadline..which means they would have had the time to go through all the applications..
they are, therfore, able to make quite a number of decisions...
however, this year...its on the 16th which is a only a day after....
theres just too little time for admissions office to consider all applications..
its goin to be only for a couple ofoxbridge applicants...i think
Lol, if they had considered all applicants by the 18th of january why would they have the rest of the people without offers wait 'til the end of march?
They already started considering applicants, even "late" applicants such as me, since i applied on the 21st of november and got rejected on tuesday (or monday can't tell). The majority of applicants will have applied before the deadline, so they still have enough time to consider new ones.
90kz11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hi

I received an offer from LSE for Law, in November. ( I applied in late September)

Is there anyone else here who has already got an offer and planning to go to LSE in particular? (to do law? or any other subject)

Good luck to everyone else waiting on offers! )
KirstyK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by theworm)
Besides as if your a foreign student your chances of obtaining a place are much better then if your a home student, which if pretty sad considering its a british university! but hey thats LSE for ya!
I hope that's accurate-I wouldn't mind that in the slightest!

(Original post by amar09)
from the past offers/rejections, ucas updates just before 12, usually intime for the 12 O'clock UCAS track notification email.
From what you have read about previous years, is this the only time during the day that they give offers? Or do they also continue offers into the afternoon before the 5pm UCAS email?

(Original post by Marcx89)
They already started considering applicants, even "late" applicants such as me, since i applied on the 21st of november and got rejected on tuesday (or monday can't tell). The majority of applicants will have applied before the deadline, so they still have enough time to consider new ones.
I concur, LSE sent me an email last week looking for my transcripts and were in touch with my school the day after I emailed them looking for my predictions for my current classes the day after and I submitted my application a couple days after you. I think they are probably looking at anyone who has submitted their applications prior to Christmas holidays. And the Oxbridge people without offers are probably in the 'maybe' pile so they can be compared to everyone else that submits an application
Marcx89
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If by foreign you mean outside the EU, as we europeans pay the same price as Uk students, so there's no financial advantage for them to take us. There's still the whole "multicultural" thing that LSE has, but i don't think it weighs that much when compared to money matters lol.
grademe
Report 10 years ago

I spoke a summer school lecturer and he told me that aside from gcses and A'levels, they do look at the strength of the statement and use a % calculation based on your location and number of applicants from the surrounding area in deciding whether to make you an offer.
This is the first I have ever heard of this: are you sure? If so it seems a highly controversial policy
amar09
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by KirstyK)

From what you have read about previous years, is this the only time during the day that they give offers? Or do they also continue offers into the afternoon before the 5pm UCAS email?
As far as i can tell, there might be a few offers between 12:00 and 12:30, but after that, the chances of anything are slim to none.
dawgnut
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There might be more places for internationals, but that doesn't necessarily mean they have a better chance? I mean, in some countries, people are forced to study and end up with very strong academic application, thus it may be more competitive? Does any one actually know the international students statistics?
veggie4life
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
so we're suspecting tomorrow is an offers day ?
shindu138
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
all this speculation is driving me crazyyy!!!
I_Am_Abbas
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by veggie4life)
so we're suspecting tomorrow is an offers day ?
I suspect nothing, but hoping offers.

Particularly if one happens to fall into my inbox
Marcx89
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jinru)
There might be more places for internationals, but that doesn't necessarily mean they have a better chance? I mean, in some countries, people are forced to study and end up with very strong academic application, thus it may be more competitive? Does any one actually know the international students statistics?
It's written somewhere on lse's website, i think it goes around 60% internationals and 40 % home students, but LSE is a very original place for that matter. The thing is, it's part of somekind of a lobby with oxbridge and other institutions that pressures the government into raising the tuition fees, saying that they can't keep up with america's concurrence if they don't do so. One of their means of pressure is to announce that they're going to accept more international students, and less locals, because internationals pay more.

Disclaimer: this is not a conspiration theory lol, many universities do that.
ninety_nine
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by grademe)
This is the first I have ever heard of this: are you sure? If so it seems a highly controversial policy
I very much doubt it - so many people from Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia etc. apply (many of whom are successful) compared to other places outside the EU. LSE don't strike me as the kind of institution that would allow in a mediocre student from New Zealand, rather than a fantastic one from Singapore purely to make up a more diverse student population.

I'm not so sure if tommorow will be offers - I'd imagine they'd be more decisions on the Monday personally. Fingers crossed though.
ninety_nine
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If by foreign you mean outside the EU, as we europeans pay the same price as Uk students, so there's no financial advantage for them to take us. There's still the whole "multicultural" thing that LSE has, but i don't think it weighs that much when compared to money matters lol.
Hey, are you the one who got the gathered pile e-mail for Social Policy with Government? I'm going for that too, no e-mail though! :sigh:

I did only get it off the 4th December.
JohnKennedy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
amar are ypu saying that offers come only between 12pm and 12:30pm? Many people have recieved offers in the afternoon though! I mean they have between 12 and 5pm don't they??
Marcx89
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ninety_nine)
Hey, are you the one who got the gathered pile e-mail for Social Policy with Government? I'm going for that too, no e-mail though! :sigh:

I did only get it off the 4th December.
Yep, that's me, i applied on the 20th november so it's just a little time before you, i can't say for sure, but i guess you'll hear from them in the month.

What an exciting course btw ^^, i'm crossing my fingers really hard, good luck to you too!
ninety_nine
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by JohnKennedy)
amar are ypu saying that offers come only between 12pm and 12:30pm? Many people have recieved offers in the afternoon though! I mean they have between 12 and 5pm don't they??
Offers can come at any time during the day/afternoon and evening (I got a Manchester offer appear around 7pm). It's the notification e-mails that are only sent at 12 and 5. So in theory, if you got an offer at 12:05 -it'd show up on Track but you still wouldn't get the e-mail until 5pm.
ninety_nine
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yep, that's me, i applied on the 20th november so it's just a little time before you, i can't say for sure, but i guess you'll hear from them in the month.

What an exciting course btw ^^, i'm crossing my fingers really hard, good luck to you too!
Yeah, I was really worried when I heard someone got a gathered pile for the course! Plus someone's already been rejected - eeep. Ah well, I'm post A-level so hopefully I'll hear something (good) soon. Good luck to you!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (555)
80.43%
Leave (135)
19.57%

Watched Threads