Turn on thread page Beta

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teddysmith123)
    Yh I mean I agree at first in the Christmas episode when she was first introduced she was a bit annoying, but atleast as the season went along she became better and we saw a nice friendship develop between her and the doctor. I would be ok with clara if they did that with her too, but it seems moffatt is intent on having the show be all about clara and her adventures with the doctor rather than trying to expand on capaldis doctor

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I agree with you, but it's not Clara herself that is bad in this situation. The fact that Moffat won't expand on the Doctor and write the Doctor as he was expected to be, which is much darker than normal, doesn't mean that Clara is a bad character. I think that the issues with the show are upsetting the fans and their response is to immediately say Clara is a bad character.

Imo:
    Amy>Clara>Rose>Donna>Martha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomtjl)
    I agree with you, but it's not Clara herself that is bad in this situation. The fact that Moffat won't expand on the Doctor and write the Doctor as he was expected to be, which is much darker than normal, doesn't mean that Clara is a bad character. I think that the issues with the show are upsetting the fans and they're response is to immediately say Clara is a bad character.

Imo:
    Amy>Clara>Rose>Donna>Martha.
    Yes I agree it is bad writing all round and that last season was a hit disappointing with all the hype of a darker doctor! I use to always be in a hurry to watch doctor who episodes but know I just wait a few days and watch it on iplayer. Theres no real pull for me that makes me excited about the show anymore. I hope it gets better next season....

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The Dr's character development has been done in serious depth this season. He is clearly darker; the is a clinical utilitarianism in him, an unsympathetic nature, and an alienation human culture. I'm actually not sure where these criticisms are coming from.

ReputationRep:
    The Doctor is definitely darker.

I really like how similar he is to William Hartnell.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Yes I agree it is bad writing all round and that last season was a hit disappointing with all the hype of a darker doctor! I use to always be in a hurry to watch doctor who episodes but know I just wait a few days and watch it on iplayer. Theres no real pull for me that makes me excited about the show anymore. I hope it gets better next season....

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The past few seasons have been making me feel like this. I still watch in hope but nothing changing any time soon from the looks of things.

Female wise:

Donna >>>>>>>>>> Rose >>>>>> Martha >> Amy >>>>>>>>>>> Clara >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> RiverSong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingStannis)
    The Dr's character development has been done in serious depth this season. He is clearly darker; the is a clinical utilitarianism in him, an unsympathetic nature, and an alienation human culture. I'm actually not sure where these criticisms are coming from.
    The stories have been shocking KingStannis. Most don't have any sort of buzz associated to them whatsoever. The doctor might have gone through character development but it certainly isn't making it greater viewing for the most of us.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrJAKEE)
    The stories have been shocking KingStannis. Most don't have any sort of buzz associated to them whatsoever. The doctor might have gone through character development but it certainly isn't making it greater viewing for the most of us.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The focus on the monsters have been sidelined for more attention to character and style. I can see why some people don't like that. But to say the Doctor hasn't been developed? Laughable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    The past few seasons have been making me feel like this. I still watch in hope but nothing changing any time soon from the looks of things.

Female wise:

Donna >>>>>>>>>> Rose >>>>>> Martha >> Amy >>>>>>>>>>> Clara >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> RiverSong
    I actually really love river and I think if she was to be brought back she would complement capaldis doctor quite well I think better than Clara!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I rally liked the River Song storyline despite not liking it when the humans and the Doctor go out. The everytime they see each other the Doctor knows less about her due to their time lines is really sad and a great idea.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    I actually really love river and I think if she was to be brought back she would complement capaldis doctor quite well I think better than Clara!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    River has always been someone who's divided people's opinions. Personally for me I can't stand her, but I know there are others who love her.

I need clarification on the Doctor's chronology. Is Peter Capaldi the first incarnation in the new regeneration cycle, or did Matt Smith's Doctor use up the first regeneration of the new regeneration cycle to make Capaldi the second incarnation within it?

I basically need someone to explain the events of 'The Day of the Doctor' and 'The Time of the Doctor' more clearly, regarding the chronology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lustawny)
    I need clarification on the Doctor's chronology. Is Peter Capaldi the first incarnation in the new regeneration cycle, or did Matt Smith's Doctor use up the first regeneration of the new regeneration cycle to make Capaldi the second incarnation within it?

I basically need someone to explain the events of 'The Day of the Doctor' and 'The Time of the Doctor' more clearly, regarding the chronology.
    pretty sure that Smith would've had to have used the first regeneration for himself so now we have Capaldi, when he regenerates it will be the 2nd regeneration, the next doctor will use the 3rd, etc.

(Original post by Jean-Luc Picard)
    pretty sure that Smith would've had to have used the first regeneration for himself so now we have Capaldi, when he regenerates it will be the 2nd regeneration, the next doctor will use the 3rd, etc.
    Can you explain the chronology of the Doctor before he got his new regeneration cycle in more detail?

I'm still unsure as to whether the meta-crisis regeneration (the one where Tennant's Doctor starts regenerating, and then exudes the regeneration into his old hand) counts as a regeneration. Also, is the 'War Doctor' (John Hurt's Doctor) the ninth incarnation, thereby making Eccleston tenth, Tennant eleventh etc.?

I'm just a bit confused as to the order of each Doctor.

By the way, guys, I got this book as a Christmas present recently:

Spoiler:
    Show

Has anyone on this thread read it?

ReputationRep:
    Can you explain the chronology of the Doctor before he got his new regeneration cycle in more detail?

I'm still unsure as to whether the meta-crisis regeneration (the one where Tennant's Doctor starts regenerating, and then exudes the regeneration into his old hand) counts as a regeneration. Also, is the 'War Doctor' (John Hurt's Doctor) the ninth incarnation, thereby making Eccleston tenth, Tennant eleventh etc.?

I'm just a bit confused as to the order of each Doctor.
    The meta-crisis regeneration does count as a regeneration, as does the War Doctor. A Time Lord can regenerate 12 times, enabling 13 Doctor's to have existed. Since Matt Smith was the 11th Doctor, the other two were used by Tennant's Doctor and John Hurt's Doctor. The reason Matt is the 11th Doctor is because he never used the name "Doctor" while he was the 'War Doctor' (he gives up the name for that regeneration, stating the world doesn't need a Doctor at this point, but it still required a regeneration) and of course Tennant regenerated but kept the same body, meaning there were 10 total normal regenerations .

ReputationRep:
    River Song really grated me. The idea was good but when you have 'I actually knew all of this but I had to pretend to be ignorant all the time because this you told me about this in my past but your future...etc'.

Maybe once and it would be fair enough but it happened time and again.

The meta-crisis regeneration does count as a regeneration, as does the War Doctor. A Time Lord can regenerate 12 times, enabling 13 Doctor's to have existed. Since Matt Smith was the 11th Doctor, the other two were used by Tennant's Doctor and John Hurt's Doctor. The reason Matt is the 11th Doctor is because he never used the name "Doctor" while he was the 'War Doctor' (he gives up the name for that regeneration, stating the world doesn't need a Doctor at this point, but it still required a regeneration) and of course Tennant regenerated but kept the same body, meaning there were 10 total normal regenerations .
    Right, so you're saying that both Paul McGann's regeneration into John Hurt and John Hurt's regeneration into Christopher Eccleston didn't count as "normal" regenerations because John Hurt's Doctor was never actually classed as Doctor, right?

So I'm assuming those regenerations don't count towards the Doctor's regeneration tally then - so how many regenerations did Matt Smith's Doctor use, exactly?

ReputationRep:
    Right, so you're saying that both Paul McGann's regeneration into John Hurt and John Hurt's regeneration into Christopher Eccleston didn't count as "normal" regenerations because John Hurt's Doctor was never actually classed as Doctor, right?

So I'm assuming those regenerations don't count towards the Doctor's regeneration tally then - so how many regenerations did Matt Smith's Doctor use, exactly?
    Nono, only the regeneration into the War Doctor and Tennant's regeneration where he kept the same body don't count as "normal". They both used a regeneration, however John Hurt's Doctor didn't go by the name Doctor and therefore doesn't count as "xth Doctor" and Tennant kept the same body so he was the same Doctor. When Hurt regenerated into Eccleston he was a Doctor again and so he counts as the 9th Doctor.

Nono, only the regeneration into the War Doctor and Tennant's regeneration where he kept the same body don't count as "normal". They both used a regeneration, however John Hurt's Doctor didn't go by the name Doctor and therefore doesn't count as "xth Doctor" and Tennant kept the same body so he was the same Doctor. When Hurt regenerated into Eccleston he was a Doctor again and so he counts as the 9th Doctor.
    Okay, I think I understand it now. So by the time Matt Smith was Doctor, he'd already used all 12 of his regenerations, hadn't he?

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I think I understand it now. So by the time Matt Smith was Doctor, he'd already used all 12 of his regenerations, hadn't he?
    Yep!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2018
Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.