Turn on thread page Beta

The Commons Bar Mk VIII - MHoC Chat Thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bun)
    I mentioned it once, discussing it with tehFrance, and then simply made a joke about it.
    You have mentioned it loads of times. You should thank me for the heads up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mechie)
    You have mentioned it loads of times. You should thank me for the heads up.
    You didn't have to read the comments if you weren't interested. That tends to be what I do on here.

This house really is becoming a horrible place.

(Original post by bun)
    For me, I think I like most days to be around 15 degrees. Not too warm, not too cold. But when on holiday, where I don't have to worry about being stuck at work and can just enjoy it, I like it between 25 - 35.

But I also like it at about 5 degrees wandering round Austria/Paris and getting the most bizarre looks because I wasn't wearing about 18 layers of clothing, plus gloves, scarf and hat. 5 degrees is T-shirt weather in Yorkshire, everyone knows that!

I think this could be your year - excellent team!!
    What is love to see is you romp to the final, then your coach driver go on strike, so you miss the match and Brazil or whoever your opponent is wins by default

Might just be the thing that changes the national attitude to striking!
    Finally an Englishman that likes it hot although what gets you is the humidity rather than the heat, the heat can be fine but the humidity is a *****.

We're not an excellent team, we're still finding our feet and both games were against easy as pie teams, wait until we advance and we'll see whether we're good or not, I think we'll get far
    We get it, some people in France are on strike, there's no need to incessantly go on about it.
    Yes well he's typical of the English, a strike is a big deal to them

ReputationRep:
    Far be it for a woman to come between some men, but do calm down.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by meenu89)
    Amen to that! Anyway, how are you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    Amen to that! Anyway, how are you?
    Not bad, been shopping for some more baby things today, how are you?
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Not bad, been shopping for some more baby things today, how are you?
    Nice. I hope you don't mind me asking - how many months gone are you? I'm fine thanks - just doing some more redrafting of my dissertation at the moment - the joys!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bun)
    You didn't have to read the comments if you weren't interested. That tends to be what I do on here.

This house really is becoming a horrible place.
    I check this thread every day, and every day you're on here talking about strikes. It's pretty difficult to not read them. People don't generally like when someone self absorbently goes on about one thing, and I was trying to help you by indicating that you may have mentioned it just a touch over once or twice already.

ReputationRep:
    Nice. I hope you don't mind me asking - how many months gone are you? I'm fine thanks - just doing some more redrafting of my dissertation at the moment - the joys!
    Eight months and two weeks (37 weeks).
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Eight months and two weeks.
    Not too long away now then - do you know whether it will be a boy or a girl?

ReputationRep:
    I find myself agreeing with you 99% of the time, and certainly usually I tend to be on the side of asking people to keep it civil in here, but I'm just getting fed up of every little thing being criticised or picked up on etc.

It's as though the aim of the posts are simply to make a point rather than be constructive etc. And frankly, I'm not going to sit back and watch that happen. The House has got worse and worse over about a 2 year period. The intellectual debates are fewer, the controversies are higher, and the arguments are pettier. I decided my sitting back and asking people to be calm etc hasn't helped anything, simply allowed people to get away with more and more. Appeasement much

ReputationRep:
    Not too long away now then - do you know whether it will be a boy or a girl?
    It's a surprise, got two names ready.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    It's a surprise, got two names ready.
    I've always thought that was better than knowing the sex of the child before they're born. I've always imagined that it just adds to the joy of the day. I suppose, and I realise that this comparison is rather flippant, but it's like knowing what's in every present you receive before it's Christmas or your Birthday if that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bun)
    x
    The only reason I said it was because I don't want anyone here to get any warnings.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    What a game of rugby! I think I need to calm down a little!

ReputationRep:
    I check this thread every day, and every day you're on here talking about strikes. It's pretty difficult to not read them. People don't generally like when someone self absorbently goes on about one thing, and I was trying to help you by indicating that you may have mentioned it just a touch over once or twice already. You're the one that started throwing the insults around. You should be thanking me.
    It's not difficult not to read them. Just don't - it's really not that hard! I don't get involved in other conversations that go on a fair bit.

My point is that I made one comment, then got into a conversation with tehFrance about it. What am I supposed to do? Just ignore him? I think that would be rude. So then for Saoirse to come along and make a snide comment that was just wrong (pointing out I'd made 4 comments, as though to suggest my previous post was a lie, but actually, 3 of the 4 were part of the original conversation) then of course I'm going to react.

I have perhaps overreacted in an aggressive way, for which I apologise, but it's precisely because as I've just pointed out to Meenu, I'm fed up of the House getting pettier and pettier, and thought a straight out aggression (which if you look back over my time on here you'll see is really not like me) might be the only way to get some people to calm down.

You didn't need to point anything out in the first place, you could have just ignored, as Im sure many others on here who weren't involved in the conversation have done. But no, you wanted to make me look silly, so naturally I'm going to stand my ground. I don't like your supercilious tone - especially the 'you should thank me for pointing it out' bit.

So, apologies for the strong reaction, but I'm getting sick of people having little squabbles. I'd prefer one big argument every now and again and mostly people just getting along rather than people making little comments here and there, which seems to be how the House is now- it's simply not as welcoming as when I joined, or for about 3 years after I joined, and I don't like that because I want more people to get involved in the House to make it a more active and fun place where people can feel part of something.

ReputationRep:
    The only reason I said it was because I don't want anyone here to get any warnings.
    I know - and thank you! Always the voice of reason! I just needed to get it off my chest I think, because if we carry on like this we won't have MHoC at all in about a year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O133)
    What a game of rugby! I think I need to calm down a little!
    Indeed!! What a match!! I usually find Rugby Union tedious, and mainly just watch League, but that was brilliant - such tension at the end!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bun)
    It's not difficult not to read them. Just don't - it's really not that hard! I don't get involved in other conversations that go on a fair bit.

My point is that I made one comment, then got into a conversation with tehFrance about it. What am I supposed to do? Just ignore him? I think that would be rude. So then for Saoirse to come along and make a snide comment that was just wrong (pointing out I'd made 4 comments, as though to suggest my previous post was a lie, but actually, 3 of the 4 were part of the original conversation) then of course I'm going to react.

I have perhaps overreacted in an aggressive way, for which I apologise, but it's precisely because as I've just pointed out to Meenu, I'm fed up of the House getting pettier and pettier, and thought a straight out aggression (which if you look back over my time on here you'll see is really not like me) might be the only way to get some people to calm down.

You didn't need to point anything out in the first place, you could have just ignored, as Im sure many others on here who weren't involved in the conversation have done. But no, you wanted to make me look silly, so naturally I'm going to stand my ground. I don't like your supercilious tone - especially the 'you should thank me for pointing it out' bit.

So, apologies for the strong reaction, but I'm getting sick of people having little squabbles. I'd prefer one big argument every now and again and mostly people just getting along rather than people making little comments here and there, which seems to be how the House is now- it's simply not as welcoming as when I joined, or for about 3 years after I joined, and I don't like that because I want more people to get involved in the House to make it a more active and fun place where people can feel part of something.
    I don't even know what supercilious means, but after a google I'd like to suggest that you're the one being supercilious, trying to use strategies to make them act in the way that you wish them to. This isn't a very good way to deal with people, is it? Such things like "I responded like that to try to..." just isn't going to resonate well with me, and if it doesn't sit well with me I'm sure I'm not that unusual for me to be the only one. It just smacks of "I know best and I'll try to do things to make you act how I want you to act for what I view to be the best". I'm not going to respond the way you want me to if you treat me like a robot at your bidding than an actual human being.

I wasn't trying to make you look silly at all, in fact precisely the opposite. I was merely trying to help by saying that you're running the risk of boring people if you don't stop talking about strikes. I assume you wouldn't want people to be bored with you and what you're saying, that would make you look silly, so I was trying to help you by preventing that situation.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Just checked and I'm now Father of the House!

• create my feed
  • edit my feed
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.