Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Gutted after Rafa losing today... Such a champ and it hurts to see him like this although he is improving, not there close yet, and especially as I've been a diehard fan for years. Praying he will bounce back like a tiger roaring showing who he is in 2016 winning slams and masters again and regaining his no.1 position. Vamos matador...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Can't see Rafa bouncing back, unfortunately. That's a shame, but he seems a shadow of his once brilliant former self.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Can't see Rafa bouncing back, unfortunately. That's a shame, but he seems a shadow of his once brilliant former self.
    He'll be back.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Fingers Crossed xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatGuyRik)
    He'll be back.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Fingers Crossed xD
    I really hope so. Just keep vamosing

ReputationRep:
    Who else thinks Australian open 2014 really destroyed Rafas career? If he had won, things would have been different today

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaKoolguy)
    Who else thinks Australian open 2014 really destroyed Rafas career? If he had won, things would have been different today
    I don't think so. He bounced back in fine fashion to win the French...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smash50)
    I don't think so. He bounced back in fine fashion to win the French...
    Yes but afterwards he was starting to lose more on clay such as Rome and Monte Carlo, only winning Madrid, unlike previous years when he just simply won all. Back then doubts were arising that maybe Djokovic will win even though he eventually didn't when rafa played awesome in RG final. I think If he had won Australia, he just would have had a huge confidence boost and just dominated, and the reason maybe his level was falling in the euro clay swing could have been coz that defeat to wawrinka was especially traumatic to his mind, and himself he said that was his 'toughest loss' so yeah, if he didn't have his back injury in the final...Rafa would be differ

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaKoolguy)
    He has been on a decline since winning the US Open two years ago. The French Open triumph last year was just him rolling back the years.

ReputationRep:
    It's all about to start, looking forward to this one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_K1NG)
    He has been on a decline since winning the US Open two years ago. The French Open triumph last year was just him rolling back the years.
    Ya true, but his level in Australian open 2014 was still 'his best' in my opinion, reaching the finals beating Federer in straight sets. It was just his back injury in the final that stopped him from winning (

ReputationRep:
    Both Djokovic and Federer were off their best but in the important moments Djokovic was more solid than Federer and has been in the biggest moments for a while now. If Federer wants to win a slam next year he needs to do a lot better in the important moments.
    As for Djokovic probably the best season in Open era considering the titles he's won and his overall consistency

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizzy95)
    Both Djokovic and Federer were off their best but in the important moments Djokovic was more solid than Federer and has been in the biggest moments for a while now. If Federer wants to win a slam next year he needs to do a lot better in the important moments.
    As for Djokovic probably the best season in Open era considering the titles he's won and his overall consistency
    Agreed. Do you think Nadal can win the French next year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smash50)
    Agreed. Do you think Nadal can win the French next year?
    Nadal will always be the favourite for RG in my eyes until the day he retires. He's improving and there's nowhere he'll feel more comfortable to go for his game than at RG next year, if he's at 80% then it's "La Decima". I think Rafa, Novak and Stan are the very early favourites in that order. Saying that I'm a Djokovic fan so hopefully he can finally get RG next year and Nadal can wait one year to get no. 10

ReputationRep:
    Novak is an absolute machine! :awesome:

Since he's only 28, he could surpass Roger's record of 17 slams by the end of is career. Yes, it's a tough ask, but I wouldn't put it past him!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Most Competitive)
    Novak is an absolute machine! :awesome:

Since he's only 28, he could surpass Roger's record of 17 slams by the end of is career. Yes, it's a tough ask, but I wouldn't put it past him!
    He probably will. There is no competition. Nadal(unfortunately) is past his best along with Federer. Murray just isn't good enough.

ReputationRep:
    As we end the season for another year i thought it worth a look at a few players over the year as i usually do..

Federer: 2-3 (-1)

Nadal: 3-5 (-2)

Djokovic: 1-1 (-)

Murray: 6-2 (+4)

Warwinka: 4-4 (-)

Tomic: 55-18 (+37)

Raonic: 8-14 (-6)

Nikishori: 5-8 (-3)

Kyrigos: 52-30 (+22)

Dimitrov: 11-28 (-17)

No Del Potro this year and it's fair to say that none of the young guns built on their prior success which allowed Djokovic to be unchallenged for the most part with Fed and Murray having solid seasons and Nadal being a bit disappointing. Tomic while not producing a 2011 style shock did very well in consistency and is at a career high (only 23 still) so perhaps he'll push on that next season.

ReputationRep:
    Thoughts on Federer parting ways with Edberg and Ljubicic joining the team?

ReputationRep:
    Thoughts on Federer parting ways with Edberg and Ljubicic joining the team?
    Dumb decision. Edberg made Federer relevant again after a disastrous 2013 season. What is Ljubicic gonna bring to Federer's game? Nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_K1NG)
    Dumb decision. Edberg made Federer relevant again after a disastrous 2013 season. What is Ljubicic gonna bring to Federer's game? Nothing.
    Yeah definitely looks random on the surface but it could work out. Most people had doubts when Becker joined Djokovic's team and that worked out well but it's a different player and a different situation, time will tell I guess..

ReputationRep:
    Yeah definitely looks random on the surface but it could work out. Most people had doubts when Becker joined Djokovic's team and that worked out well but it's a different player and a different situation, time will tell I guess..
    But Djokovic was 26 when he hired Becker so he had time to improve. Federer at the age of 34 isn't gonna get any better. I think this is a rather desperate move to win another slam.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.