Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    First year is over :woo:

As long as I don't have any resits :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    I do agree doing some of the stuff is very excessive but I do think Barts' way of doing it is probably ok (and I'm not just saying that because I go there). We don't do the hardcore clinical stuff that some places make their students do so early on. We practically only learn 15/16 exams well by the end of year 2. That's not too much in the grand scheme of things. It's only a bit of practice to get used to the terminology and stuff for firms and to make us feel like we're doing 'proper' medicine. :p: It's essentially equivalent to the 2/3 weeks of intense osce training some guys get at the start of third year when you consider the total time we've spent on it. And the best bit is that it's not rushed when taught and I feel semi confident I can remember the terminology and manoeuvres I've learnt for a while.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blatant Troll)
    Agreed. But up to a point. That list was exhaustive! - where's the time for, ya know, pre-clinical stuff?!

Or maybe I'm thinking too black & white - if the course is completely and utterly integrated then that's a moot point really.
    Not 100% integrated more like this ^attached

Clinical Skills teaching only takes up ~30% of the timetabled time and about an hour of prep per case unit.

The rest is based around pre-clinical stuff, with clinical "hooks".
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i'm no superman)
    On that note of King's, I hope we bump into each other at some point next year. I'm very excited. The only thing between me and King's is a pass in these upcoming exams and a pass in my last SSC. Fingers crossed.
    I'm sure you'll see me about, although I'll be in clinics so no idea where I'll be at just yet! Good luck, you'll ace it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    :ditto:

I've got to say I don't understand what the value is of learning to do a speculum/antenatal examination if you're not actually going to do it on proper patients until you do O&G in 4th/5th year, or of being able to take bloods/cannulate plastic arms if you're not going to be doing it on the wards for another two years. I do think every med student should be able to do BLS (which Cambridge don't teach to its preclinical students), though I've been able to do it since forever thanks to various voluntary work bits and bobs, but beyond that unless you're doing a genuinely totally integrated course like UEA seems to be, lots of it seems rather pointless.
    We have to pass BLS at the end of first year, then again at the start of clinicals. Anyone who is stupid enough to fail is brought back and not allowed to progress until they do. Never heard of it happening though.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with carcinoma that our clinical skills teaching fits quite well into the course. I think it works out as 2 hours a week overall, which isn't a huge amount of time, and a fair amount of what we do we are asked to do in GP placements, especially in year 2. Also, in 3rd year we pretty much go to a different department every 1-3 weeks, so we do a bit of everything, including stuff like O&G and psych, which I think some other medical schools leave till later. As our time in each department is so short, being able to do a vaginal exam or a mental state exam or whatever before we start is pretty essential, as there isn't really time to learn it from scratch on placement. We then go back to every department for a similarly short period of time in 4th year. PMS love spirals. It's not until 5th year that we get to be properly attached to a team and settle in to a department at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    We have to pass BLS at the end of first year, then again at the start of clinicals. Anyone who is stupid enough to fail is brought back and not allowed to progress until they do. Never heard of it happening though.
    We do BLS every year, and I know quite a few people who have failed it, including in year 3. I think that might be to do with our marking system though, I suspect a certain percentage always has to fail.

ReputationRep:
    Just got feedback for my EMQ/SBA paper this year. The breakdown showed that I was a fair bit above average for every module bar HSPH which I was relatively crap in. I guess I know for certain that the public health/epidemiology/sociology and psychology side of medicine is not my forté. I didn't even revise the damn module properly. :p:

Here's to less public health related stuff later in the course but something tells me it gets worse later. Oh dear. :s:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Why we will all become cynical!

(Original post by John Berger)
    One of the fundamental reasons why so many doctors become cynical and disillusioned is precisely because, when the abstract idealism has worn thin, they are uncertain about the value of the actual lives of the patients they are treating. This is not because they are callous or personally inhuman: it is because they live in and accept a society which is incapable of knowing what a human life is worth.

ReputationRep:
    I'm somehow a third year medic!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    Congrats

ReputationRep:
    Third year sounds all grown up... scary stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Nice one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    So scary I'm keeping my status as 2nd year 'til September

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys, such a weight off my shoulders and can finally enjoy these few months

I know right? Time is just flying by arghhh!! When are your results coming out/Have you finished your exams yet?

ReputationRep:
    Congrats dude!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone watching 24 hours in A&E??

Stupid lad whinging cos he's waiting in A&E for three hours for an inhaler, 'if I don't get it I'm going to die'

Nah pal, if you can still speak and you've been waiting this long then you're probably going to survive and maybe next time try going to your GP eh?

ARGH.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mushi_master)
    So scary I'm keeping my status as 2nd year 'til September
    Ha. I remember being in first year and thinking it was ages until third year. Yeah right...

I know right? Time is just flying by arghhh!! When are your results coming out/Have you finished your exams yet?
    Mine are out in early July (should be the 1st). Not all that comfortable: written stuff was decent enough, but the OSSE didn't go spectacularly.
    Nice one with your results.

ReputationRep:
    Ha. I remember being in first year and thinking it was ages until third year. Yeah right...

Mine are out in early July (should be the 1st). Not all that comfortable: written stuff was decent enough, but the OSSE didn't go spectacularly.
    Nice one with your results.
    I'm not quite sure what to call myself now as I'm intercalating next year so I just decided on "medical student" for now. Haha.

Is it sad that I get so excited when I get to change my sig? :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicine Man)
    I'm not quite sure what to call myself now as I'm intercalating next year so I just decided on "medical student" for now. Haha.

Is it sad that I get so excited when I get to change my sig? :ninja:
    "Intercalating medical student"?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.