Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Arsenal Thread XV watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Fellaini and higuain could put you right in the mix for the title. I don't see why anybody would complain about those two signings in a transfer window.

(Original post by glousck)
    The amount of moaning and complaining here about signing a player is hilarious
    See above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Fellaini and higuain could put you right in the mix for the title. I don't see why anybody would complain about those two signings in a transfer window.

See above.
    Oh, I know. I'd be ecstatic if we signed both. Would make next season arguably the most open in recent history as to who would win the title, there hasn't been 4 teams in one season going properly for it for a long time now.

ReputationRep:
    I just want a season where it doesn't go down to the ****ing wire with Spurs for a CL place. It's too ****ing stressful for what it's worth.

ReputationRep:
    FIRST TEAM 2013/2014

Wojciech SZCZESNY

3. Bakary SAGNA - 4. Per MERTERSACKER - 6. Laurent KOSCIELNY- 28. Kieran GIBBS

Maroune FELLAINI - 10. Jack WILSHERE (C)

Santi CAZORLA

Theo WALCOTT - 20. Gonzalo HIGUIAN - 9. Lukas PODOLSKI

Substitutes

?. Vacant Goalkeeper Spot.
    5. Thomas VERMAELEN
    17. Nacho MONREAL
    8. Mikael ARTETA
    16. Aaron RAMSEY
    15. Alex Oxlade-CHAMBERLAIN
    12. Olivier GIROUD

Fringe

36. Damian MARTINEZ
    25. Carl JENKINSON
    7. Thomas ROSICKY
    2. Abou DIABY
    27. Yao GERVINHO
    31. Ryo MIYAICHI
    47. Serge GNABRY
    ?. Yaya SANOGO

TRANSFERS IN.

20. Gonzalo HIGUIAN - £22,000,000
    11. Maroune FELLAINI - £23,000,000.
    ?. Yaya SANOGO - £500,000.

Approx. Wages incurred - £260,000 P/W
    Approx. Transfer expenditure - £45,500,000.

TRANSFERS OUT (LIKELY or CONFIRMED).

11. Andre SANTOS
    52. Niklas BENDTNER
    20. Johan DJOUROU
    26. Emmanuel FRIMPONG
    22. Francis COQUELIN
    23. Andrey ARSHAVIN
    30. Ju-Yung PARK
    29. Maourane CHAMAKH
    ?. Perreira Neves DENILSON
    ?. Ignasi MIQUEL
    ?.
    Benik AFOBE
    ?. Chuks ANEKE
    ?. WELLINGTON

Approx. Wages loss - £455,000 P/W
    Approx. Transfer revenue - £12,250,000.

LOANS OUT (POSSIBLES).

47. Serge GNABRY
    31. Ryo MIYAICHI
    46. Thomas EISFELD
    ?. Joel CAMPBELL
    ?. Niko YENNARIS

TEAM ATTRIBUTES.

1. Counter attacking possibilities through Walcott and possibly used as an auxiliary striker during matches with runs in from the wing.

2. Strong back four who now have a proven leader in Mertersacker, he's earned trust and the line plays off him fluidly now.

3. One of the best around in rectifying a poor offside trap and recovering to close down a striker in the open, in Laurent Koscielny. (He'll be needing to do that at least 10-15 times next season and will prevent at least 4 or 5 golden goal scoring opportunities)

4. A midfield that can keep the ball for long periods of the game whilst two of the three central figures are extremely tenacious, hungry and Fellani's height means extra cover from goalkicks where Per wouldn't have to commit himself and of course set pieces.

5. Experience both internationally or domestically that we've lacked for many of years, this should help us get through an extra 10-15% of the season.

6. Extremely clinically front pair of Higuain and Podolski who should look to get a combined 25-30 goals next season and that's not including their play when dropping deep and helping the midfielders get up the pitch.

7. Santi Cazorla with a more free role in the team, arguably one of the most creative midfielders in Europe is already battle hardened without rarely dropping his performance levels and can be a constant thorn working across the midfield from left to right.

8. The option to go long or direct in a game with Olivier Giroud who has gradually come to terms with the physical aspect of the Premier League. He has taken this improvement on the European stage where he looks hard to control at times, his finishing lets him down but his non-stop hunting of the opposition back line does stop traffic reaching the midfield easier.

9. A high degree of balance within the team both in a positional sense and an age perspective. This can be platform for progression that we need, which makes changes from game to game strengthen us rather than weaken us by reducing the variance in relation to communication between personal and system adaption from game to game.

10. It's no secret that Arsene Wenger has not only believed in a flat 5 for away games in Europe but has relished the chance to build a squad that can play this formation in an era where ball possession is king the only proven method of overcoming this dominance is through winning a midfield battle. The key ingredient in this is Aaron Ramsey who could play an influential part down the right hand side next season tracking the runs of full-backs, in this case the left back, and a potential flat 5 of Ramsey, Fellaini, Arteta, Wilshere, Cazorla could be the difference in going out in the last 16 and making the last 4.

ReputationRep:
    It'll be interesting to see if Podolski/Walcott will get double figures next season if Giroud isn't spearheading. Giroud was the least direct of the three, if someone like Higuain comes in then surely one of Pod/Walcott will need to be dropped or be utilised in a less direct manner.

ReputationRep:
    At this rate even spots on the bench are gonna be competitive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhw)
    It'll be interesting to see if Podolski/Walcott will get double figures next season if Giroud isn't spearheading. Giroud was the least direct of the three, if someone like Higuain comes in then surely one of Pod/Walcott will need to be dropped or be utilised in a less direct manner.
    Podolski is not really direct tbh he can just do both duties

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EgyptianPanda)
    FIRST TEAM 2013/2014

Wojciech SZCZESNY

Santi CAZORLA

Substitutes

5. Thomas VERMAELEN
    17. Nacho MONREAL
    8. Mikael ARTETA
    16. Aaron RAMSEY
    12. Olivier GIROUD

Fringe

36. Damian MARTINEZ
    25. Carl JENKINSON
    7. Thomas ROSICKY
    2. Abou DIABY
    27. Yao GERVINHO
    31. Ryo MIYAICHI
    47. Serge GNABRY
    ?. Yaya SANOGO

TRANSFERS IN.

11. Andre SANTOS
    52. Niklas BENDTNER
    20. Johan DJOUROU
    26. Emmanuel FRIMPONG
    22. Francis COQUELIN
    23. Andrey ARSHAVIN
    30. Ju-Yung PARK
    29. Maourane CHAMAKH
    ?. Ignasi MIQUEL
    ?.
    Benik AFOBE
    ?. Chuks ANEKE
    ?. WELLINGTON

LOANS OUT (POSSIBLES).

47. Serge GNABRY
    31. Ryo MIYAICHI
    46. Thomas EISFELD
    ?. Joel CAMPBELL
    ?. Niko YENNARIS

TEAM ATTRIBUTES.

1. Counter attacking possibilities through Walcott and possibly used as an auxiliary striker during matches with runs in from the wing.

2. Strong back four who now have a proven leader in Mertersacker, he's earned trust and the line plays off him fluidly now.

3. One of the best around in rectifying a poor offside trap and recovering to close down a striker in the open, in Laurent Koscielny. (He'll be needing to do that at least 10-15 times next season and will prevent at least 4 or 5 golden goal scoring opportunities)

4. A midfield that can keep the ball for long periods of the game whilst two of the three central figures are extremely tenacious, hungry and Fellani's height means extra cover from goalkicks where Per wouldn't have to commit himself and of course set pieces.

5. Experience both internationally or domestically that we've lacked for many of years, this should help us get through an extra 10-15% of the season.

6. Extremely clinically front pair of Higuain and Podolski who should look to get a combined 25-30 goals next season and that's not including their play when dropping deep and helping the midfielders get up the pitch.

7. Santi Cazorla with a more free role in the team, arguably one of the most creative midfielders in Europe is already battle hardened without rarely dropping his performance levels and can be a constant thorn working across the midfield from left to right.

8. The option to go long or direct in a game with Olivier Giroud who has gradually come to terms with the physical aspect of the Premier League. He has taken this improvement on the European stage where he looks hard to control at times, his finishing lets him down but his non-stop hunting of the opposition back line does stop traffic reaching the midfield easier.

9. A high degree of balance within the team both in a positional sense and an age perspective. This can be platform for progression that we need, which makes changes from game to game strengthen us rather than weaken us by reducing the variance in relation to communication between personal and system adaption from game to game.

10. It's no secret that Arsene Wenger has not only believed in a flat 5 for away games in Europe but has relished the chance to build a squad that can play this formation in an era where ball possession is king the only proven method of overcoming this dominance is through winning a midfield battle. The key ingredient in this is Aaron Ramsey who could play an influential part down the right hand side next season tracking the runs of full-backs, in this case the left back, and a potential flat 5 of Ramsey, Fellaini, Arteta, Wilshere, Cazorla could be the difference in going out in the last 16 and making the last 4.
    I love the thought that went into that! Feeling mighty good about next season now. Just get this transfer window out of the way cause I'm getting impatient looking at that line up

ReputationRep:
    Has no one thought that if you don't Higuain/ Rooney/ Jovetic or another striker, play Walcott as a lone striker. He's normally pretty bad on the wings but imho one of the best three players in the league up until Christmas (behind Van Persie and Mata), and then kind of fell away after he signed the new contract. I'm sure he could replicate that for the next few seasons whilst he's still quick as he's agile and seems to play on the shoulder a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Musester)
    Has no one thought that if you don't Higuain/ Rooney/ Jovetic or another striker, play Walcott as a lone striker. He's normally pretty bad on the wings but imho one of the best three players in the league up until Christmas (behind Van Persie and Mata), and then kind of fell away after he signed the new contract. I'm sure he could replicate that for the next few seasons whilst he's still quick as he's agile and seems to play on the shoulder a lot.
    Nah I'd prefer we buy someone. Walcott is too hit and miss over the season

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Musester)
    He lacks of a back to goal game and will struggle to effect the game as a striker if teams sit back and take away the space in behind so I don't really think its a good solution

ReputationRep:
    EgyptianPanda I'd love to hire you as my assistant manager on FM. Dat team analysis :coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EgyptianPanda)
    FIRST TEAM 2013/2014

Wojciech SZCZESNY

Santi CAZORLA

Substitutes

5. Thomas VERMAELEN
    17. Nacho MONREAL
    8. Mikael ARTETA
    16. Aaron RAMSEY
    12. Olivier GIROUD

Fringe

36. Damian MARTINEZ
    25. Carl JENKINSON
    7. Thomas ROSICKY
    2. Abou DIABY
    27. Yao GERVINHO
    31. Ryo MIYAICHI
    47. Serge GNABRY
    ?. Yaya SANOGO

TRANSFERS IN.

11. Andre SANTOS
    52. Niklas BENDTNER
    20. Johan DJOUROU
    26. Emmanuel FRIMPONG
    22. Francis COQUELIN
    23. Andrey ARSHAVIN
    30. Ju-Yung PARK
    29. Maourane CHAMAKH
    ?. Ignasi MIQUEL
    ?.
    Benik AFOBE
    ?. Chuks ANEKE
    ?. WELLINGTON

LOANS OUT (POSSIBLES).

47. Serge GNABRY
    31. Ryo MIYAICHI
    46. Thomas EISFELD
    ?. Joel CAMPBELL
    ?. Niko YENNARIS

TEAM ATTRIBUTES.

If your correct I would be so happy. I do.think Higuain and fellaini would be great buys. It would make the whole squad I think feel more confident and true beleive that we are not just the team that always comes 4th/3rd and get the last CL place. The squad depth would be amazing. I mean Rosicky as a fringe play and a bench like you've mention is way more competitive than last few years. We would rely on less individuals to perform and carry us through the season, like rvp last season. I think we could definitely go further in CL and after fa/capital one cup last season further in them, and in the league hopefully be competitive and blow any dreams spurs have of CL out the water.

What do people will happen at end of next year with Arsene, I mean I keep reading all the PSG stuff?
    I can see people wanting a news manager but if he's starting to buy big this year and it finally clicks wouldn't we be really vulnerable with a new guy in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    Nah I'd prefer we buy someone. Walcott is too hit and miss over the season
    Why do people still say this?!

He was our top scorer in the league and overall despite being confined to the bench at the start of the season for pissing off Wenger, having only his first experience as a striker in his whole career and even then for much of the season he was still on the wings. To score 14 league goals isn't exactly bad then - dzeko got the same amount of goals and Aguero got less. He wasn't even our target man the majority of the time so that's a very respectable tally. I still think he's better on the wings at the moment but I wouldn't be surprised at all if he proved me wrong. He's improved on his one-on-one with keeper situations, set-pieces (he was pretty bad at the start of the season but his corners and free kicks have actually led to quite a few goals - more than from anyone else taking set pieces we have) and crossing this season among other things so it's difficult to see whether he's best on the wing or up front.

I think a problem with Theo, however, is that because he's clearly so determined to prove to the world that he IS a striker, he can get a little selfish on the wing and move to more of an inside forward position. It's not something he does well as it turns into a combination of plaing both RW and striker without doing either very well, and also means Sagna struggles more when Walcott goes as far up as Giroud because there's no-one there tracking back. We've seen this in games where Theo has been taken off for Ramsey and Sagna hasn't bee turned inside out several times because Ramsey has the stamina of a beast and a dedication to track back to match. But unless we want Gervinho to be a regular first teamer we have no-one else adequate to play on the right wing other than Theo so that's why it's a problem playing him up front.

I think what we will see from Theo next season will be improvements on that inside forward role - just behind Higuain/Giroud - which will hopefully bring all his best qualities tgether. If he manages to do this well the role will complement his pace and his goalscoring abilities. If he does still want to be a striker then again, I have no doubts he'll improve as he'll be in line behind Higuain and possibly even Giroud. We saw from the first half of last season that being made to fight for his spot makes him play even better - when the Ox was first choice over him at the start of the season.

He's not always going to be immense in every single game. But if last season has taught us anthing, it's that he is not a hit and miss player any more. There were pleny of other players who were far more hit and miss, and to use that term to describe him is to complete ignore the improvement he made to become our top scorer.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently SSN are saying Arsenal representatives are in Spain this week to wrap up the deal for Higuain. £22m and £100,000 a week. I thought he'd be on £130k a week so that's decent.

Sky Sports News also saying "Arsenal are also privately confident Fellaini will sign"

:sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (sorry for 3rd post in a row - this is worth it, trust me)

I was going to link this article to TSR as I saw Monreal had spoken to Marca about ending our trophy drought, Isco and Higuain, so I thought it was interesting. I then read it through and laughed a lot due to the fact it's been google translated quite badly.

When asked about Higuain joining Arsenal, for example

I’d love to. He’s a piece of football.
    Anyway, here is the article. If anyone here speaks fluent Spanish a better translation from Marca's original interview would be appreciated

http://gossip.ladyarse.com/arsenal/2...rophy-drought/

ReputationRep:

2:25, 3:35 :sogood:

ReputationRep:
    Isco has signed for RM :phew: if true

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Isco has signed for RM :phew: if true
    Why? I thought Gunners wanted him to go to City hence Bale to Madrid :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Fell sorry for Malaga fans tbh. Reckless owners mean the clubs in an abominal financial state, they've lost Monreal and Cazorla among others, about to lose Isco, lost Pellegrini, not in CL next season, lost to Dortmund in the dying seconds of their CL match to go to the next stages etc. It's frustrating being an Arsenal fan at times but it could be a lot worse.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.