Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    We have to cover when we are freed from other lessons (for example, because pupils are on a trip or in an exam). I assumed this was normal as it's time I would otherwise be teaching my own class.

Today I covered Year 8 bottom set science, which was better than I expected it to be...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Slightly horrified you are still covering lessons over five years after the Rarely Cover regulations were introduced!
    Private school. It's a very hot potato at the moment. One of my friends has just done her third consecutive cover in three days. We are all on our knees. We're not even paid more than state schools anymore.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myrtille)
    We have to cover when we are freed from other lessons (for example, because pupils are on a trip or in an exam). I assumed this was normal as it's time I would otherwise be teaching my own class.

Today I covered Year 8 bottom set science, which was better than I expected it to be...
    No it's not normal (unless you are not in the state sector) and means your school is in breach of statutory guidance. Where are your unions?!

53.7 of this document.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    No it's not normal (unless you are not in the state sector) and means your school is in breach of statutory guidance. Where are your unions?!

53.7 of this document.
    Wish our staff wasn't so supine and comatose.

ReputationRep:
    final assessment review tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    So apparently for my job interview on friday i have to teach an hour long lesson on Binary conversion to denary to y7s ....joy

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha, love it.
    (Original post by alabelle)
    So, so true! We have to contact three different institutions if we're ill (though tomorrow I think it's two), we have to fill out and hand in a form, then attend a back-to-uni meeting. Even if it's just 48 hours. I understand why they do it this way, it's just an intimidating process!
    Wow, that is mental. I've had a lot of absence this placement, totalling seven days sadly. And I'm due an operation which will be 5-10 days off my next placement so I'm definitely going to have to add it on.

I've not found it hard to be off sick...yet. For some of the days I wasn't teaching yet so it was just a case of phoning my mentor. For the rest of the days my mentor was also off so I just texted her so I didn't disturb her, and they seemed to forget I was even due to teach her classes at school. Dunno, it's not been very clear who I am actually supposed to contact :ninja: .

My mentor has been off for a couple of weeks now, and other teachers are setting her cover work for her. Is that normal? Does it get to a certain point where you aren't expected to set cover work anymore?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    My mentor has been off for a couple of weeks now, and other teachers are setting her cover work for her. Is that normal? Does it get to a certain point where you aren't expected to set cover work anymore?
    If she has a medical note (and she will have for this length of absence) she will not be permitted to set cover. If a Doctor decides you are not fit to work you have to desist from all work-related activities.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I have no choice but to be off school today. On my journey this morning, someone crashed into the back of my car I drove to work, dropped off my marking and planning, then drove home. Now I'm sitting on the sofa with a painful back, a stiff neck, a tense stomach and I'm about to start a ridiculous amount of uni work.
    Sigh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    If she has a medical note (and she will have for this length of absence) she will not be permitted to set cover. If a Doctor decides you are not fit to work you have to desist from all work-related activities.
    Ah yes, that explains a lot then, thanks.

(Original post by jeffercake)
    Well, I have no choice but to be off school today. On my journey this morning, someone crashed into the back of my car I drove to work, dropped off my marking and planning, then drove home. Now I'm sitting on the sofa with a painful back, a stiff neck, a tense stomach and I'm about to start a ridiculous amount of uni work.
    Sigh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't worry about it! I know it's easier said than done - but having a day off (or more) is not the end of the world. If it's necessary, like is in your case, then there's nothing you can do about it so no point worrying.

Really sorry to hear about it though. It can really shake you up when someone hits your car. I hope your joints feel better soon. :hugs:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Just had my final assessment report completed and I've come out with good with 3 RI, 4 good and 1 very good I'll definitely settle for that!

Marked down on TS8 because my anxiety still sucks with adults

Sigh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh you poor thing! Get some rest now please.

ReputationRep:
    I am doing my PGCE and want a good english textbook. Our uni have recommended some but I haven't been impressed. Just wondered if anyone has found a good one that they recommend?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    Just had my final assessment report completed and I've come out with good with 3 RI, 4 good and 1 very good I'll definitely settle for that!

Marked down on TS8 because my anxiety still sucks with adults

Oh you poor thing! Get some rest now please.
    Congrats! What exactly do they want to see for TS8? I'm struggling with it. I don't know how to evidence it. I have a couple of certificates from CPDs I've been to - I was thinking they show participation. In terms of making relationships with the staff...hmm. I'm similar to you. I have social anxiety and it's realllly obvious. I like to do my classes, do my prep and avoid everything else

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Congrats! What exactly do they want to see for TS8? I'm struggling with it. I don't know how to evidence it. I have a couple of certificates from CPDs I've been to - I was thinking they show participation. In terms of making relationships with the staff...hmm. I'm similar to you. I have social anxiety and it's realllly obvious. I like to do my classes, do my prep and avoid everything else

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It could be evidence of directing TAs in lesson, too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lawstudent21)
    I am doing my PGCE and want a good english textbook. Our uni have recommended some but I haven't been impressed. Just wondered if anyone has found a good one that they recommend?
    What age range, and what kind of textbook- about subject knowledge or teaching methods or development?

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ts8 evidence could be attending staff meetings, writing parts of communications with parents, writing something for support staff, writing down when you went to ask for advice from your mentor or someone else.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It could be evidence of directing TAs in lesson, too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've never had a TA in a lesson I've taught so I've had to own up and not highlight that section of the standard.

(Original post by kpwxx)
    What age range, and what kind of textbook- about subject knowledge or teaching methods or development?

Xxx

Ts8 evidence could be attending staff meetings, writing parts of communications with parents, writing something for support staff, writing down when you went to ask for advice from your mentor or someone else.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks. I don't understand how some of those are evidence? Surely writing down that you asked for advice off someone could easily be done even if you didn't. I've lost count of how many people I've asked for advice but I've never written anything down :/ . I go to after school development meetings every Monday and Thurs too but have no proof ...

ReputationRep:
    I've never had a TA in a lesson I've taught so I've had to own up and not highlight that section of the standard.

Thanks. I don't understand how some of those are evidence? Surely writing down that you asked for advice off someone could easily be done even if you didn't. I've lost count of how many people I've asked for advice but I've never written anything down :/ . I go to after school development meetings every Monday and Thurs too but have no proof ...
    You could evidence advice taken in lesson plans. You could ask you headteacher to write down that you have done something and then sign it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They wanted me more integrated into the department - I spend too much time in the staff room planning lessons alone and my anxiety stops me from asking questions. I attended all CPD opportunities, work as a form tutor, taught PHSCE, I'll be helping in parents evening next week and I've helped at two music events at the school.

Really wish I'd argued my case now but I disclosed my anxiety disorder in such an awkward way during the meeting that I just wanted to get out of the room. My uni knows and I have support through the mental health department there.

I think that I should disclose before my next placement starts so that I can be nudged if I go off target/don't meet expectations.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am doing a primary PGCE, so anything in that age range. I was looking at one of each but mainly subject knowledge.

ReputationRep:

In addition to what jeffercake said, you've also got to remember that not much is infallible evidence anyway. There's a certain amount of trust involved that you will be professional when you say you've done certain things (plus it would be quite a serious thing to make anything up, in order to gain a qualification, especially QTS).

I'd say you could also do action plans for yourself based on the advice you've been given. Just a simple table. And that would be evidence.

Also remember that the point of checking evidence at this stage is to see the many glaring gaps!!! So you can purposely gain more by the end.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.