Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    Rage at how that orthopod David Nunn is now on 'gardening leave'. Admittedly, not the best way of going about it, but he had a point, and he got that across effectively in the sense that the crew left. This compares to the recent infection control lecture we got consisting of 2 nurses telling a lecture theatre of medical students how to put on a plastic aproan correctly and how to take it off so that you don't smear stuff all over yourself - this is of course what we'd been doing for a good portion of the year. Then they proceeded to read us the signs that go above isolation bays - pointing out some require gown and gloves - because we can't read? I appreciate emphasizing a message because it isn't done, but going through sceanarios of 'what colour sign would you put on the door'? just completly cemented everyones' view that infection control are patronising sods.
    I think, with what little information I have, it was probably the best thing. Sure, he had a point. But that doesn't justify going mental like he did, especially given the exceptional circumstances at the time. I'm not saying exceptions should be made for publicity promos or whatever Cameron's trying to do. But Nunn should still have behaved appropriately and not like a, imo, spoilt brat. I don't think he should be fired, but a little time away to think about what he's done and deal with any issues that might be bothering him may be just what he needs.

Having said that, I enjoyed the clip. I thought it was entertaining and it could easily be something a lot of people might do under certain conditions. But it doesn't excuse his behaviour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    I think, with what little information I have, it was probably the best thing. Sure, he had a point. But that doesn't justify going mental like he did, especially given the exceptional circumstances at the time. I'm not saying exceptions should be made for publicity promos or whatever Cameron's trying to do. But Nunn should still have behaved appropriately and not like a, imo, spoilt brat. I don't think he should be fired, but a little time away to think about what he's done and deal with any issues that might be bothering him may be just what he needs.

Having said that, I enjoyed the clip. I thought it was entertaining and it could easily be something a lot of people might do under certain conditions. But it doesn't excuse his behaviour.
    Looking at his past form (refusing to go on with an operation because he couldn't understand the foreign nurses), he knows that speaking out will result in him being put on leave, but if it results in a proper, informed discussion about the (lack of) evidence behind BBE, then I'm all for him having a rant in the direction of whatever media he can get his hands on.

My major gripe with the whole episode is that everyone is saying it was Nunn vs Cameron, which it clearly wasn't, except that when it's the media being told off, the last thing they're going to do is actually report that they were in the wrong.

ReputationRep:
    day off tomorrow! phew. did a 14 hour shift today. dying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    :eek:

Are you an F1?

I've got 2 weeks off before I have to work for my dad....
    haha nooo I'm a HCA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalis)
    blah.
    Drowning in fourth year exam revision I see - been very quiet on here recently... :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    haha nooo I'm a HCA.
    Don't you just love summer jobs? I had a 10 hour finishing at 12.30am then had to be in at 12 for a 12 hour shift last weekend. Still, two days off, woo!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicine Man)
    Drowning in fourth year exam revision I see - been very quiet on here recently... :holmes:
    Digi has left TSR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    Digi has left TSR.
    :zomg:

ReputationRep:
    :zomg:
    Blame the pre-freshers and their lack of understanding of internet manners.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Blame the pre-freshers and their lack of understanding of internet manners.
    Huh? What happened (if it can be repeated on here without getting in trouble)? Where was I when this happened?

ReputationRep:
    30+ degrees C + microbiology lectures for 4 hours + pathetic air conditioning = death. Today was tough. Anyone else had lectures at lecture theatres with air conditioning issues or no a/c at all today?

ReputationRep:
    No lectures in the last couple of days, but graduating wearing the full garb, sitting in a room for 2 hours with around 500 people was pretty sticky.

ReputationRep:
    So, erm, apparently I'm a doctor now.

Wahhaaaaaat?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ribbons)

Wahhaaaaaat?!
    Congrats Dr Ribbons!

ReputationRep:

Wahhaaaaaat?!
    COngratulations!

ReputationRep:
    Huh? What happened (if it can be repeated on here without getting in trouble)? Where was I when this happened?
    I believe some excessively keen pre-freshers TSRers had tracked him down on facebook and started emailing him directly, or something similar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    haha nooo I'm a HCA.
    Are you on a HCA bank? From what i've heard its pretty good for a summer job... How would I go about getting on it?

ReputationRep:

Wahhaaaaaat?!
    Congratulations, that's awesome When do you start?

btw if anyone hasn't seen yesterday's panorama, it's worth watching :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2klthor)
    Are you on a HCA bank? From what i've heard its pretty good for a summer job... How would I go about getting on it?
    Yeah

I got on the bank at home about 2 years ago now, I'm really lucky in that my bank at home does not require that much experience - my voluntary experience in nursing home was enough.

Then I got onto the bank in my University city too, which required lots of experience though fortunately I'd been on the bank at home for 1.5 years by then.

Google, for example "Greater Glasgow and Clyde NHS nurse bank" and the details should come up, or ring your local hospital switch board and ask to get put through.

It's a great summer job - flexible, GREAT pay, imo amazing experience to have. I only have to work one shift every 6 months at home which means the job is always waiting for me when I get back from Uni. The only downside is that you're not contracted to hours so you don't have guaranteed work, but for me this hasn't been a problem and I've been able to work as much as I want. Also, if you're good at your job, wards can request you back. At the moment 3 wards request me so if I took each one of those I'd have 4-6 shifts a week just from those wards which is a bit of a safety net. I like being able to go to different wards though and shake it up a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tech)
    Congratulations, that's awesome When do you start?

btw if anyone hasn't seen yesterday's panorama, it's worth watching :eek:
    What's it on?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.