Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    I have my uni obs tomorrow and I;m unbelievably nervous. I've been thinking about it all weekend. I'll be glad to get it done. I think I'm going to have to take some of my anti-anxiety meds because I'm that bad at the moment. I don't like taking them though because they make me really drowsy...
    Good luck, youll be fine just keep doing what you already are and itll all go ok x
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I have my uni obs tomorrow and I;m unbelievably nervous. I've been thinking about it all weekend. I'll be glad to get it done. I think I'm going to have to take some of my anti-anxiety meds because I'm that bad at the moment. I don't like taking them though because they make me really drowsy...
    You'll be okay. It feels worse than it is but once you're in there doing your stuff you'll forget they're even there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah as another poster said, once the lesson starts you'll forget them. You'll be too busy to think 'she's here'. You'll be fine and seeing it's your first placement, they can't expect you to be perfect.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ratchit99)
    Yeah, some of the ones for computing are starting to appear.
    It is a relief to have it done but theres that extra pressure now! Lol
    May I ask what will be your salary as NQT? Also, is it full time or part-time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    May I ask what will be your salary as NQT? Also, is it full time or part-time?
    Full time and mps1 as nqts are usually put on

ReputationRep:
    Finally got my appointment to see my mentor today; hopefully will be starting my placement after new years

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    We're doing a micro teach at uni today and I really don't fancy doing it at all. Think I got to the end of all of my observations last week and now I'm not really in the doing work kinda mood.

And I think I'm suffering with whatever my mentor had last week too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ratchit99)
    Full time and mps1 as nqts are usually put on
    Any ideas about easy is to get a part time nqt post?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    Any ideas about easy is to get a part time nqt post?
    Sadly no, I'm afraid. I imagine they occur.
    My sister in law passed her NQT part time over multiple terms but she was primary. So it's obviously possible, I assume it's just how amenable the school is to supporting the idea!

ReputationRep:
    Gah I've had an awful day. Rant alert!

My uni tutor came to see me period 1. I got to school to find an email that said to send period 1 classes for an assembly. Really annoying as I'd spent like a week fine tuning this lesson plan, only to find half the lesson would be taken off me! So my tutor and a random teacher observed half an hour of my lesson, then we had the review afterwards. At our uni we are split in to either minimum, good or high levels of meeting the teaching standards. I got minimum for all which is fine, but there were two standards where this teacher started saying he wasn't sure if I was doing that and I just thought he was being awkward. My mentor is off ill and he is filling in for her. He's seen me teach twice, so how can he possibly comment on how I am meeting these standards?

Then we were talking about SEND pupils, and I admitted that I hadn't differentiated for any of the SEN pupils in my classes as they worked fine doing the normal work, and also I had never seen my mentor differentiate for these pupils. I got majorly told off for saying that last bit, but I genuinely wasn't criticising her teaching, but as a trainee I obviously take in what I observe, so if she didn't make any special provisions, I thought they must be doing fine then and I didn't change that.

It just really annoys me how we are jumping through hoops to meet these standards and I feel that most of the teachers I've observed don't actually meet a lot of these standards anyway, and then start telling me to do things I've never seen them doing.

Anyway following this my uni tutor decided the half hour lesson wasn't enough so she asked to observe my period 3 lesson. This was a lesson I hadn't planned on her seeing so I was bit nervous, but said she could. The class were a nightmare and didn't do much work. I tried my best to manage behaviour and I feel for the stage I'm at in my PGCE, I only did what I could do. The hour after this was basically my uni tutor telling me how crap that lesson was and giving me an hours worth of criticism, even though I personally feel I reacted how any trainee would have reacted at this stage.

The whole day for me today has been criticism after criticism and I feel I have received no praise whatsoever, even though I think certain aspects of my lessons went well and I feel all this negative feedback is undeserved. Also, as a person, I need praise to keep on going. When I hear this amount of negative feedback, I just want to drop out of the course as I just don't see the point. I just feel like I'm an awful teacher now with no prospects. I thought I was making good progress but that's gone out of the window

I know this is a big rant but it's just nice to get it off my chest.

ReputationRep:
    Gah I've had an awful day. Rant alert!

My uni tutor came to see me period 1. I got to school to find an email that said to send period 1 classes for an assembly. Really annoying as I'd spent like a week fine tuning this lesson plan, only to find half the lesson would be taken off me! So my tutor and a random teacher observed half an hour of my lesson, then we had the review afterwards. At our uni we are split in to either minimum, good or high levels of meeting the teaching standards. I got minimum for all which is fine, but there were two standards where this teacher started saying he wasn't sure if I was doing that and I just thought he was being awkward. My mentor is off ill and he is filling in for her. He's seen me teach twice, so how can he possibly comment on how I am meeting these standards?

Then we were talking about SEND pupils, and I admitted that I hadn't differentiated for any of the SEN pupils in my classes as they worked fine doing the normal work, and also I had never seen my mentor differentiate for these pupils. I got majorly told off for saying that last bit, but I genuinely wasn't criticising her teaching, but as a trainee I obviously take in what I observe, so if she didn't make any special provisions, I thought they must be doing fine then and I didn't change that.

It just really annoys me how we are jumping through hoops to meet these standards and I feel that most of the teachers I've observed don't actually meet a lot of these standards anyway, and then start telling me to do things I've never seen them doing.

Anyway following this my uni tutor decided the half hour lesson wasn't enough so she asked to observe my period 3 lesson. This was a lesson I hadn't planned on her seeing so I was bit nervous, but said she could. The class were a nightmare and didn't do much work. I tried my best to manage behaviour and I feel for the stage I'm at in my PGCE, I only did what I could do. The hour after this was basically my uni tutor telling me how crap that lesson was and giving me an hours worth of criticism, even though I personally feel I reacted how any trainee would have reacted at this stage.

The whole day for me today has been criticism after criticism and I feel I have received no praise whatsoever, even though I think certain aspects of my lessons went well and I feel all this negative feedback is undeserved. Also, as a person, I need praise to keep on going. When I hear this amount of negative feedback, I just want to drop out of the course as I just don't see the point. I just feel like I'm an awful teacher now with no prospects. I thought I was making good progress but that's gone out of the window

I know this is a big rant but it's just nice to get it off my chest.
    You're right that they should be praising the positives and noting these. Like you say, not having these recognised will only make you feel rubbish and not help you improve.

The thing about your mentor not planning separate activities for SEND pupils is also perfectly reasonable, as long as you phrased it in a positive way in the context of justifying your decision... Like you say, its not appropriate to outwardly criticise your mentors practise at this stage, unless it's an issue you feel needs reporting to someone, but it seems you were actually stating it as a positive thing as you used it as a good example, assuming it was positively spoken. For the record, SEND can encompass so much, it's not always necessary to do different things for everything. As long as you can justify that you had considered their needs. I guess they wanted you to write something down so they can tick a box.

Keep strong.. You've met what you need to even with all this! Two observations in a day is tough enough, without one being unplanned with a tough behaviour class!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I had my uni OBS today, what a relief!
    Got negatives and positives in my feedback. 3 and a half days until the holidays begin, cannot wait.

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering, is anyone actually empathising with the "never felt so stressed or tired" aspect of this thread? If so, what's your background?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobble1987)
    Just wondering, is anyone actually empathising with the "never felt so stressed or tired" aspect of this thread? If so, what's your background?
    Sort of. Teaching is the most exhausting thing I've done, but not really the most stressful. It's fun though.

ReputationRep:
    I think our empathising will come more in the second placement. I'm mentally preparing myself for a tough time after Jan! But no, this placement has been more of an emotiobal challenge for me. So much self doubt and low confidence. I've been fine for time though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think our empathising will come more in the second placement. I'm mentally preparing myself for a tough time after Jan! But no, this placement has been more of an emotiobal challenge for me. So much self doubt and low confidence. I've been fine for time though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm feeling similar. Next term is going to be even worse and the real test :/

ReputationRep:
    I agree, emotional roller coaster. I have had one particularly difficult week where some things that upset me for various reasons happened and I was over tired, to the point I didn't think it was worth it anymore. However, it has been so enjoyable and rewarding and exciting and challenging, too.

I know second placement is going to be harder, but I am soo looking forward to it! (after a nice christmas break of course!)

ReputationRep:
    I am.

Very little school experience, traditional education route, 21 and I only graduated from uni in July.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samus2)
    I am.

Very little school experience, traditional education route, 21 and I only graduated from uni in July.
    Thanks for responding. Do you think it would have helped you to have a prior career?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for responding. Do you think it would have helped you to have a prior career?
    I doubt it - I worked from when I turned 16 and worked full time for a little while - Market research/retail.

Truthfully, I don't think any job/career can fully prepare you for the realities of teaching.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.