Turn on thread page Beta

The Commons Bar Mk VIII - MHoC Chat Thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    tbh I'd happily ban Rugby League. Horrible "sport".
    It's my second favourite sport after football!! What on earth is wrong with it?!

Played by people who respect the refs, generally stick to the rules, and it's fast, hard hitting thrill a minute stuff. That's a proper sport
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by O133)
    Thanks!

What's wrong with league? Gameplay-wise it's at least as good as union.
    (Original post by bun)
    It's my second favourite sport after football!! What on earth is wrong with it?!

Played by people who respect the refs, generally stick to the rules, and it's fast, hard hitting thrill a minute stuff. That's a proper sport
    I find it dull and a pathetic imitation of Union (the only real form of rugby), As for why:
    - The six phases then hand the ball to the opposition stuff. That's not part of a competitive sport, that's a bloody training session where they couldn't find the tackle dummies.
    - The removal of lineouts, mauls and rucks and the general uncontested nature of possession. Combined with the six phases stuff, it essentially turns into an attempt to see how far each side can run with the ball, it removes the competitive element.

It's just generally a training exercise in ball-carrying, not a sport in it's own right as far as I'm concerned.

ReputationRep:
    I find it dull and a pathetic imitation of Union (the only real form of rugby), As for why:
    - The six phases then hand the ball to the opposition stuff. That's not part of a competitive sport, that's a bloody training session where they couldn't find the tackle dummies.
    - The removal of lineouts, mauls and rucks and the general uncontested nature of possession. Combined with the six phases stuff, it essentially turns into an attempt to see how far each side can run with the ball, it removes the competitive element.

It's just generally a training exercise in ball-carrying, not a sport in it's own right as far as I'm concerned.
    I'll be on my own here probably, but it's 10x the sport that union is.
    Union is slow, it's full of kick and chase, the players are physically nowhere near the specimens of the League stars.
    Rooks and Mauls are boring, it clogs up gameplay.

Rugby league, you have 6 chances so it encourages more skill, more speed, better passing.

It is the true rugby.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by bun)
    I'll be on my own here probably, but it's 10x the sport that union is.
    Union is slow, it's full of kick and chase, the players are physically nowhere near the specimens of the League stars.
    Rooks and Mauls are boring, it clogs up gameplay.

Rugby league, you have 6 chances so it encourages more skill, more speed, better passing.

It is the true rugby.
    Can't agree with that in the slightest - Rugby League is boring, it's had every element of competitiveness drained out of it and turned into a simple physical contest - who's bigger, who's faster etc. If I wanted to watch that, I'd watch Advertball (American Football) - at least that has some semblance of tactics in it.

Ruck and mauls make it far more interesting I find - contesting possession adds a tactical element, through the commitment of players into the ruck or maul in an attempt to control the possession, but balancing that against the breakaway threat of the other side.

ReputationRep:
    Can't agree with that in the slightest - Rugby League is boring, it's had every element of competitiveness drained out of it and turned into a simple physical contest - who's bigger, who's faster etc. If I wanted to watch that, I'd watch Advertball (American Football) - at least that has some semblance of tactics in it.

Ruck and mauls make it far more interesting I find - contesting possession adds a tactical element, through the commitment of players into the ruck or maul in an attempt to control the possession, but balancing that against the breakaway threat of the other side.
    This is clearly where were going to differ because we want different things

For my tactics fill, I have football, and the occasional snooker. With rugby I just want fast paced, skilful, hard hitting stuff. Nothing complicated, just raw passion and aggression. And that's why for me league is far superior. I've played both, and watched both, but there can only be league at the end of the day for me.

I can see where you're coming from, but the points you dislike are the points I like!

As for Handegg (American football) that's nowhere near the physicality of rugby league. The rhinos played an American football team not that long ago in a half/half code match. They stuffed them in both sports
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by bun)
    This is clearly where were going to differ because we want different things

For my tactics fill, I have football, and the occasional snooker. With rugby I just want fast paced, skilful, hard hitting stuff. Nothing complicated, just raw passion and aggression. And that's why for me league is far superior. I've played both, and watched both, but there can only be league at the end of the day for me.

I can see where you're coming from, but the points you dislike are the points I like!

As for Handegg (American football) that's nowhere near the physicality of rugby league. The rhinos played an American football team not that long ago in a half/half code match. They stuffed them in both sports
    I'm no fan of Handegg, but it is a very physical sport - much as I enjoy the odd goading of Handegg fans as supporting a bunch of cowards (they wear full body armour, rugby players protect their bones with a t-shirt), they wear all that padding due to the need for protection, because the power in the hits is ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    I'm no fan of Handegg, but it is a very physical sport - much as I enjoy the odd goading of Handegg fans as supporting a bunch of cowards (they wear full body armour, rugby players protect their bones with a t-shirt), they wear all that padding due to the need for protection, because the power in the hits is ridiculous.
    I know I know - but league is faster and more hard hitting. I think that match pretty much proved that. Or perhaps just that without their pads the players were too scared, I don't know.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by bun)
    I know I know - but league is faster and more hard hitting. I think that match pretty much proved that. Or perhaps just that without their pads the players were too scared, I don't know.
    I'd imagine the latter tbh, handegg players are absolutely huge even in comparison to players of both codes; I'd imagine it's more shying out of things due to the lack of protection that they're used to.

Moving on, anyone had a crack at the steam sales? Unfortunately I don't see the summers pay-rise until next Friday, but I've picked up a few good bargins still. Found my new favourite game in "Sir, You Are Being Hunted" - survival game where you're searching for the parts of a machine to get you home to your own dimension, all the while being hunted like grouse by robot toffs in tweed. It's surreal but corking fun.

ReputationRep:
    Tennis is the best sport. Forget the team rubbish and watch a true individual sport which pushes players to the limit of strength and physical endurance at the top of the game. Just watch Del Potro and Djokovic slogging it out for 4 hours at Wimbledon last year.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Tennis is the best sport. Forget the team rubbish and watch a true individual sport which pushes players to the limit of strength and physical endurance at the top of the game. Just watch Del Potro and Djokovic slogging it out for 4 hours at Wimbledon last year.
    Ooh so close - badminton for me. That's only playing badminton though, I don't think that I actually enjoy watching any sports really - it seems rather pointless, but tennis is probably my favourite, well best of a bad bunch, to watch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    Ooh so close - badminton for me. That's only playing badminton though, I don't think that I actually enjoy watching any sports really - it seems rather pointless, but tennis is probably my favourite, well best of a bad bunch, to watch.
    The thing with tennis is that the womans game and 50% of the mens game is quick, soft and not at all a good advertisement for the sport. Near the top of the game though you'll be hard pressed to find stronger or better athletes be it when there's a 160mph serve coming at you from Cilic, a 100mph+ forehand ripped from the baseline by Del Potro or simply the radiance and ease of Federer's style of play making the game look oh so beautiful, not to mention the 5 hour finals with 30 shot rallies from Nadal and Djokovic..
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    4 hours, pah - I remember the 3 day match of 2010. Isner vs Mahut was possibly the best thing to watch that summer (which says a lot about how poor the last World Cup was)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    The thing with tennis is that the womans game and 50% of the mens game is quick, soft and not at all a good advertisement for the sport. Near the top of the game though you'll be hard pressed to find stronger or better athletes be it when there's a 160mph serve coming at you from Cilic, a 100mph+ forehand ripped from the baseline by Del Potro or simply the radiance and ease of Federer's style of play making the game look oh so beautiful, not to mention the 5 hour finals with 30 shot rallies from Nadal and Djokovic..
    Not that I know much about tennis, but that is my favourite part of the sport - though I imagine that I'd be like a rabbit in the headlights at that level of the game.

ReputationRep:
    Not that I know much about tennis, but that is my favourite part of the sport - though I imagine that I'd be like a rabbit in the headlights at that level of the game.
    Which bit is your favourate?

ReputationRep:
    4 hours, pah - I remember the 3 day match of 2010. Isner vs Mahut was possibly the best thing to watch that summer (which says a lot about how poor the last World Cup was)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah yeah, a feat but i don't think the quality was all that high.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely agree there!!

I find about 75% of tennis very dull. But at the very top, it's fantastic. It can't come close to football or rugby for me because its non-contact, but stil the ability and fitness of the top players is phenomenal.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Which bit is your favourate?
    This bit:

Near the top of the game though you'll be hard pressed to find stronger or better athletes be it when there's a 160mph serve coming at you from Cilic, a 100mph+ forehand ripped from the baseline by Del Potro or simply the radiance and ease of Federer's style of play making the game look oh so beautiful, not to mention the 5 hour finals with 30 shot rallies from Nadal and Djokovic..

I would put it differently, but since I know very little and you've said it well, I've just used your words.

ReputationRep:
    This bit:

Near the top of the game though you'll be hard pressed to find stronger or better athletes be it when there's a 160mph serve coming at you from Cilic, a 100mph+ forehand ripped from the baseline by Del Potro or simply the radiance and ease of Federer's style of play making the game look oh so beautiful, not to mention the 5 hour finals with 30 shot rallies from Nadal and Djokovic..

I would put it differently, but since I know very little and you've said it well, I've just used your words.
    Ah yes.

For the best advertisement of the sport, youtube a video of Verdasco vs Nadal at the Ausi Open 09. That was a stunning match from start to finish.

ReputationRep:
    I just don't feel there's the same passion in tennis as there is in team sports. I mean I love watching the bigger events like Wimbledon and so on and supporting Murray but I'm not bothered what he does outside of these. With football, I go to as many Wrexham games as time and money allow and my emotions reach levels that just don't compare with tennis and other sports to be fair. Not to say tennis isn't a brilliant sport but I feel there's a reason football is the most popular sport in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superunknown17)
    I just don't feel there's the same passion in tennis as there is in team sports. I mean I love watching the bigger events like Wimbledon and so on and supporting Murray but I'm not bothered what he does outside of these. With football, I go to as many Wrexham games as time and money allow and my emotions reach levels that just don't compare with tennis and other sports to be fair. Not to say tennis isn't a brilliant sport but I feel there's a reason football is the most popular sport in the world.
    Pretty much sums my feelings up perfectly. Except Wrexham. Pah.

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.