Coca Cola (Sweet & Sticky)
    30.11%
    Pepsi (Cool & Crisp)
    36.56%
    Sex.
    33.33%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukdragon37)
    I have been told by upper-year compscis not to bother reading any books except referring to Cormen once in a while. Well it seemed to work for them, since they got firsts :p:
    Oh, I'm sure it's not necessary, but they're worth the reading nonetheless (and, frankly, The Dragon Book remains the compiler book). I'd love to own the existing volumes of TAOCP but haven't the money. :o:

:facepalm2: For once I do not know what to say to this
    :awesome: I loved that and Airwolf as a kid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Before Unbeliever comes in with his theory of how many times I say goodbye before I actually leave:

Off for real, bye.
    Continuing on from the epic written trailer above when read in the typical powerful trailer VoiceOver

Chat Thread

Cinema near you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    Oh, I'm sure it's not necessary, but they're worth the reading nonetheless (and, frankly, The Dragon Book remains the compiler book). I'd love to own the existing volumes of TAOCP but haven't the money. :o:
    Maybe if you write to Donald Knuth with a sob story of how you are a poor but passionate student of computer science living on carrots everyday and how the horrid UL is pimping itself to the highest bidder he might send you a free, signed copy :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Elijah Wood as Ukdragon37
    James McAvoy as TheUnbeliever
    Darren Knight as noob
    :rofl: I wish.

That depiction wouldn't even come close to reality.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe if you write to Donald Knuth with a sob story of how you are a poor but passionate student of computer science living on carrots everyday and how the horrid UL is pimping itself to the highest bidder he might send you a free, signed copy :rofl:
    Perhaps there are other viable tactics...

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps there are other viable tactics...

We should bet on who will get a Knuth Hexadecimal Certificate first :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    We should bet on who will get a Knuth Hexadecimal Certificate first :awesome:
    :awesome: Runners up: getting an acknowledgement in LP's notes. :p:

I might have already asked you this, in which case I apologise, but have you considered doing one of the Cambridge UROPs this summer? I might investigate if some of the other things I'm applying for/looking at fall through.

ReputationRep:
    :awesome: Runners up: getting an acknowledgement in LP's notes. :p:

I might have already asked you this, in which case I apologise, but have you considered doing one of the Cambridge UROPs this summer? I might investigate if some of the other things I'm applying for/looking at fall through.
    I didn't no. I think my overriding priority would be to get a job :p:

ReputationRep:
    I didn't no. I think my overriding priority would be to get a job :p:
    Nuffield Scheme pays. :p: I'm trying desperately to line up things that are a) interesting/technical and b) paying, because I think I've got a better chance of getting into them that a standard student vacation job (because I actually then have marketable skills rather than nothing special to distinguish me from the ocean of other candidates).

ReputationRep:
    Finished the presentation :awesome: but now the essay! I've taken a serious disliking to Geography...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosie9391)
    Finished the presentation :awesome: but now the essay! I've taken a serious disliking to Geography...
    :console: Just avoid work. That's my tactic...

(Original post by Dado Prso)
    what the unbeliever said.

eligibility criteria:

1. First generation applicant to higher education
    2. Adverse home circumstances (e.g. long term physical/mental illness or disability of a close family member; large or complex family such as step family; family break up/single parent family; overcrowded accommodation such as shared room/no private study area)
    3. Family on low income (e.g. entitled to free meals; in receipt of education maintenance allowance; in receipt of benefits; long-term parental unemployment)
    4. Adverse personal circumstances (e.g. subject to negative peer and/or community, such as bullying in school; living in care; other adverse home circumstances)
    I feel so sorry for that guy. I hope he gets in.

ReputationRep:
    Nuffield Scheme pays. :p: I'm trying desperately to line up things that are a) interesting/technical and b) paying, because I think I've got a better chance of getting into them that a standard student vacation job (because I actually then have marketable skills rather than nothing special to distinguish me from the ocean of other candidates).
    You need to find a supervisor first for that

I'm leaning towards a job because I want the job experience :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    I feel so sorry for that guy. I hope he gets in.
    you only need to meet 1 of the 4, i think he's only a first generation applicant. if you went to one of the edinburgh schools listed it sounds like you would have qualified too.

ReputationRep:
    1940 / 4000 characters. :sigh: Mindblank. Not quite the walk in the park I'd imagined.

ReputationRep:
    :console: Just avoid work. That's my tactic...
    Can't when it's due in tomorrow...:rolleyes: My own fault for doing no work for 4 days due to being back home and sailing in Dundee.

ReputationRep:
    You need to find a supervisor first for that
    Ah, it looks like I misunderstood that on my first skim. Oh well, I've contacted the odd researcher before now, have the odd 'contact', and have no qualms about doing so again. :o:

I'm leaning towards a job because I want the job experience :o:
    Whereas I plan on doing very little of any practical use ever.* I also had zero return on a fairly substantial jobseeking effort last summer, so I'm shying away from putting all my eggs in that basket again.

* this is actually much less true than it once was...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosie9391)
    Can't when it's due in tomorrow...:rolleyes: My own fault for doing no work for 4 days due to being back home and sailing in Dundee.
    Oh, unlucky. Hope you can get finished at a reasonable hour.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, unlucky. Hope you can get finished at a reasonable hour.
    Hopefully but I need a quick break since I've been at it for the past four hours. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Ah, it looks like I misunderstood that on my first skim. Oh well, I've contacted the odd researcher before now, have the odd 'contact', and have no qualms about doing so again. :o:

Whereas I plan on doing very little of any practical use ever.* I also had zero return on a fairly substantial jobseeking effort last summer, so I'm shying away from putting all my eggs in that basket again.

* this is actually much less true than it once was...
    I could tutor people for money over Christmas/Easter :p: That'd good experience if I want to become a supervisor/lecturer/evil interviewer one day.

And I'm sure Ape would pay a pretty penny for my services :awesome:

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.