Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    Do not put words into my mouth, I said the situation at home is a major cause of poor behaviour in addition to the other things I listed. Lack of attention comes from bad parenting as the two are linked. Some parents have children as a symbol but the parents do not play with the children, read them bed time stories, spend time with them, talk to them, or show interest in their lives, the parents make food for their children and buy their children clothes or gadgets but ignore them; this is the lack of attention that causes bad behaviour in children who want to be noticed. I think we can state the parents who have children but do not want to embrace their roles as parents can be called bad parents, likewise the parents who smoke around their children, beat their children, sexually abuse their children, do not feed their children, and do not wash their children can also be considered bad parents.

I did not see where that was written, but it is only right to challenge teachers on decision but there is a way to do it politely. Challenging teachers does not involve being disobedient, shouting out in lessons, being rude, swearing, throwing tables around, talking when the teacher is talking, or doing anything else disruptive. Challenging teachers is done by calmly and politely asking for a why behind a command given by a teacher while start to comply with the command. If a teacher decided to send a child to the headteacher's room the correct way to challenge the teacher would be to get up, walk towards the door, but politely ask the teacher on the way out for an explanation for the command given. If a pupil wanted to challenge the teacher during teaching time under the belief the teacher had stated something factually incorrect the pupil can raise a hand to ask a question about what has been written down in the work or on the board.
    Actually you said it was the number one cause.
    What you described in bold is also seen in the very rich not just the poor...
    But it's good to see that are against corporal punishment.

It was right in the middle, and what you describe would be perfect in an idea world, but we aren't in an idea world, there are many teachers who refuse to be challenged even when done politely and people don't always notice things are wrong until you act out.

ReputationRep:
    No, that cannot be the case as there are decent families who are poorly educated and well-educated people who are in troubled relationships, implying other factors influence poor family life where the bad behaviour stems from. If bad family life was the result of bad education the situation will not improve until the attitude of the poorer people changes to one where ambition, hard work, and success is fostered.
    Children's charity Bernardo's agrees the bad behaviour of children mostly lies with poor family life, and reports also confirm the biggest causes of bad behaviour in children stems from lack of attention and bad parenting. Mental health is undoubtedly a contributing factor in some children but it is not the be all and end all of bad behaviour.

Just because there are some exceptions doesn't mean if your Dad's not educated, and his Dad before him, doesn't impact on your social mobility.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by United1892)
    All students Before the major exams e.g. 11 plus, GCSE and A-Levels or equivilents.
    Well, that's going to waste a lot of taxpayer money
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Actually you said it was the number one cause.
    What you described in bold is also seen in the very rich not just the poor...
    But it's good to see that are against corporal punishment.

It was right in the middle, and what you describe would be perfect in an idea world, but we aren't in an idea world, there are many teachers who refuse to be challenged even when done politely and people don't always notice things are wrong until you act out.
    Yes, I stand by that because attention seeking, lack of confidence, and immaturity, all of which are sources of bad behaviour, results from parenting. It is present in the very rich, yes, but the debate is centring around the poor education of the lower classes being a consequence of their attitudes to learning. I would not say I am against corporal punishment because I believe washing a child's mouth out with soap is a fitting punish for swearing, and a smack is a fitting punishment for unruly behaviour but whipping children continually with a belt and beating them up for minor things, or for no reason at all, is assault.

If teachers do not notice when things are not right or do not like to be challenged the teachers should not be teaching, however, in the state sector it is very difficult to get rid of an under-performing teacher. You have raised a new debate which is about the need to revamp the quality of teacher training in Britain to create higher standards in the pastoral care department.

ReputationRep:
    Are Labour and Conservative two sides of the same coin? 😏

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheJustice)
    duh, you have to be very flexible in contemporary pollitics
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Perhaps to the extent that Yin and Yang, the Jedi Order and the Sith, Hope and Despair are two sides of the metaphysical coin.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Yes, I stand by that because attention seeking, lack of confidence, and immaturity, all of which are sources of bad behaviour, results from parenting. It is present in the very rich, yes, but the debate is centring around the poor education of the lower classes being a consequence of their attitudes to learning. I would not say I am against corporal punishment because I believe washing a child's mouth out with soap is a fitting punish for swearing, and a smack is a fitting punishment for unruly behaviour but whipping children continually with a belt and beating them up for minor things, or for no reason at all, is assault.

If teachers do not notice when things are not right or do not like to be challenged the teachers should not be teaching, however, in the state sector it is very difficult to get rid of an under-performing teacher. You have raised a new debate which is about the need to revamp the quality of teacher training in Britain to create higher standards in the pastoral care department.
    And genetics too... You seem to put too much of a point on nurture not nature. An I would say that that has some truth in that they have no role models who made it out of the working class trap.

Thing is to do that either we need fewer children, or more teachers which we have to pay more for

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Hope and Despair are two sides of the metaphysical coin.

Despair? That's not a nice way to name your party!

ReputationRep:
    no
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by APlantinga)
    Cameron was talking common sense then. If you up employers costs to provide jobs, demand for those jobs will lower. That's simple economics. Not to mention how great zero hours contracts are from those who use them, including hostpital bank staff and myself.
    If the jobs are essential to the employer's business model - as most zero hours contracts jobs are - then they won't be cut. For example, let's say McDonald's has a restaurant which it has noticed is busier on Mondays and Thursdays. So in this particular restaurant it employs 5 extra servers to deal with the extra customers that come in on Mondays and Thursdays. These people are on zero hours contracts because the number of extra customers on Mondays and Thursdays varies from week to week due to factors such as weather or major sports tournaments, so some weeks they are needed less than others. Let's say zero hours contracts are then completely abolished except on a very short term basis. McDonald's has two choices. It can keep all of the extra people on permanent contracts, or it can sack 3 of them altogether and only keep 2 of the extra staff, meaning that on some weeks McDonald's has a more overstretched workforce in that restaurant who are therefore less friendly, so the customer service quality goes down, so that particular McDonald's starts to get a bad reputation, so more people go to the KFC down the road instead. Which one is McDonald's going to choose?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    No. Labour cares about the people. The Tories care about themselves and/or the people they went to [insert £30k a year private secondary school] with. For the most part, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Well that's very much appreciated.
    Will you join me in my campaign to make you permanent ruler?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    Will you join me in my campaign to make you permanent ruler?
    Haha, what does that campaign involve?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    No. Labour cares about the people. The Tories care about themselves and/or the people they went to [insert £30k a year private secondary school] with. For the most part, anyway.
    If that's so then why increase the personal allowance and tax thresholds, increase funding to the NHS or aim to improve economically the areas where the poor people live?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Aph)
    And genetics too... You seem to put too much of a point on nurture not nature. An I would say that that has some truth in that they have no role models who made it out of the working class trap.

Thing is to do that either we need fewer children, or more teachers which we have to pay more for
    Self belief is more important than role models in my opinion. I never really had a role model in school, but I did know that I'm extremely bright.

More teachers.

(Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    You need to stop listening to the hard left.

Tories care about the people (need I remind you that on foreign affairs its you guys who want to sit back while people are slaughtered), we simply believe that on economic issues prosperity comes from individual's acting in their own self interest.

As Thatcher said in the context, society is simply a collection of individuals.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Self belief is more important than role models in my opinion. I never really had a role model in school, but I did know that I'm extremely bright.

More teachers.

You need to stop listening to the hard left.

Tories care about the people (need I remind you that on foreign affairs its you guys who want to sit back while people are slaughtered), we simply believe that on economic issues prosperity comes from individual's acting in their own self interest.

As Thatcher said in the context, society is simply a collection of individuals.
    but if you dont belive that you can make it, or indeed you belive that no mater what you cant make it then you do badly, and that stems from not seeing people making it and having nothing to aspire to.

don't have the population & we need to cut the global population anyway to about 4bn preferably, 3bn would be nicer.

and thats is short term, we see it as getting involved will cost more lives long term.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Aph)
    but if you dont belive that you can make it, or indeed you belive that no mater what you cant make it then you do badly, and that stems from not seeing people making it and having nothing to aspire to.

don't have the population & we need to cut the global population anyway to about 4bn preferably, 3bn would be nicer.

and thats is short term, we see it as getting involved will cost more lives long term.
    Cutting the global population may be needed but we should increase the UK's.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, what does that campaign involve?
    You declaring yourself Emperor and an Act of Parliament to confirm it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Well, if a new (and probnably dodgy) poll is anything to go by you're getting your way, as are we. You get Corbyn, we pull this Conservative streak from 41 years to over a century.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.