Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glousck)
    Fell sorry for Malaga fans tbh. Reckless owners mean the clubs in an abominal financial state, they've lost Monreal and Cazorla among others, about to lose Isco, lost Pellegrini, not in CL next season, lost to Dortmund in the dying seconds of their CL match to go to the next stages etc. It's frustrating being an Arsenal fan at times but it could be a lot worse.
    **** them. They made a deal with the devil and now they're paying the price for trying to leapfrog clubs like A.Madrid, Valencia who do things the right way. Hope Malaga get relegated next season with PSG/Monaco/City/Chelsea eventually too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    Why? I thought Gunners wanted him to go to City hence Bale to Madrid :confused:
    I'm more concerned about the damages Isco can do than damages Bale can do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    **** them. They made a deal with the devil and now they're paying the price for trying to leapfrog clubs like A.Madrid, Valencia who do things the right way. Hope Malaga get relegated next season with PSG/Monaco/City/Chelsea eventually too.
    Basically this. None of them complained when the sugar daddies was buying them luxuries that they couldn't afford. Have zero sympathy for them.

ReputationRep:
    Malaga's owners ****ed them up, Malaga's fans didn't. That's why I feel sorry for them - the owners are dicks and the fans are paying for it. Hopefully FFP comes in as soon as 2014, I'm sure there are plenty of thirsty billionaires out there just waiting to come into a club and mess it up. It's a stupid business model and an unsustainable one. The three best business models currently in the PL are United, Arsenal and Spurs - I would love it if this was the top 3 every year, it'd mean we get to have our competitiveness with United back and have the rivalry with Spurs.

Monaco are just an extreme laughable version of Chelsea/City etc, they have an average attendance of 10,000 per game and they only just came up from Ligue 2. The sooner this ridiculous business model is kicked out of football the better.

Malaga's owners ****ed them up, Malaga's fans didn't. That's why I feel sorry for them - the owners are dicks and the fans are paying for it. Hopefully FFP comes in as soon as 2014, I'm sure there are plenty of thirsty billionaires out there just waiting to come into a club and mess it up. It's a stupid business model and an unsustainable one. The three best business models currently in the PL are United, Arsenal and Spurs - I would love it if this was the top 3 every year, it'd mean we get to have our competitiveness with United back and have the rivalry with Spurs.

Monaco are just an extreme laughable version of Chelsea/City etc, they have an average attendance of 10,000 per game and they only just came up from Ligue 2. The sooner this ridiculous business model is kicked out of football the better.
    PRSOM. :yep:

ReputationRep:

The owner couldnt care less what happens to Malaga, but the only way for football to get the message that this kind of model is unacceptable is for clubs who go down that road to get hammered. The average Malaga fan didnt ask for this anymore than Arsenal fans are, but there has to be repercussions to make other clubs think twice. Malaga were a borderline 2nd division team anyway.

At least we got Cazorla+Monreal for less than 20m though!

ReputationRep:
    clubs like A.Madrid, Valencia who do things the right way.
    I don't know about Valencia's situation, but Athletico didn't end up with their debt levels by doing things the right way, its just a different form of wrong. Owners splashing money hoping to propel a side into the top tier and increase the value of the asset, is no worse than clubs spending stupid amounts to gamble on success and recouping their spending.

(Original post by 419)
    I'm more concerned about the damages Isco can do than damages Bale can do.
    City are going to spend regardless, if they don't bring in one player they will spend and bring in another. City's season is going to be decided by the aggregate performance of the team far more so than Spurs. Tottenham losing Bale would pretty much mean a clear top 4 this season, pretty much guarantee the end of Spurs push for top 4 status in the near future. In terms of Arsenal, Spurs losing Bale will have more of an effect on your season than City getting Isco.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about Valencia's situation, but Athletico didn't end up with their debt levels by doing things the right way, its just a different form of wrong. Owners splashing money hoping to propel a side into the top tier and increase the value of the asset, is no worse than clubs spending stupid amounts to gamble on success and recouping their spending.
    No its very different. Leeds ended up in League 1 and Rangers in the 4th division by trying to gamble, so they paid the consequences. With a sugardaddy, the club will at worst end up where it started.

ReputationRep:

City are going to spend regardless, if they don't bring in one player they will spend and bring in another. City's season is going to be decided by the aggregate performance of the team far more so than Spurs. Tottenham losing Bale would pretty much mean a clear top 4 this season, pretty much guarantee the end of Spurs push for top 4 status in the near future. In terms of Arsenal, Spurs losing Bale will have more of an effect on your season than City getting Isco.
    I'm unconcerned about Spurs tbh. They've reached their apex last season imo and for us to be worried about them will mean that we have to stay still or regress whilst the noise and general consensus is that we will improve.

I'm more concerned about the gap between Citeh, United and Chelsea, and us further increasing than anything else. Though, bet Bale will end up at United.

ReputationRep:
    No its very different. Leeds ended up in League 1 and Rangers in the 4th division by trying to gamble, so they paid the consequences. With a sugardaddy, the club will at worst end up where it started.
    It depends, if the club gambles but responsibly they can end up in a better position if they don't they end up like Rangers. If a sugardaddy comes into the club and doesn't balance the club out, they are set for a fall when they pull the funding. My point wasn't based around consequences anyway, its around the right and wrong ways to run a club. The methods used by the likes Athletico are not a model of the right way a club should be run, anymore than Chelsea.

(Original post by 419)
    I'm unconcerned about Spurs tbh. They've reached their apex last season imo and for us to be worried about them will mean that we have to stay still or regress whilst the noise and general consensus is that we will improve.
    Agreed, I think they made key mistakes while they had their chance. However I still think such teams are capable of having odd season where they could do damage. Spurs chance of making top 4 a regular occurrence is gone IMO, but they could still grab it this season or next which while not having much bearing in the long term could hurt whoever misses 4th in the short. That top 4 security has got to be worthwhile.

I'm more concerned about the gap between Citeh, United and Chelsea, and us further increasing than anything else. Though, bet Bale will end up at United.
    In that case I would be more concerned about Arsenal as a team than City. As I said, City are going to move forward to the point of winning regardless of any single player. If they finish 3rd this year, they will spend more next. To get to title challenging positions, you need to be getting 90 odd points, City/Chelsea will spend to achieve that. 73/114 points Arsenal getting into touching distance is going to be more about the results against the other teams than City or Chelsea getting one player this season. I hope Bale doesn't end up at United, I think there are better way for United to spend £60m than on Bale.

ReputationRep:
    Why do people still say this?!

He was our top scorer in the league and overall despite being confined to the bench at the start of the season for pissing off Wenger, having only his first experience as a striker in his whole career and even then for much of the season he was still on the wings. To score 14 league goals isn't exactly bad then - dzeko got the same amount of goals and Aguero got less. He wasn't even our target man the majority of the time so that's a very respectable tally. I still think he's better on the wings at the moment but I wouldn't be surprised at all if he proved me wrong. He's improved on his one-on-one with keeper situations, set-pieces (he was pretty bad at the start of the season but his corners and free kicks have actually led to quite a few goals - more than from anyone else taking set pieces we have) and crossing this season among other things so it's difficult to see whether he's best on the wing or up front.

I think a problem with Theo, however, is that because he's clearly so determined to prove to the world that he IS a striker, he can get a little selfish on the wing and move to more of an inside forward position. It's not something he does well as it turns into a combination of plaing both RW and striker without doing either very well, and also means Sagna struggles more when Walcott goes as far up as Giroud because there's no-one there tracking back. We've seen this in games where Theo has been taken off for Ramsey and Sagna hasn't bee turned inside out several times because Ramsey has the stamina of a beast and a dedication to track back to match. But unless we want Gervinho to be a regular first teamer we have no-one else adequate to play on the right wing other than Theo so that's why it's a problem playing him up front.

I think what we will see from Theo next season will be improvements on that inside forward role - just behind Higuain/Giroud - which will hopefully bring all his best qualities tgether. If he manages to do this well the role will complement his pace and his goalscoring abilities. If he does still want to be a striker then again, I have no doubts he'll improve as he'll be in line behind Higuain and possibly even Giroud. We saw from the first half of last season that being made to fight for his spot makes him play even better - when the Ox was first choice over him at the start of the season.

He's not always going to be immense in every single game. But if last season has taught us anthing, it's that he is not a hit and miss player any more. There were pleny of other players who were far more hit and miss, and to use that term to describe him is to complete ignore the improvement he made to become our top scorer.
    I don't think he's consistent enough and hasn't the all-round game to be a striker who can get us ~25 league goals and that's what is needed these days to win.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by 419)
    For the price we'll have to pay, I don't want him. I don't think he will leave Spurs this summer in all honesty and if he does, it'll be on deadline day leaving no time for them to get a proper replacement in. Besides, I'm not sure Levy would want to deal with us again after Carrick & Berbatov.

ReputationRep:

Seems real. Can anyone confirm this?

ReputationRep:
    Wenger's celebration in your sig, when was that from? Both he and Pat Rice look young. I'm assuming it was from the days we were battling for the title.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrdoovde1)

Seems real. Can anyone confirm this?
    Looks pretty legit but that's our old kit mate must be a photoshop. I could be wrong

ReputationRep:
    Guillem Balague:
    ''Juve and Arsenal have agreed personal terms with Higuain and will fight it off with Madrid. Biggest offer will take him.''

Surely we will be able to blow Juventus out of the water if we want to. Only real danger is surely the price rising 1/2m which is normally enough for Wenger to think twice...

ReputationRep:
    Guillem Balague:
    ''Juve and Arsenal have agreed personal terms with Higuain and will fight it off with Madrid. Biggest offer will take him.''

Surely we will be able to blow Juventus out of the water if we want to. Only real danger is surely the price rising 1/2m which is normally enough for Wenger to think twice...
    Oh please Guillem Balague is so useless, that's just regurgitated information Higuain father said. He made no reference to Higuain father in that tweet which shows he's trying to pass the info off as his own. People listen to him because he works for Sky

"Nothing has been signed yet but I can assure you there are advanced talks between the clubs," said Higuain senior.

"We wouldn't arrange any personal contract before the clubs agree for the transfer. I'm aware Arsenal has made a strong offer, as well as Juventus."

ReputationRep:
    Atletico pretty much do exactly what chelsea did under the late ken bates era or leeds united in that same time frame. Atletico don't do things the right way if we're talking about football ethics. Valencia are the same as arsenal(think I was comparing emery to wenger last season as they were doing the exact same job in a different country), pretty much at the stage arsenal were in 2006(with a lesser known team and lower revenue of course) but when they get a new stadium hopefully they could challenge barca and real effectively(I don't see anyone else doing so anytime soon unless Atletico get lucky next season)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joebloggs105)
    fact is, at least I support my local club. 90% of you arent even from london. theres a lad named zurich bumming this discussion 24/7 for gods sake
    I'm from Archway and have missed about 5 home games since I was 11. If you're going to have a go about not supporting your local club, then you picked the wrong fella to single out...

ReputationRep:
    Who needs Higuain when Chamakh has returned from loan...

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.