Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShotsFired-9941)
    You are getting ridiculous. For a team who is pursuing a highly valued player his contract situation hardly holds any water as long as it's confirmed he will be leaving in the upcoming transfer window.

Either I didn't explain substantively in my previous post or you are going off a tangent... tbh...I really don't care.
    What nonsense are you on about? Having only a year left makes a massive difference - Owen left us for 8mil despite being a Ballon d'Or winner because he only had a year left.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Given Liverpool's recent record in the transfer market, seeing them with more money to spend isn't worrying in the slightest. Rodgers has signed 21 players in his time at Liverpool. Aside from Sturridge and possibly Coutinho, who has actually been a success?

''If you spend around £100m, then you are expected to be challenging for the league.''
    Brenton Rodgers, 2014.
    you're completely right and i can't tell you how frustrating it is.
    it's a double whammy too - we buy the wrong players and severely overspend on them.

but the season is young, i still have faith, there is still time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samir12)
    Even a team like Chelsea suffered today without their top striker. One top striker can really make the difference.
    exactly, this is the argument for sturridge.
    somebody a few days back said that the longer sturridge is out, the better he seems to become.
    that is true - the worse we're doing, the more we think sturridge will change things when he returns and we really shouldn't put that much pressure and expectation on him.

that being said his input is massive, absolutely massive.
    he can create goals from nothing.
    he can distract a few defenders by making a run making space for others in doing so.
    he's a vey fast player with great intelligence and chemistry with the players around him.
    and most importantly he actually delivers; the scores the goals, he finishes the bloody chances that we just cant finish right now.

...Did luke hack your account or what?

(Original post by Zerforax)
    I'd much rather read Luke's posts than your drivel.
    should i be offended by that?:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obiejess)
    Luke. I'm going to be blunt here. Sometimes you chat absolute ****, and it tends to piss people off. You play into the trolls hands, and then wonder why people get irritated at you.

On the flipside, you can make excellent contributions and make some really good points that make sense.

However, in order for you to gain any nuance of respect you need to stop looking for a fight. I'm being serious. Zeforax just defended you there and you didn't have to respond to that other muppet. If you stop feeding the trolls, they'll leave you alone, and people will actually consider your posts worthwhile.

/rant

Posted from TSR Mobile
    nah that's fair enough - i got no problem with people being blunt if the intentions are good.
    just people being needlessly childish, starting battles behind their computer screens are the ones that annoy me the most.

yeah sometimes i look back and wonder what the hell i was thinking when i posted that but at least i try to post about football.
    please don't call me Luke though - that isn't my name on here anymore and people should respect that.

(Original post by LosingDogs)
    Lol at Obiejess saying Luke chats **** when she's the worst poster in this section of TSR ^

Posted from TSR Mobile
    i wouldn't say so.
    obiejess can be a little pessimistic at times but there's nothing wrong with that.
    i don't see her starting pointless petty fights on a football forum, i see her giving her opinion on the sport.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    nah that's fair enough - i got no problem with people being blunt if the intentions are good.
    just people being needlessly childish, starting battles behind their computer screens are the ones that annoy me the most.

yeah sometimes i look back and wonder what the hell i was thinking when i posted that but at least i try to post about football.
    please don't call me Luke though - that isn't my name on here anymore and people should respect that.

i wouldn't say so.
    obiejess can be a little pessimistic at times but there's nothing wrong with that.
    i don't see her starting pointless petty fights on a football forum, i see her giving her opinion on the sport.
    Yeah I'm sorry I added in the edit and I do think you are someone who genuinely cares about the team. Which I can respect.

Okay, Lucio from here on out

Cheers, but you don't need to defend me against a bunch of muppets

And I know I'm pessimistic lol, probably because I'm too afraid of being optimistic and getting let down.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)

should i be offended by that?:rolleyes:
    :love:

ReputationRep:
    :love:
    You're a married man

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LosingDogs)
    You're a married man

Posted from TSR Mobile
    touche
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    you're completely right and i can't tell you how frustrating it is.
    it's a double whammy too - we buy the wrong players and severely overspend on them.

but the season is young, i still have faith, there is still time.
    If it's any consolation we've pissed away just as much money on Zaha, Young, Bebe, Smalling, Nani, Anderson etc.

The last two are costing us £200k per week in wages and won't ever play a single minute for Manchester United again.

ReputationRep:
    Even a team like Chelsea suffered today without their top striker. One top striker can really make the difference.
    Exactly, we played a bit more like last seasons Chelsea, Drogba did well holding up the ball tho. We don't have the beast David Luiz to hold leads so can't park the bus.

Remy there instead of Drogba would have done more serious damage. But again we played away from home.

ReputationRep:
    I can see Can, Manquillo and Moreno as successful signings to be honest. Lallana looks alright but struggles to impose himself on the game so we have to wait and see. Not looking good for Lovren, same for Balo although we have yet to see Balo play more games with another striker so we'll see. Markovic is too raw atm, price tag however deems it a flop signing for me. Lambert is hardly given any game time so can't judge yet although he played well up front with Balotelli against Hull.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    If it's any consolation we've pissed away just as much money on Zaha, Young, Bebe, Smalling, Nani, Anderson etc.

The last two are costing us £200k per week in wages and won't ever play a single minute for Manchester United again.
    The difference is that you're Manchester United.
    That money is nothing for you in the great scheme of things.
    We've spent money that we needed to spend to make CL.
    If we fail this season, do you think we're really getting a 200m bail out?

ReputationRep:
    I can see Can, Manquillo and Moreno as successful signings to be honest. Lallana looks alright but struggles to impose himself on the game so we have to wait and see. Not looking good for Lovren, same for Balo although we have yet to see Balo play more games with another striker so we'll see. Markovic is too raw atm, price tag however deems it a flop signing for me. Lambert is hardly given any game time so can't judge yet although he played well up front with Balotelli against Hull.
    Great evaluation.
    Moreno and manquillo deserve far more credit than they're getting to be honest - they're exactly what we need and are both definite improvements on what we had.

Yeah, lallana hasn't fully settled in but you never know if he's gonna have a blinder or be totally anonymous (similar to coutinho actually).

I think Lovren is being affected by not having a good CB partner.
    Not defending him too much because he is of course responsible too but I reckon if he had a solid partner like terry or cahill, our defence would noticeably improve.

Balotelli has already been given too many chances imo.
    Rodgers has little other choice due to Sturridge's injury.
    It's still early but if he carries on as he is, he'll be up with being one of the worst signings I've ever seen our club make.

Markovic for his price tag is disappointing although it's clear we bought his future and he has barely had any game time yet anyway so we should reserve judgement.

I'm impressed by Lambert.
    He's not a world beater, he was never gonna be a big name, groundbreaking signing but he works hard and he does his job.
    I assume he'll get most/all of the cup match against Swansea.
    He was disappointing in our last cup game but I'm just praying he scores a goal to prove to rodgers that he's worth using against Newcastle.

ReputationRep:
    Moreno looks great. He just needs to bulk up a little (but not lose his pace like Insua did) but I think he can hold down LB for the next few years if his confidence/form/injuries don't ruin him.

Manquillo is still a couple of years away I think? He's built like a big unit but you can see in games that he struggles with the pace for the full 90 mins at times. He looks solid but he's more defensive of a fullback. It's good for now since Moreno bombs forward but in the future, we'd probably want a bit more from him (although he's got a decent cross on him from deep).

Can I'm not sold on yet. He's a big, powerful lad but I've not seen a dominant performance from him yet? Still would like to see him in another 5-10 games before deciding what I think. He's got the potential and on paper looks good though.

I actually like the look of Lallana. He's like a David Silva-lite. The ball just sticks to him and he's able to twist both ways (it's actually a great ability of a lot of Rodgers' signings - Sterling, Lallana, Coutinho, Sturridge all have that ability). Just needs to impose himself more in games and make that decisive contribution. The problem is that Lallana and Allen are great technical players but look like they need to be carried by the team a little? I think that's perception rather than the truth though.

Johnson and Enrique are past it now though. Hopefully Flanagan comes back stronger. He's still out for another 2 months. I do sometimes wonder if Flanagan and Manquillo are enough quality for the future. We'll need another LB too for when we let Enrique go. Least that can be a back up to Moreno.

ReputationRep:
    Looks like Luis Suarez still rules the media

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport...cist---8003220

After all is said and done, LFC could have hired a team of Latin Lawyers to handle this case.

ReputationRep:
    Forgive me if I don't have much optimism for tomorrow night

ReputationRep:
    Looks like Luis Suarez still rules the media

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport...cist---8003220

After all is said and done, LFC could have hired a team of Latin Lawyers to handle this case.
    No, Suarez is a ****wit frankly.

It doesn't matter if he used the phrase (subjectively) in a manner which was racist or not. The panel decided on an objective manner and saw that Evra did view it as racist.

LFC handled it badly? He could've just ****ing not said it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
    Forgive me if I don't have much optimism for tomorrow night
    Well we're not in great form at the moment. I imagine we'll rotate and all the fringe players will get a game..

ReputationRep:
    Moreno looks great. He just needs to bulk up a little (but not lose his pace like Insua did) but I think he can hold down LB for the next few years if his confidence/form/injuries don't ruin him.

Manquillo is still a couple of years away I think? He's built like a big unit but you can see in games that he struggles with the pace for the full 90 mins at times. He looks solid but he's more defensive of a fullback. It's good for now since Moreno bombs forward but in the future, we'd probably want a bit more from him (although he's got a decent cross on him from deep).

Can I'm not sold on yet. He's a big, powerful lad but I've not seen a dominant performance from him yet? Still would like to see him in another 5-10 games before deciding what I think. He's got the potential and on paper looks good though.

I actually like the look of Lallana. He's like a David Silva-lite. The ball just sticks to him and he's able to twist both ways (it's actually a great ability of a lot of Rodgers' signings - Sterling, Lallana, Coutinho, Sturridge all have that ability). Just needs to impose himself more in games and make that decisive contribution. The problem is that Lallana and Allen are great technical players but look like they need to be carried by the team a little? I think that's perception rather than the truth though.

Johnson and Enrique are past it now though. Hopefully Flanagan comes back stronger. He's still out for another 2 months. I do sometimes wonder if Flanagan and Manquillo are enough quality for the future. We'll need another LB too for when we let Enrique go. Least that can be a back up to Moreno.
    i agree - out of all our signings i'm most pleased with our fullbacks.
    it's a shame our defence is as bad as ever but i wouldn't put it down to manquillo/moreno; they're clear improvements on johnson/enrique.

yeah there was loads of big talk about can, like him being a powerhouse than can dominate midfield.
    the problem is we haven't really seen much to suggest so.
    however it's very early - he's barely had more than a few games for us and i'm sure he'll settle in well.

again with lallana the problem is consistency.
    we can't have another player like coutinho who may do one amazing thing then be totally anonymous for the next half hour.
    i do think lallana wil impose himself though - he was a clear, consistent presence in the southampton team last year and i think he just needs more time to replicate that here.

overall it's quite clear that we don't really have much of a clue how good some of our signings are gonna be.
    obviously opposing fans are gonna jump in saying how ineffective they have been but i won't judge any of them fully until at least after xmas.
    except balotelli, he can go back to milan....

Well we're not in great form at the moment. I imagine we'll rotate and all the fringe players will get a game..
    maybe that's what we need.
    i'm looking forward to seeing lambert get a game, even borini too.
    markovic will be interesting too - he isn't still injured is he?
    shame suso is out, i always like to see him in some of these cup games.

i'm actually looking forward to tomorrow night tbh.
    similar to arsenal going out to soton, swansea definitely aren't a bad side and it's only the league cup anyway.
    i would obviously like us to progress but it's definitely not the end of the world if not.

ReputationRep:
    Jones
    Enrique, Johnson, Lovren, Toure
    Can, Allen, Lucas
    Borini, Lambert, Markovic

That's pretty much second string?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 4, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.