Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    To what universities should I apply to if I got a score of 1810? Although it is not a very good score at all, I have very good predicted grades and work experience.

Thank you !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sniperdon227)
    esc on actual exam
    What?!?!???? Someone told me it was the backspace button when I asked this question before??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jason Wong)
    I'd say not to push it back, only because you're just going to stress yourself out so much (like I did), how much revision have you done? I think if you've done roughly 2 weeks revision or 30 ish hours then you're fine to complete the exam. As for work wise, could you take time off work? And college, well I came back to school on the 5th and my exam was on the 8th, but even though I was given loads of work to do I ignored it until I completed the exam and then played the "catch up game"

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you for replying! I pushed it back to the 22nd and I'm feeling so much more confident with it now which is important since I only get one chance this year so fingers crossed it goes well. I've been revising for 3 ish weeks and I've definitely done 30+ hours but nothing overly excessive especially with how spread out revision has been.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zoemccarthy34)
    Ypu are like my opposite!!!!!!! I really struggle with QR and AR please helpme? How hard are they compared to medify? How do you know when to guess and go for QR? Tricks to make it shorter? Help finding patterns for AR!!!!! Congrats BTW
    Thank you!

QR is more about speed and accuracy. If the question is very long and includes a lot of words I just GFS it and carried on.

Medify is a good rough guide for how the teat is! I honestly 100% recommend UKCAT Ninja that was best representative for the test along with the official UKCAT questions.

Start practicing getting faster using the keyboard for the calculator and simple mental maths. Round up and down as well to make it easier for you. Also check the range of answer options. If there are very close together need to use calculator!

I recommend getting your hands on as many questions and just practicing. UKCAT is nothing like GCSE and a level however the more you practice the better the outcome! You might not see the improvement immediately or in mocks but it'll pay off I believe.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emelinaw)
    Does anyone know if 2110 (703 average) would be good enough for the UKCAT heavy universities - i.e. KCL and Newcastle? I remember reading that the KCL cutoff was 735 one year, and it seems that everyone's getting good scores this year
    TSR is not representative of the whole population! Everyone will have a better idea when UKCAT release statistics an decile in early October!

Kings cut off was 630 last year, they do not have a precise cut off. Despite their reputation of being a UKCAT heavy university.

Well done on your score!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HMarles)
    Hi,

I only did the medify mocks and I can say, for me at least, that they were a bit harder than the actual exam. I didn't break 700 on the mocks, but got 740 in the actual exam despite having a cold and getting harder VR questions than I was used to.

I would say something important is not to stress out too much Easier said than done, I know, but it is important for the actual test. Not being stressed lets you focus more and get into the UKCAT rhythm during the exam.

For VR, definitely learn to skim-read the passages if you haven't already and for t/f/ct questions I found it really helpful to read the question first. However, for the other type of multiple choice, I read the whole passage and made note of where each of the key points was. For QR, skip anything you think will take longer than 40 seconds, this will help you answer every question within the time limit (even if it is a guess) and give you more time for the easy-peasy questions. AR I'm trash at, so don't ask me. SJ is the same as AR aha.

Hope that helps you! And stay chilled out
    Thank you!!! May I ask how much did you score in the actual thing and how much preparation you did? I panic in the VR only because i skim read the passage and i forget when i read the question, so I tend to take the searching for keywords approach! Thanks again x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MihneaS)
    To what universities should I apply to if I got a score of 1810? Although it is not a very good score at all, I have very good predicted grades and work experience.

Thank you !
    I'm in a similar position to you I got 1820 but have good work experience ect.
    I know that Bristol, Leicester, Dundee and Aberdeen don't have a cut off but some of them are using a scoring system instead. Are you considering BMAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    I just UKCAT Practice Paper A, and I found it so difficult. I did well in VR, but in QR I got only 11 correct. I just found it really hard. Can anyone tell me if the first paper is like the actual exam? If yes then I'm screwed

Also which website is best to improve my QR?
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know how i can improve my sjt score??? i have read the gmc good medical practice but it wasn't of must help... i keep on getting partially correct answers when i want to be getting fully correct answers ... any tips???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mm_7)
    does anyone know how i can improve my sjt score??? i have read the gmc good medical practice but it wasn't of must help... i keep on getting partially correct answers when i want to be getting fully correct answers ... any tips???
    Weirdly I manage to do quite well in this section when practicing!

Biggest tip is to go by what you SHOULD do, rather than what you WOULD do. The main areas that come up include key topics such as

-confidentiality - if the matter involves patient information it needs to be kept confidential (so it would be very inappropriate for a couple of doctors to be talking about a particular patient in a public place for example)

-professionalism - make sure that the actions are within professional boundaries. Also, the patient's wants and needs ALWAYS come first (apart from in extreme circumstances when what they want is deemed unethical etc)

-honesty - if someone tells you about a difficult situation they are in and asks you to promise not to tell anyone, you shouldn't agree to it and then lie.

You'll get the hang of it with practice, honest. I wish SJT was included within the actual score! It would bring my average up by a lot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lahigueraxxx)
    Weirdly I manage to do quite well in this section when practicing!

Biggest tip is to go by what you SHOULD do, rather than what you WOULD do. The main areas that come up include key topics such as

-confidentiality - if the matter involves patient information it needs to be kept confidential (so it would be very inappropriate for a couple of doctors to be talking about a particular patient in a public place for example)

-professionalism - make sure that the actions are within professional boundaries. Also, the patient's wants and needs ALWAYS come first (apart from in extreme circumstances when what they want is deemed as unethical etc)

-honesty - if someone tells you about a difficult situation they are in and asks you to promise not to tell anyone, you shouldn't agree to it and then lie.

You'll get the hang of it with practice, honest. I wish SJT was included within the actual score! It would bring my average up by a lot
    Thanks soo much for this advice i will bear this in mind when i am practicing... i totally agree with you on the sjt being included... that would raise everyone's average up alot ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mm_7)
    Thanks soo much for this advice i will bear this in mind when i am practicing... i totally agree with you on the sjt being included... that would raise everyone's average up alot ...
    You're welcome Ikr ugh, I'm personally really worried about QR as my mental maths isn't great at all :/ good luck for yours!

ReputationRep:
    How many do you have to get right in SJT to get band 1. im averaging out at 45/69 excluding partial marks be idk how they count that.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone on here revised for 2 weeks and got an average score of 700+? *

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaVinciGirl)
    Hey
    I just UKCAT Practice Paper A, and I found it so difficult. I did well in VR, but in QR I got only 11 correct. I just found it really hard. Can anyone tell me if the first paper is like the actual exam? If yes then I'm screwed

Also which website is best to improve my QR?
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Omg Lol I was worried about the same exact thing lololol IT was crazy that paper I asked about this earlier and yeah everyone who did good told me that that paper was extremely hard and even the QR it had extrememly long questions and that take you a while i got a 11 on my first time tooo >.> and I was soo scared cause in medify I always got aroudn 75% for QR So jsut calm lol I figured the best thing to practice for the UKCAT is to not stress out when I do questions completely disregarding the ticking clock but at a good pace I end up getting a wayyy higher score.Rushing might help you finish the whole thing but accuracy drops by a realllly large amount. I'd rather do 40/50 questions right for sure and then guess the last 10 rather than doign all 50 but not being sure abotu any

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pvk19.)
    Thank you!!! May I ask how much did you score in the actual thing and how much preparation you did? I panic in the VR only because i skim read the passage and i forget when i read the question, so I tend to take the searching for keywords approach! Thanks again x
    I got:
    VR 680
    QR 850
    AR 690
    SJ Band 2

I did the 1000 qus book once and had medify for a week and did about 1000 questions on that plus two mocks. I would personally suggest doing more than I have done, as I feel that I could have done better in VR and AR with more practice.

Hope that helps you!

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone I just did my Medify Mock 2... I got 650 in QR, 650 in VR, 770 in AR adn SJT band 2..... Should i be worried.... o.o Im kinda scared.. I realized i made a huge mistake of flagging all the type 2 VR question to do the t/f/ct questions first and wasted a lot of time like that and i didnt really flag the hard QR questions which i feel like i shudve done cause I couldn't finish it... How did all of you do in your medify 2 mocks and how did they compare to your actual score?

ReputationRep:
    is it worth applying to St Georges with an average of 627 and band 2? :/
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by exotical)
    is it worth applying to St Georges with an average of 627 and band 2? :/
    Most likely not as their cut off score for interview last year was 650.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is a two week subscription to medify good enough to improve my skills?

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.