The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zed963
Why don't you do further maths or physics or computer science?

I hate English as well.

The place I'm going to is awkward. You have to choose one subject from each block. I can't take Further Maths because it would mean not taking Chemistry, which I obviously need for a medical degree.

From the last block I've got a choice of Media Studies, Business Studies, Physics, Geography, English Language and Literature and Law.

Media and Business are a waste of time. Physics would be a good choice but like English, I'm not particularly fond of it. Geography I can't do as I didn't take it at GCSE. So that leaves English or Law.

Stupid, stupid college.
Reply 4461
Has anyone volunteered at a hospital? I've heard they're pretty hard to get into.
Original post by techno836
:wavey: I'm excited :biggrin: :woo:

Let me know how you get on, and we can celebrate together. Like the nerds we are.
Haha thankyou :smile: I'm currently Pre-learning chemistry AS :smile:

'Pre-learning'- I see you're getting a headstart on your classmates already. :run:. What board are you taking your subjects at?
Reply 4464
Original post by snikutsmullac
The place I'm going to is awkward. You have to choose one subject from each block. I can't take Further Maths because it would mean not taking Chemistry, which I obviously need for a medical degree.

From the last block I've got a choice of Media Studies, Business Studies, Physics, Geography, English Language and Literature and Law.

Media and Business are a waste of time. Physics would be a good choice but like English, I'm not particularly fond of it. Geography I can't do as I didn't take it at GCSE. So that leaves English or Law.

Stupid, stupid college.

If I was you I would've taken physics for many reasons.

Seen as you have a good combo of science and mathematics based subjects, physics should complement all the other ones that you are taking.
I wouldn't want to switch from an English mood to a science mood all the time.
English is more time taking, if you like writing essays upon essays then go for it, but I'm sure you don't

Plus if you don't like physics just drop it after a year.
Reply 4465
Original post by EvasiveRose
'Pre-learning'- I see you're getting a headstart on your classmates already. :run:. What board are you taking your subjects at?

I nearly fainted opening the Chemistry AQA GCE book.

:redface: Looks hard.

Stupid, stupid college.

most medical uni's don't accept further maths with maths :frown: (at least at A2 anyway) and I'd choose English ..although I hate places that do it in blocks like that and limit your choices or force you to have one you don't like :frown:
Original post by zed963
If I was you I would've taken physics for many reasons.

Seen as you have a good combo of science and mathematics based subjects, physics should complement all the other ones that you are taking.
I wouldn't want to switch from an English mood to a science mood all the time.
English is more time taking, if you like writing essays upon essays then go for it, but I'm sure you don't

Plus if you don't like physics just drop it after a year.

I'm really not sure, cause I'm worried of taking it and not getting a good grade which will count against me for medicine

yepp :lol: and I know maths is OCR MEI and i'm not too sure for the others which order they're in :/ ... I believe its biology is OCR, Physics is Edexcel, and chemistry is AQA :smile:

Let me know how you get on, and we can celebrate together. Like the nerds we are.

I will do :biggrin: .. I got a neg ??? :dontknow:
most medical uni's don't accept further maths with maths :frown: (at least at A2 anyway) and I'd choose English ..although I hate places that do it in blocks like that and limit your choices or force you to have one you don't like :frown:

I would never in a million years get a grade in further maths that meets the standard needed for medicine. I wouldn't put myself through it D:
Original post by zed963
I nearly fainted opening the Chemistry AQA GCE book.

:redface: Looks hard.

I agree. But hopefully TSR will get us through Chemistry :yay:
I'm either going to be doing Chemistry with the AQA board or OCR board depending on the sixth form I end up with. Although, it's most likely going to be the OCR board. If anyone has any experience of doing GCSE/A-Level exams with OCR feel free to share :smile:
I would never in a million years get a grade in further maths that meets the standard needed for medicine. I wouldn't put myself through it D:

haha my school tried forcing me to do 5 AS's by taking further maths :s-smilie: tried and failed :lol: .. I don't think so not with there being no January exams anymore either :emo:
Reply 4472
I agree. But hopefully TSR will get us through Chemistry :yay:
I'm either going to be doing Chemistry with the AQA board or OCR board depending on the sixth form I end up with. Although, it's most likely going to be the OCR board. If anyone has any experience of doing GCSE/A-Level exams with OCR feel free to share :smile:

I've heard they're supposed to be the most comprehensive.

My sixth form were supposed to do OCR physics but they changed to AQA for some reason.
I'm really not sure, cause I'm worried of taking it and not getting a good grade which will count against me for medicine

I'm interested in medicine too. If I was you, I'd go for English as it shows you have more breadth (strong essay subject) instead of Physics (which if you don't have a passion for, will most likely end up struggling to do)
Reply 4474
Original post by pinkgorilla
Hopefully, they will be low. Maybe like around 40-something for an A*. Hopefully low 40s so that 100 UMS wont be too hard to get.

What about an A?:smile:
haha my school tried forcing me to do 5 AS's by taking further maths :s-smilie: tried and failed :lol: .. I don't think so not with there being no January exams anymore either :emo:

The college I'm going to tried to get everyone to take just three; I completely refused... if anything, I'd want to take five. Even a fifth one in General Studies or Critical Thinking is better to have than not, seens as how easy they're meant to be.
Just want to say good luck peeps :biggrin: I was in your position last year so I know what it's like :smile: Just get through it all then you can enjoy the fun of A-levels!
I'm interested in medicine too. If I was you, I'd go for English as it shows you have more breadth (strong essay subject) instead of Physics (which if you don't have a passion for, will most likely end up struggling to do)

Believe me, I don't have a passion for English either. That's why I considered law. It's quite essay based, I've never done it before so it's something a bit more varied and I think I'd find it much easier and enjoyable than English. But isn't it a "soft" subject?
Original post by g.k.galloway
Just want to say good luck peeps :biggrin: I was in your position last year so I know what it's like :smile: Just get through it all then you can enjoy the fun of A-levels!

What did you get? :biggrin:
Original post by g.k.galloway

Thanks, how did you get on with your A-Level results on Thursday if you don't mind me asking?

Latest