Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    And 50% off when you collect at Dominoes :daydreaming:
    Oh thats right....that actually explains why he's always going to "pick up some pizza", or "eating some pizza" or doing something pizza related whenever I ring him! :rofl:

This hurts me so much. :p:

Where else does this card give you discounts? I might as well just let him get me whatever I need at such places when he finally breaks off for summer! :teeth:

I do have an NHS card from my work experience 3 years ago though which has no expiry date on it. I am yet to test the waters to see if this will work in Nandos (and now Dominoes ). I don't know why it has no expiry date on it though. Not complaining. haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Locke)
    massively jealous of any medical schools with the early NHS cards
    I'm pretty sure our local nandos accepts our Uni card as NHS as long as it says 'Medicine' on it.

ReputationRep:
    We get NHS cards in first year. I've never tried them at Nando's, but the Domino's local to Keele don't accept NHS cards for some bizarre reason. We've tried many times.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicine Man)
    Oh thats right....that actually explains why he's always going to "pick up some pizza", or "eating some pizza" or doing something pizza related whenever I ring him! :rofl:

This hurts me so much. :p:

Where else does this card give you discounts? I might as well just let him get me whatever I need at such places when he finally breaks off for summer! :teeth:

I do have an NHS card from my work experience 3 years ago though which has no expiry date on it. I am yet to test the waters to see if this will work in Nandos (and now Dominoes ). I don't know why it has no expiry date on it though. Not complaining. haha.
    Errrm there's an NHS Discounts website that you can sign up to and tells you all about the various discounts. Those are the only two I'm familiar with.

ReputationRep:
    It's definitely 20% discount at Nandos :moon: For the majority of first year I couldn't cook to save my life. There's a Nandos 10mins walk into South Ken that could very easily have been incorporated into/have become the weekly shop. Frankly an NHS card would have been dangerous

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phryx)
    I'm pretty sure our local nandos accepts our Uni card as NHS as long as it says 'Medicine' on it.
    I've tried that at both our local ones here and it didnt work. It only works if you have the NHS logo on your card. :sad:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Er, thats slightly extensive. I'd probably die under the pressure! :p:

We just had to know the following:
    CVS exam
    Resp exam
    Abdominal exam
    Shoulder exam
    Hip exam
    Knee exam
    BP measurement
    PEFR
    Walking the blind
    Talking to the deaf
    Thyroid exam
    Cranial Nerves exam
    Upper Limb exam (motor and sensory)
    Lower Limb exam (motor and sensory)
    GALS
    BLS
    Communication Skills (gaining consent, taking a history, dealing with angry patients etc).

I swear just doing that felt like a lot to do in second year so your stuff must be crazy hard! Thats not to put you off or anything before they start! Haha.

Ill Throw in the our enslaught:

Yr 1
    Taking Care of Your Back/Hand Hygiene /Waste disposal
    Building the Relationship/ Initiating the Session
    Basic Life Support
    Examination of the Male & Female Genitalia
    Gathering Information
    Basic Observations
    Blood Pressure
    Examination of the Pregnant Abdomen & Fetal Growth
    Venepuncture
    Examination of the Lymph Nodes
    Examination of the Newborn
    Injection Techniques
    Generic Symptom Framework/Closing the Session
    Musculoskeletal Examination
    Examination of Rashes and Skin Conditions
    Actor Simulated Allergies & Medication Histories
    Scrubbing, Gloving, Gowning & Theatre Etiquette
    Aseptic Technique & Simple Suturing
    Examination of the Breasts
    Examination of the Thyroid Gland
    Actor Simulated Alcohol & Smoking Histories
    Spirometry and Peak Flow Measurement
    Examination of the Respiratory System
    Actor Simulated Respiratory Histories
    Inhaler Techniques
    Actor Simulated Cardiovascular Histories
    Recording an ECG
    Examination of the Cardiovascular System
    Abdominal & Gastrointestinal Examination
    Actor Simulated Gastrointestinal Histories
    Examination of Swellings
    Examination of the Cranial Nerves
    Examination of the Motor System
    Examination of the Sensory System
    Ophthalmoscopy & Ear, Nose & Throat Examination
    Central Nervous System Histories including Mini-Mental State Exam

And they examined us on BLS, BP, Pregnant Abdomen Examination and Combined CVS/RS and GI examinations.

Year 2
    Case Presentation
    Drug Dose Calculations
    Actor Simulated Sexual Histories
    Actor Simulated Obstetric & Gynaecological Histories
    Giving Information
    Cardiorespiratory Signs
    Assessing Diabetes
    Musculoskeletal 'GALS' Screen
    Actor Simulated Musculoskeletal Histories
    Assessment of Nutritional State
    Basic Life Support with 2 Rescuers
    Basic Airway Management
    Paediatric Basic Life Support and the Choking Child
    Intravenous Cannulation
    Defibrillation
    Measuring CVP & Fluid Balance
    Glasgow Coma Scale and AVPU Assesments
    ECG Rhythm Analysis
    Breaking Bad News
    Cervical Smears
    Vaginal Swabs & Abnormal PV Examinations
    Urinary Catheterisation
    Urine Collection & Testing
    Mental State Examination
    Prescribing
    Blood Cultures & Swabs
    Intravenous Drugs & Infusions
    Nasogastric Tubes

Then they test us on IM Injection, MSK Exam (Shoulder & C-Spine), BLS (2 Resc), Airway management, PBLS, Chocking Child, Cannulation, Cranial nerve and motor and then the Year 2 ICSE.

Its pretty much 1/4 of the course and some of them seem so pointless!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I've tried that at both our local ones here and it didnt work. It only works if you have the NHS logo on your card. :sad:
    Luckily i have an actual NHS card too, its 25% Southwest and 20% london! (Nandos)

ReputationRep:
    If some prospective medical students came into this thread and saw a huge discussion on the discounts we can get at restaurants what would they think of us lol
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stanley90)
    If some prospective medical students came into this thread and saw a huge discussion on the discounts we can get at restaurants what would they think of us lol
    That we're students? :puppyeyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stanley90)
    That we like discounted chicken. :p:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hygeia)
    I'm now Dr Hygeia :eek:
    :woo:
    Er, thats slightly extensive. I'd probably die under the pressure! :p:

We just had to know the following:
    CVS exam
    Resp exam
    Abdominal exam
    Shoulder exam
    Hip exam
    Knee exam
    BP measurement
    PEFR
    Walking the blind
    Talking to the deaf
    Thyroid exam

Cranial Nerves exam
    Upper Limb exam (motor and sensory)
    Lower Limb exam (motor and sensory)
    GALS
    BLS
    Communication Skills (gaining consent, taking a history, dealing with angry patients etc).
    Add in ear and eye examination as well as phlebotomy

(Original post by carcinoma)
    We did cranial nerve exam in year 1 too, and sensory, motor and proprioception exam.
    :yes:
    Ill Throw in the our enslaught!
    :gasp:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    Anthrax man, all I need to round out the Big 4.
    First time seeing any of them for me!

On my looking forward to list: In Flames, Mastodon, Gojira, Opeth, Slipknot, Bill Bailey, The Mars Volta, Limp Bizkit (for the lols of course), Arch Enemy, Cavalera Conspiracy, Motorhead, Orange Goblin, Sylosis and Watain. In other words a lot! Can't wait, just getting excited for sorting out the madness that is the train journey for Camp Bath(TM).

ReputationRep:
    im glad we dont have preclinical OSCEs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Locke)
    im glad we dont have preclinical OSCEs
    :ditto:

I've got to say I don't understand what the value is of learning to do a speculum/antenatal examination if you're not actually going to do it on proper patients until you do O&G in 4th/5th year, or of being able to take bloods/cannulate plastic arms if you're not going to be doing it on the wards for another two years. I do think every med student should be able to do BLS (which Cambridge don't teach to its preclinical students), though I've been able to do it since forever thanks to various voluntary work bits and bobs, but beyond that unless you're doing a genuinely totally integrated course like UEA seems to be, lots of it seems rather pointless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hygeia)
    I'm now Dr Hygeia :eek:
    Would rep if it let me. Huge congrats!!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    :ditto:

I've got to say I don't understand what the value is of learning to do a speculum/antenatal examination if you're not actually going to do it on proper patients until you do O&G in 4th/5th year, or of being able to take bloods/cannulate plastic arms if you're not going to be doing it on the wards for another two years. I do think every med student should be able to do BLS (which Cambridge don't teach to its preclinical students), though I've been able to do it since forever thanks to various voluntary work bits and bobs, but beyond that unless you're doing a genuinely totally integrated course like UEA seems to be, lots of it seems rather pointless.
    We are on a somewhat totally integrated course too, we can be asked to do any examination we have been taught at yr 1 and year 2 GP placements. (they usually stick to the ones we have been examined on though - except histories they expect us to do those at anytime) and we are examined by GPs on various skills through 2nd year.

Personally I would say that learning how to do something in an environment where the outcome does not matter on actors or simulated patients, long before you do it on an actual patient increases your confidence and reduces the anxiety when it comes to doing it for real in year 2 or yr 3.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I would say that learning how to do something in an environment where the outcome does not matter on actors or simulated patients, long before you do it on an actual patient increases your confidence and reduces the anxiety when it comes to doing it for real in year 2 or yr 3.
    Concurred.

ReputationRep:
    Congrats Hygeia!

Also, LOL! Joined today!
    Okay now this is getting a bit weird.

(Original post by Mushi_master)
    Of course that stuff doesn't matter if it's an integrated course, but then those don't do Oxbridge transfers - probably doesn't matter overall though (especially as you're at King's next year ).

Probably should have guessed that
    On that note of King's, I hope we bump into each other at some point next year. I'm very excited. The only thing between me and King's is a pass in these upcoming exams and a pass in my last SSC. Fingers crossed.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed. But up to a point. That list was exhaustive! - where's the time for, ya know, pre-clinical stuff?!

Or maybe I'm thinking too black & white - if the course is completely and utterly integrated then that's a moot point really.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.