This discussion is closed.
Mastermind`
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Mess.)
Yep. Chile playing a back three with a midfielder as a sweeper :coma:

I think Del Bosque takes the Barcelona comparisons a bit too literally. He doesn't have to play midfielders in defence just because Barcelona do :facepalm2: And if you are going to do it at least try and use a defensive midfielder.
This new Chile manager is basically Bielsa, seems like they just went out and found someone with a similar attacking philosophy. I love watching their pressing and the three at the back. Their defending, especially from set pieces, leaves a lot to be desired but wonderful team to watch when they click. If they had an all-round striker they'd be much better.
Catilina
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by WhatamIdoing)
Forget Spain, Holland just raped San Marino 11-0. I know it's just San Marino, but still.
A population of roughly 30 thousand inhabitants means that most local teams in your area probably have more options when building a squad. Nevermind the fact that it´s a national team. The only thing which influences the result of a game like this is the motivation of the big team.

Btw, Germany are the first team to qualify for 2012, after defeating Austria 6-2.
voodoomagic
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Phonicsdude)
I think you're right.

Inter: Are in a massive process of rejuvenation. Alvarez, Coutinho, Castaignos, Crisetig, Poli, Faraoni and Rannocchia are all 23 years or younger. All could be part of an exciting side and all have shown tangible promise. Most exciting of all there are experienced, level-headed, loyal players at the club to guide them going forward: Zanetti, Stankovic, Cambiasso, Cordoba, Forlan, Milito. All genuinely good guys and born winners. The future and the present are both looking good.

Milan: Whilst their rejuvenation hasn't quite happened they are not the old men being painted in the English media. Taiwo and Nocerino have both been brought in and are 26. So is Thiago Silva. Boateng is 24. Highly rated El Shaarawy has been brought in from Genoia is 18. Paloschi and Pato are 21. Some of their signings have been particularly astute (Mexes and Taiwo were both free). What really stands out are the amount of players playing at their prime. Amelia, Mexes, Cassano and Ibrahimovic are all 29. Combine that with players with some of the strongest wills in world football: the aforementioned Cassano, Mexes and Ibrahimovic along with players like Van Bommel, Gattuso and Ambrosini.
Allegri is highly rated by just about anyone and the side should be stronger than last year's title winners.

Juventus: A new stadium, some exciting new players (Elia, Barzagli, Ziegler, Vucinic, Pirlo, and Vidal dont feel like compromises), and enough experience to steady the ship. Shape is unclear but if they play 4-4-2: Buffon - Liechsteiner, Barzagli, Chiellini, Grosso - Elia, Vidal, Pirlo, Krasic - Vucinic, Matri. That is a starting 11 that would expect to reach a CL quarter final. As it is, they only have the league to concentrate on this year. As such, they should be serious title contenders.

Roma I have already discussed. New owner willing to spend money: he's shelled out an astonishing £80million on new players over the summer. Young coach. Rejuvenated team. They will almost certainly underachieve this year. If they can keep hold of De Rossi and their bright lights for one more season then they may well have a genuine title contender. The Enrique experiment hangs in the balance but everything is there for an astonishing side over the coming years.

Napoli have one of the most exciting teams in Italy guided by a fantastically innovative and fluid manager who plays a 3-5-2. Some of the most passionate fans in the world and a team that has made strong progress over the past 5 years backed by a president willing to spend, this is the year where they prove they are once again a big team. Watch out for Cavani, Pandev, Lavezzi, Hamsik and Inler in the Champions League. Cavani in particular is everything Balotelli should be. Big, fast, strong, genuinely two footed, good in the air and creative. The complete modern forward. Check this out for one the best goals you're likely to see all year at the Nou Camp:

Combine those 5 with clubs like Lazio, Palermo and Udinese whose scouting of Eastern Europe and South America is surely unrivalled by any team in Europe not in the Champions League. Cavani, Hernanes, Pastore, Sanchez and more have been discovered in recent years. The relative lack of money in Serie A has forced clubs to extend scouting networks abroad and build better relationships domestically. No other country has such a sophisticated network of partnerships whereby clubs can loan out youngster and spread risk through co-ownership deals.

Expect 2 or 3 Italian clubs reaching CL Quarter Finals by 2015.
Great roundup firstly.

I think Palermo will struggle to get back into Europe and recapture recent success. They've lost big players (Pastore, Cassani, Bovo Nocerino & Sirigu) and not replaced them with established players. They've still got some young, promising players like Illicic and Hernandez but the squad is undeniably weaker. Then there's the Zamparini factor, if Palermo have the same manager all season it'll be a miracle. Shame, always had a soft spot for Palermo, largely due to the pink kit.
Phonicsdude
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by voodoomagic)
Great roundup firstly.

I think Palermo will struggle to get back into Europe and recapture recent success. They've lost big players (Pastore, Cassani, Bovo Nocerino & Sirigu) and not replaced them with established players. They've still got some young, promising players like Illicic and Hernandez but the squad is undeniably weaker. Then there's the Zamparini factor, if Palermo have the same manager all season it'll be a miracle. Shame, always had a soft spot for Palermo, largely due to the pink kit.
Yeh I like Palermo too. I think you're right in all you say. Having said that Zamperini has changed coach 13 times in 5 years. Even Inter at their worst couldn't compete with that. And yet despite that they have done well given their resources. They are a peculiar case. Perhaps things just work well like that in Sicily.

I'd be highly surprised if they finished above Roma or Udinese this year. Remember Italy have lost their 4th spot to Germany (though there still isn't much in it and it could swing back). As such only 6 Italian teams qualify for Europe.
Catilina
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Phonicsdude)
Remember Italy have lost their 4th spot to Germany (though there still isn't much in it and it could swing back). As such only 6 Italian teams qualify for Europe.
Well Germany have finished above Italy consistantly for the past five years, it´s unlikely that it´ll change that soon again. The number of teams qualified for Europe however is still the same, the small difference being, that one team which would usually play in the Europa League, gets a chance in the champions league play offs.
Phonicsdude
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Catilina)
Well Germany have finished above Italy consistantly for the past five years, it´s unlikely that it´ll change that soon again. The number of teams qualified for Europe however is still the same, the small difference being, that one team which would usually play in the Europa League, gets a chance in the champions league play offs.
Yeh it's interesting because Italy has a better record over the past 5 years in the CL. They've produced two winners and produced sides that have gone further in 3 out of the past 5 years, and had more teams competing in the 1st knockout stage and quarter finals than Germany over that period.

Italy's flippancy towards the Europe League has cost them dear in the absence of any weighting in favour of CL games. Surely success in the CL needs to be weighted more heavily than success in the EL..!
NOBODY MOVE!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
bloody liechtenstein! is bad enough that lithuania lost at their patch 2-0, but now we cannot even score one goal against them at HOME?! :nooo:

byebye to hopes of qualifying ;_;
still, i will be going to hampden park on tuesday for the match against scotland. time off work + football match = HELLO EXCUSE FOR SUPER AWESOME ROADTRIP
Da_hopeful_1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Anyone got a video of Mesut Ozil's hattrick last night. Can't seem to find it anywhere
jit987
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Da_hopeful_1)
Anyone got a video of Mesut Ozil's hattrick last night. Can't seem to find it anywhere
Catilina
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Da_hopeful_1)
Officially it´s not a hattrick, the UEFA counts the first goal as Klose´s. Müller was amazing as well he provided 3 assists, 2 of which made it almost impossible not to score.
Phonicsdude
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Roma players in and out (including loans)

Players in…
Curci (gk, Sampdoria), Stekelenburg (gk Ajax), Angel (d, Sporting Gijon), Heinze (d, Marseille), Kjaer (d, Wolfsburg), Malomo (d, Prato), Nego (d, Nantes), Citro (m, Cavese), Gago (m, Real Madrid), Guberti (m, Sampdoria), Massimo (m, Aversa), Mendy (m, Parma), Pjanic (m, Lyon), Borini (a, Parma), Koffi (a, Napoli), Krkic (a, Barcelona), Lamela (a, River Plate), Osvaldo (a, Espanyol)

Players out…
Doni (gk, Liverpool), Sergio (gk, Lecce), Mexes (d, Milan), Riise (d, Fulham), Brighi (m, Atalanta), Menez (m, Paris Saint-Germain), Pettinari (a, Crotone), Scardina (a, Viareggio), Vucinic (a, Juventus)

Mexes, Menez and Vucinic are losses but there's so much quality coming in. Borini. Talent.

Interesting developments as Sabatini, Roma's director of Sport, has criticised Totti calling him vain. Totti had previously reacted badly to being substituted against Bratislava in the Europa league qualifier, storming out the stadium. Previously Totti has held enough power to get away with strops and force the manager to pick him. This time the owner, Benedetto, and the director, Baldini (England general manager), have come out to criticise Totti and defend the coach, Enrique.

So Sabatini held a press conference saying:

There are no untouchable players in modern-day football. Francesco has to deal with being left out in a different way. He has to look after himself so that we can get the most out of him, swallow his pride and remember that he's always a great help to the team.

However, Totti has to resolve the issue by taking a step towards the Coach and helping Luis Enrique to do his job. I know that not playing is a huge sacrifice for him, but the captain must not allow people to act as if he was betrayed by being left on the bench.

Maybe Totti would be more useful to Roma playing 20 games per season rather than 30. He ought to keep his smile when he’s on the bench, partly to help the newcomers avoid this embarrassment. Luis Enrique must be allowed to make his decisions without going on trial.

I will not passively sit by and watch everything go to ruin. I won’t listen to the band play as the Titanic sinks, because I tell you this is going to be a big problem for Roma. I want Totti to come out and speak to the media about this, as his silence is making things worse.

He doesn’t have to get accustomed to being dropped, but merely experience it in a different way. He has to put to one side any form of vanity, knowing he’d be really helping the squad.
This is like Terry and Lampard combined being criticised. Big deal.
Louis.
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Messi and Ronaldo swap clubs, who wins the league?
Mess.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Louis.)
Messi and Ronaldo swap clubs, who wins the league?
Barcelona :yep: Probably by even more as Ronaldo gives them that 'Plan B' that Guardiola craves.
Messi performs amazingly well but not as well as at Barcelona as they can't set up to get the best out of him.
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Today is an historic day (i think)

By losing 2-1 to Sierra Leone, Egpyt becomes the first defending champions to fail to qualify fo the tournament proper, hencefort won't defend their title.

I'm pretty sure it has never happend in international football.
ra-ra-ra
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by aa22)
I was raging when I heard Carvalho had left.. We needed him for the Euros, and he could have retired after that. No idea what has happened, but whoever made him think he wasn't needed in the team deserves to be shot.

Ugh, don't even make me think about Rolando starting for Portugal..

Bento is starting up conflict with all the players again like he did at Sporting.. dunno if its his fault or not, but it seems he is rubbish at man management..
Can't wait til we get Mou as our manager someday

Thinking about it, I'm impressed that Porto have only sold Falcao. You've held on to most of your team which can only be good. Iturbe might force Hulk inside? I dunno, but it looks very strong.. almost no difference to last season.

And yeh, Postiga and Yanick are gone.. Postiga's fee is a joke, dunno why Sporting sold him for so cheap (despite being rubbish, they don't exactly have many great strikers in the team)

I can't understand why Urreta has not been given a chance again this season.. BUT, loaning him to Guimaraes at least gives us a better chance to keep track of him.. they should have loaned out David Simao and Mika while they were at it..

Also. WTF is Jesus thinking not including Capdevila in the CL squad? We have only one Leftback now, and I don't want to imagine what he'll do if Emerson gets suspended, injured or drops in form.. Jardel at Leftback? Dont tell me he'll put David Simao there (he did that position in preseason but he was clearly not comfortable there) :puke:
Makes no sense... why even bring Cap into the team, we're only paying absurd wages to him. I'll be surprised if he even plays much in the League. I hate how he has certain players that are his favourites and then absolutely denies anyone else a chance to impress..
Ah, 3 points but the performance wasn't one of our best, the scoreline makes it sound better than it actually was, but i don't care..3 points and didn't mess up like we did last time against Cyprus!

Bento is an idiot, he said in the interview before the game that there's no way back for Ric. And that it was because he wasn't going to play. How stupid! He's so important for us, it's such a shame it's ended like this for him too, as he's been great and didn't deserve to end it like this. I guess he won't be wearing a Portugal shirt again until Bento leaves though and so we'll have to deal with Bruno and Pepe with Rolando as the back up...argh! He also said that he didn't pick Bosingwa because he's not completely fit... correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm sure he's played the whole 90 minutes in all 3 of Chesleas PL games? So yeah, he's not completely fit?! Something isn't right!

And Ruben Micael first choice....really!? There was a reason why he left Porto, went to Atleti and they loaned him out straight away.. because he's nothing great! Veloso was just as bad too when he came on for him...bring back Carlos!!

I can't believe Mika never got loaned out, what a waste of a season for him, or maybe until January when JJ sees some sense to loan him out. Cup games won't be good enough for him!
Did he not call him up? That's crazy, why bring someone like him in if he's barely going to be used when really, you need a guy like that at the back or at least some decent back-up like him.
Da_hopeful_1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Catilina)
Officially it´s not a hattrick, the UEFA counts the first goal as Klose´s. Müller was amazing as well he provided 3 assists, 2 of which made it almost impossible not to score.
If you look closely at the replays, Klose didn't touch it.
Barça
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Mess.)
Barcelona :yep: Probably by even more as Ronaldo gives them that 'Plan B' that Guardiola craves.
Messi performs amazingly well but not as well as at Barcelona as they can't set up to get the best out of him.
What Plan B?
Colbert
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If this swap did happen it would be interesting to see Ronaldo in his advanced left position with Villa moving back to the centre :yum:

Not sure what Mourinho would do with Messi though as he tends to favour a strong forward (Drogba, Higuain, Benzema) so might stick Messi back in a more generic #10 position and floating all around with Ozil and Di Maria alongside. Pretty tasty :beard:
Cities
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Interesting scenario. Essentially it's asking if Barca and Madrid played each other with Ronaldo and Messi swapped who would win. I am inclined to say Barca
Mess.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Barça)
What Plan B?
Well either you missed buying Zlatan or are just trying to be perversly loyal to Barcelona :dontknow:
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (29)
26.61%
No - I got the required grades (66)
60.55%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (14)
12.84%

Watched Threads