Turn on thread page Beta

The European/World Football Thread II watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Coentrao played CM for Madrid yesterday, alongside Alonso. Did quite well actually. Think it could be an anti-Messi strategy in the long run, being agile and quick should mean he should follow his twists and turns better than most.

Kaka looked very sharp when he came on, scored with his first touches, gave Ronaldo a tap in and created a couple more chances. Against a tiring Zaragoza I know, but it was a glimpse of the Milan Kaka. I'd love him to successfully re-invent himself into playing in an inside right position, taking Di Maria's place in the team. Only having the 15 minutes at the end when Ozil runs out of energy seems a shame. Should probably mention Ronaldo's hattrick as well, although it seemed routine. Best goalscorer in the world.

I was thinking during the match that, if you looked at the players purely on ability, a Barca-Madrid combined 11 would have 5 or even 6 Madrid players in. Casillas is better than Valdes, Pepe than Puyol, Marcelo than Abidal, Alonso than Busquets, then Ronaldo in the front 3 and maybe even Ozil as well (ahead of Villa). What seperates them is Barca's cohesiveness, and Messi.

ReputationRep:
    Davide Santon is in talks with Newcastle? :lolwut: Has he not improved at all since he made his debut?

ReputationRep:
    Would Alvaro Peirera play as part of a front 3 for Chelsea, as he wouldn't get in ahead of a.cole yet

Has he ever played as a forward winger for Porto/Uruguay

ReputationRep:
    1-0 Barca. Thiago.

Barca are lining up 3-4-3 aswell. :sexface:

Valdes, Busquets, Mascherano, Abidal; Thiago, Keita, Iniesta, Fabregas; Sanchez, Messi, Pedro.

ReputationRep:
    2-0. Fabregas.

Just before that Villarreal hit the bar and then it was cleared off the line.

And its now half time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louis.)
    Coentrao played CM for Madrid yesterday, alongside Alonso. Did quite well actually. Think it could be an anti-Messi strategy in the long run, being agile and quick should mean he should follow his twists and turns better than most.

Kaka looked very sharp when he came on, scored with his first touches, gave Ronaldo a tap in and created a couple more chances. Against a tiring Zaragoza I know, but it was a glimpse of the Milan Kaka. I'd love him to successfully re-invent himself into playing in an inside right position, taking Di Maria's place in the team. Only having the 15 minutes at the end when Ozil runs out of energy seems a shame. Should probably mention Ronaldo's hattrick as well, although it seemed routine. Best goalscorer in the world.

I was thinking during the match that, if you looked at the players purely on ability, a Barca-Madrid combined 11 would have 5 or even 6 Madrid players in. Casillas is better than Valdes, Pepe than Puyol, Marcelo than Abidal, Alonso than Busquets, then Ronaldo in the front 3 and maybe even Ozil as well (ahead of Villa). What seperates them is Barca's cohesiveness, and Messi.
    I disagree. I think the only players that would get in a Barca/Real team from Real would be Ronaldo, Alonso and maybe Pepe. Casillas has been poor for a few years now and Abidal is a far better defensive LB than either Marcelo or Coentrao tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    Just before that Villarreal hit the bar and then it was cleared off the line.
    It didn´t matter, Rossi was offside.

ReputationRep:
    4-0. Sanchez and Messi.

ReputationRep:
    5 :sogood:

ReputationRep:
    5 nil, for a change...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R-KAM)
    5 nil, for a change...
    Make you feel any better about yesterday?

ReputationRep:
    Barcelona really are on fire, even with some midfielders in defence. It really is frightening how good they are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JK.)
    Make you feel any better about yesterday?
    Throwing myself in front of a train seems to be the only suitable cure at the minute. Shambles, and I didn't even see it...

How about you...?

ReputationRep:
    :lol: I dunno what to think really. Made a big post in the Arse soc earlier about how I think there were a few positives to take from the game and there is more of a plan in place than what a lot of people seem to be making out. I just think things have been left too late and a lot of the stuff we're just starting to do now should have been done one, maybe two years back. The absence of time we have to sort things out only intensifies the pressure which isn't at all productive either.

Looks like we're in for a few players though - seems Park is almost a done deal, same with Santos. Gotze news pleases me too, even if it is unrealistic the figures thrown around and the calibre of player are both positive signs. The squad is crying out for a couple of big signings and the pressure they might help take off could be just as crucial as what they bring to the side, in the short term at least.

ReputationRep:
    Missed the game because of my trip to A&E :facepalm2: :facepalm2: :facepalm2: :facepalm2:

Looked at the line-up, looks crazy! Did Keita play at LB? I'm hoping they played a 1-3-3-3 formation :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    1-0 Barca. Thiago.

Barca are lining up 3-4-3 aswell. :sexface:

Valdes, Busquets, Mascherano, Abidal; Thiago, Keita, Iniesta, Fabregas; Sanchez, Messi, Pedro.
    Just saw this post :sexface:

Insane lineup

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)

Insane lineup
    I think Pep didn't trust Fontas enough hence so many midfielders. Having said that it could be an experiment, forget total football. How about Total midfield? A formation in which you play with 1 goalie, 7 midfielders and 3 forwards. Why not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Karma Charger)
    Davide Santon is in talks with Newcastle? :lolwut: Has he not improved at all since he made his debut?
    Haven't actually seen much, but i'm pretty certain they shunted him to left back (obviously because Maicon is at RB) and he didn't adapt well. Seems like you're signing him as a LB though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louis.)
    Haven't actually seen much, but i'm pretty certain they shunted him to left back (obviously because Maicon is at RB) and he didn't adapt well. Seems like you're signing him as a LB though.
    I think the same as well. Either way, much prefer to have him as a LB rather than Ryan Taylor and/or James Perch Also, Sky Italia claim Macheda is heading to the toon on a loan with no option to buy. Heard anything down your end?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)

Insane lineup
    It was more a 3-1-3-3 formation with Keita sitting deep allowing especially Fabregas to play as a striker :eek:

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.