Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joebloggs105)
    fact is, at least I support my local club. 90% of you arent even from london. theres a lad named zurich bumming this discussion 24/7 for gods sake
    Thats absolute bull. I don't watch football so that I can brag about my local team's performance to my mates but I watch it cause its fun. I support Arsenal (try to watch at least a few games live but its difficult since I'm in Cardiff) because of the football they play and wouldn't dream of supporting another club even if I don't live in London!

Anyway we've got a page and half dedicated to your stupidity so I'm not going to encourage you any further

ReputationRep:
    Didn't Juve's president only say the other day that "As far as I know, he [Higuain] is already elsewhere"?
    Balague really doesn't know as much as people give him credit for. He got the Cesc news wrong and only changed his mind at the last minute. I don't doubt he knows some stuff about Barca and is close to Guardiola but anything unrelated to that I wouldn't pay attention. He sells his stories via sulia where any time some-one clicks on a link to a sulia page it puts pennies in his pockets. Plus obviously more people (mostly Arsenal fans) are going to read a page that say we might not get Higuain to find more info about it, therefore he makes more money. Juve may have come in with an offer but let's not take any rumours as absolute truth.

To try and calm any worried Arsenal fans down about football journalists bull***, lets have a look a who we're supposed to be signing this summer, shall we?

Spoiler:
    Show

Kyriakos Papadopoulos (The Sun)
    Adam Maher (Caught Offside)
    Tin Jedvaj (Standard)
    Yann M'Vila (TalkSPORT)
    Cristian Tello (Express)
    Lopez Cabrera (TalkSPORT)
    Andy Carroll (Star)
    Adil Rami (Express),
    Ruben Garcia (Express)
    Yan Dhanda(Mirror)
    Asier Illarramendi (Daily Mirror)
    Dimitri Payet (Mirror)
    Mathieu Valbuena (Caught Offside)
    Odil Ahmedov (Metro)
    Stephan El Shaarawy (Mirror)
    Lorenzo Melgarejo (SKY Sports)
    Nicolas Gaitan.(Daily Mirror)
    Demba Ba (Caught Offside)
    Juan Mata (SKY Sports)
    Ilkay Gundogan (Daily Mirror)
    Marouane Fellaini
    Stephen Taylor (Various)
    David Alaba (Metro)
    Mattias Ginter (Mirror)
    Michu (Various)
    Samir Na$ri (Just Arsenal News)
    Lars Bender (Mail online)
    Moussa Sow (Caught Offside)
    Abdisalam Ibrahim. (IB Times)
    Dan Crowley (talkSPORT)
    Cesc Fabregas (Mirror and SS News)
    Rubén Garcia(Mirror)
    Stephen N'Zonzi(Mirror)
    Younes Belhanda (Various)
    Nani(Star)
    Martyn Skrtel(The Sun)
    Bafetimbi Gomis (Caught Offside)
    Geoffrey Kondogbia (ESPN)
    Clement Grenier (Various)
    Luke Shaw (Mirror)
    Eder (talkSPORT)
    Julio Cesar (Mirror)
    Simon Mignolet(IB Times)
    Paul Pogba (Various)
    Etiene Capoue (IB Times)
    Maxime Gonalons (Express)
    Chieke Tiote (Express)
    Victor Wanyama (Express)
    Stevan Jovetic (Various)
    Yaya Sonogo (Various)
    Yohan Gourcuff (Independent)
    Gonzo Higuain (Daily Mail)
    Wayne Rooney (Various)
    Ashley Williams (Various)
    Christain Benteke (Guardian)
    Victor Valdes (Express)
    Lucas Biglia (Independent)
    David Villa (Various)

Now, call me crazy, but I for one am slightly concerned about the financial risks of signing 59 players this summer. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    U forgot Messi. We've already signed him, Wenger said so.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    He's committed to the troll.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The youth of today.

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Anyway... Do people think Tom will keep the armband next season?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goofymark13)
    Anyway... Do people think Tom will keep the armband next season?
    No

ReputationRep:
    No disrespect to Tommy but surely he's one of the worst captains we've had under Wenger (though obviously not worse than Gallas) and unless Per/Kos get injured a lot next season he won't even be a regular starter. I thought Arteta was a decent captain when he was given the armband, seems very respected by the whole squad and never loses his cool i.e like RVP is prone to. Bit too early for Wilshere, I say leave it with Arteta and make Jack VC when Arteta's not playing.

Although, if we were to bring in Fellaini (or someone like Fellaini) do you think Wenger would go Fellaini-Arteta or Fellaini-Ramsey? I think the former would be safer for now, although if Ramsey keeps improving like he did this season then the latter will be a great partnership. (obviously I'm not saying specifically Fellaini alongside Ramsey, but someone of his quality).

Szczesny as captain would never happen but I reckon he'd be so dedicated to it, would be funny considering the amount he rips on Spurs and the like. Tbh he's as much a Gooner as Gibbs/Wilshere/Jenko in my eyes.

In a couple of years, it's going to be easy, Wilshere as captain, no doubt about it, with either Jenko or Ramsey VC. This season honestly as strange as it sounds I don't think the armband will matter too much, we've got plenty of players who play their hearts out on the pitch, dedicated leaders, top professionals.

(Original post by glousck)
    No disrespect to Tommy but surely he's one of the worst captains we've had under Wenger (though obviously not worse than Gallas) and unless Per/Kos get injured a lot next season he won't even be a regular starter. I thought Arteta was a decent captain when he was given the armband, seems very respected by the whole squad and never loses his cool i.e like RVP is prone to. Bit too early for Wilshere, I say leave it with Arteta and make Jack VC when Arteta's not playing.

Although, if we were to bring in Fellaini (or someone like Fellaini) do you think Wenger would go Fellaini-Arteta or Fellaini-Ramsey? I think the former would be safer for now, although if Ramsey keeps improving like he did this season then the latter will be a great partnership. (obviously I'm not saying specifically Fellaini alongside Ramsey, but someone of his quality).

Szczesny as captain would never happen but I reckon he'd be so dedicated to it, would be funny considering the amount he rips on Spurs and the like. Tbh he's as much a Gooner as Gibbs/Wilshere/Jenko in my eyes.

In a couple of years, it's going to be easy, Wilshere as captain, no doubt about it, with either Jenko or Ramsey VC. This season honestly as strange as it sounds I don't think the armband will matter too much, we've got plenty of players who play their hearts out on the pitch, dedicated leaders, top professionals.
    I think Wenger thinks the same as the bolded. :yep: He said as much in one interview last season: something along the lines of captaincy being given a lot of importance in England but it not mattering that much. The way I see it, the only person to give the armband to that would fit the conventional framework of captaincy would be Wilshere; he's clearly vocal, clearly inspirational and clearly a first-team player. I personally think he'd handle the pressure all right as well - but I can definitely see why people wouldn't want to risk it just yet. And Wenger's never been one for conventionality when it comes to the captaincy anyway. I wouldn't be shocked to see someone like Sagna have it next season. :p: As it is, I think the likeliest candidate is Arteta; which would probably mean that if he's going to be phased out, it's going to be very slowly over the course of the season rather than straight away.

Also, have people seen this? Tony Adams doesn't think it would be a good idea for us to sign Rooney.

"I'm not sure Wayne Rooney could handle London, to be completely honest. That would be a massive risk," said the 46-year-old.

"I don't think it's a question of finances. I think it's his temperament and mentality. London is a different animal and it takes a different type of player.

"Wayne is unquestionably a super player and I'd love to see him at the Arsenal. Technically he's fantastic but I'm not sure about him mentally, off the pitch, and his professionalism.

"I know Sir Alex Ferguson has dealt with Wayne brilliantly over the last few years and I'm sure Arsene Wenger could handle him, but I'm not sure. I wouldn't like to spend my money on Wayne."
    Interesting. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)

Also, have people seen this? Tony Adams doesn't think it would be a good idea for us to sign Rooney.

Interesting. :holmes:
    Considering Adams was London born and bred, and that wild horses couldnt drag him away from the bars and clubs once he had a few shllings in his pocket, I can see where he's coming from. Never been to Manchester but I'd imagine there's only so many things that could distract you up there. Rooney with money to burn in a metropolis like London and no Fergie to keep him in line could run riot.

Wrt to the captaincy, Im not convinced with Arteta because he's not necessarily, although that depends on if we sign a new MF like Fellaini. Personally I'd actually go for Wilshere right now, Adams was captain at a younger age and they're cut from the same cloth. Arteta remaining as VC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Considering Adams was London born and bred, and that wild horses couldnt drag him away from the bars and clubs once he had a few shllings in his pocket, I can see where he's coming from. Never been to Manchester but I'd imagine there's only so many things that could distract you up there. Rooney with money to burn in a metropolis like London and no Fergie to keep him in line could run riot.
    With all due respect to Tony he's talking utter nonsense, London is a "different animal" wtf, as if Rooney never been to London before. Manchester is even worst than London in many ways. Most Arsenal players live in Hertfordshire not central London plus Rooney got 2 kids now, he's 28 and he's taken a more subtle approach to life. When players have kids they change. All their time off is spent with their family. Compare Jack to Szechny. Having a child made him so much mature whilst Szechny can find the time is go clubbing after losing a game

ReputationRep:

Wrt to the captaincy, Im not convinced with Arteta because he's not necessarily, although that depends on if we sign a new MF like Fellaini. Personally I'd actually go for Wilshere right now, Adams was captain at a younger age and they're cut from the same cloth. Arteta remaining as VC.
    Manchester is called 'the second london' for a reason. If it was liverpool and him going to london I'd say fair enough. It all depends on how wenger utilizes him, he seems to have a good enough man management, I don't see many players revolting under wenger and he's always had the respect of his players(possibly too much as the mentality of some of the players is wasteman like obedient at times)

Wilshere could easily be captain, him carrying you for a good 3-4 months until the tottenham game is more than enough to warrant a captaincy imo. Plays like he loves the club too.

(Original post by sevchenko)
    With all due respect to Tony he's talking utter nonsense, London is a "different animal" wtf, as if Rooney never been to London before. Manchester is even worst than London in many ways. Most Arsenal players live in Hertfordshire not central London plus Rooney got 2 kids now, he's 28 and he's taken a more subtle approach to life. When players have kids they change. All their time off is spent with their family. Compare Jack to Szechny. Having a child made him so much mature whilst Szechny can find the time is go clubbing after losing a game
    :rofl2: He goes clubbing when his team loses that's a good one. He's jokes man.

Mm, that's an interesting one. That's one aspect of transfer I rarely think about, so it's interesting to hear perspectives on it. :holmes: I don't know enough about Manchester to comment myself!

I agree, I'd be slightly apprehensive but happy enough if Wilshere was named captain. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    also bearing in mind that things have changed since Adams' day. ie. Rooney isn't an alcoholic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    its fair enough, but the point remains that Rooney in London without Fergie could easily turn into a free for all to some extent.

Most of the Arsenal lads are living in Barnet apparently although some of the more adventurous lived in bachelor pads in Hampstead/Highgate like Pires/Ljungberg. Poldi and Mertesacker apparently live almost next door to each other on Hampstead high st. Giroud/Vermaelen live near Primrose Hill. Wenger's house in Totteridge is typical, so so cheap compared to what he's worth but of course he bought it in 1996 when it was undervalued .

If I was playing for Arsenal I definitely wouldnt live in the sticks though, would have some ****-off mansion in St Johns Wood.

ReputationRep:
    On Higuain to arsenal, deal agreed in principle with player and club. But Real stalling on signing it off b4 new manager's in place

@JWTelegraph

Jeremy Wilson

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imthe12)
    On Higuain to arsenal, deal agreed in principle with player and club. But Real stalling on signing it off b4 new manager's in place

@JWTelegraph

Jeremy Wilson
    Several different media outlets saying Ancelotti will be appointed tomorrow. So Higuain could be an Arsenal player within days (subject to a medical) if all goes well :O

ReputationRep:
    That Tony Adams statement is so strange man. Swear down all footballers spend their times in London anyways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    That Tony Adams statement is so strange man. Swear down all footballers spend their times in London anyways.
    Seriously, where else are you gonna go as a young multimillionaire?

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.