(Original post by Clarinet)
    I'll message you, I don't want to clog up this thread with our chatting
    Haha good idea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alart)
    Thanks!
    How do you feel about the life at Univ?
    It's very good!

Everyone here is lovely, the porters and staff especially so! It's a beautiful college and has a really nice atmosphere

ReputationRep:
    By the way, I was wondering about the premises of the aptitude tests.
    All right, we all do care about the results of those tests, whatever it is, but I can confidently speak about TSA, hence that's the one I've taken.

Few applicants are confident, most are depressed, some are anxious and one or three somewhere in between.
    We assume this test is the silver and only bullet on the way to Oxford.
    The maxim : It's being used to filter applicants by assessing their ability of 'thinking'.
    And the 'thinking' is a very very abstract and undetermined concept.
    And I wonder wether there shouldn't be the explicit question mark about it?
    What are those crucial academic skills for successful study, explicitly?
    Are those tests thoroughly trustworthy to reveal academic suitability and potential of an applicant?

I'd love to hear your thoughts about the topic of aptitude tests, including BMAT, LNAT, HAT etc. nonetheless from distance latter seems different i.e. 'knowledge based'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgiaf)
    Hey I'm applying for English at Somerville too I had the same issue (it's my A2 coursework first draft which will be 3000 words eventually) so I just cut out a paragraph leaving it about 100 words over. Got round that obstacle by saying it was 1956 words excluding title and quotes! Idk if that's legit but I'm giving it a go :P Good luck with your applications
    You too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ziggyystardust)
    I just realised that we've had a similar convo on another thread haha...but again congrats on your offers!
    I've applied to Durham, St Andrews, UCL and Exeter. I've only heard back from Exeter so far (offer)
    Haha just realised that too :blush: best of luck with your applications

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I'm part of a group of students working on outreach at Oxford, there are 6 of us this year, studying - Philosophy & Spanish, German, Law, Biomedical Sciences, Physics and CAAH. So feel free to shoot any questions you may have! The project is called Oxvlog (fb, youtube...) if you'd like to check it out, it may be helpful. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oxvlog)
    Hey guys,

I'm part of a group of students working on outreach at Oxford, there are 6 of us this year, studying - Philosophy & Spanish, German, Law, Biomedical Sciences, Physics and CAAH. So feel free to shoot any questions you may have! The project is called Oxvlog (fb, youtube...) if you'd like to check it out, it may be helpful. Good luck!
    Hi, do you happen to know if I re-use my same exact personal statement next year whether oxford would know it is the exact same one? Do they keep track of all applicants and know whether someone is applying for the university a second time round-and perhaps why they didn't get offered a place the first time?

ReputationRep:
    Can someone help me quickly?!

I am a gap year student and as a result I do not have a lot of options to send for the written work to Oxford. (English Lit). I called the college I am applying to and they said I could submit my coursework if I cut it down to 2000 words, summarise what is not there and they know it will not be a marked version. so 1) Is this a disadvantage, the work not having markings and 2) (My main question) Can I just take out a section of the middle of the essay and summarise that? Or did they mean you can only take off 1000 words off the beginning or 1000 words straight off the end and summarise what is missing? Because the bit I want to take out is two sections from the middle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucilou101)
    It's very good!

Everyone here is lovely, the porters and staff especially so! It's a beautiful college and has a really nice atmosphere
    Thanks for letting me know! Not sure if I can get an interview though Now is a long waiting game...:afraid:

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Hello,
    I'd love to hear from you about the relevance of aptitude tests and actual study process.

here is my complete post with more details about the question from previous page:
    (Original post by Cupitor)
    All right, we all do care about the results of those tests, whatever it is, but I can confidently speak about TSA, hence that's the one I've taken.

Few applicants are confident, most are depressed, some are anxious and one or three somewhere in between.
    The maxim : It's being used to filter applicants by assessing their ability of 'thinking'.
    Are those tests thoroughly trustworthy to reveal academic suitability and potential of an applicant?

I'd love to hear your thoughts about the topic of aptitude tests, including BMAT, LNAT, HAT etc. nonetheless from distance latter seems different i.e. 'knowledge based'.
    Thank you in advance.

ReputationRep:
    anyone apply to Lady Margaret Hall for Law?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by personalpronoun)
    Hi, do you happen to know if I re-use my same exact personal statement next year whether oxford would know it is the exact same one? Do they keep track of all applicants and know whether someone is applying for the university a second time round-and perhaps why they didn't get offered a place the first time?
    Hi, I'm not sure about this one! However, I think you should change your personal statement just to make sure that it doesn't pop up on any of the UCAS or Oxford plagiarism radars, because that would be really hard to deal with! Definitely change a few things!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm not sure about this one! However, I think you should change your personal statement just to make sure that it doesn't pop up on any of the UCAS or Oxford plagiarism radars, because that would be really hard to deal with! Definitely change a few things!
    Hi do you know the answer to this?

I am a gap year student and as a result I do not have a lot of options to send for the written work to Oxford. (English Lit). I called the college I am applying to and they said I could submit my coursework if I cut it down to 2000 words, summarise what is not there and they know it will not be a marked version. so 1) Is this a disadvantage, the work not having markings and 2) (My main question) Can I just take out a section of the middle of the essay and summarise that? Or did they mean you can only take off 1000 words off the beginning or 1000 words straight off the end and summarise what is missing? Because the bit I want to take out is two sections from the middle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoveToArgue)
    yep, law. hbu?
    Yay! Med

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cupitor)

The TSA is definitely being used as a filter for interviews. Used this way it does not have to be a perfect indicator of how applicants would perform at Oxford because they select around three applicants for every place offered . Typically this means that two applicants get rejected and three get through at this stage. The next stage is much harder - two more must get rejected and only one gets through.

It is not clear how much the test is used to decide offers. The other applicant details definitely come into play. Also, they would not have interviews if they were not considered necessary. They are time-consuming and expensive for the colleges to run. However much we would like to discount them they must be of value in the selection process.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notyous)
    I have! I've literally seen no one else that's applied! what subject?
    Univ here too!! For med Univ seems like a really friendly college, I reaaaaaallly hope I get in. Tbh any college would be alg, as long as I get in

ReputationRep:
    Hi all -- sorry if you've seen me post this earlier tonight but I'm in a bit of a panic.
    For our submission of written work, do we need to send in a copy that literally has markings and comments from the teacher on the paper, or do we just send in something that has been assigned in class, along with the cover sheet? Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who successfully got into that college for Law last year. She applied open and got allocated though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misstac)
    Hey, how did you find the BMAT? I'm applying to St John's
    A little bit disastrous as I panicked in Section 1!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emem2011)
    Is anyone else feeling really deflated after their admissions test?
    I sat the BMAT and at first I was ok because I knew I hadn't done well, although now i'm really disappointed because I love Oxford and I know I stand no chance for Medicine. Oxford is the only BMAT university I applied to because I knew it was a risk to apply to more than one, and it was always going to be Oxford.

I think the thing with BMAT in particular this year was that there was so much reading to do, which took up an awful lot of time. As a result, I ran out of time to properly consider some of my answers. There were also a few questions that I think could have been debated over. I've read lots of people discussing the question about whether black or white clothing would be better in the winter. I spent a while deliberating over this, as black would absorb any heat that was available although white may reflect body heat back in. I went for black in the end, although lots of people went for white and I can see both sides of the argument. I'm really disappointed because I think some of the questions in BMAT don't give you the chance to explain your choice, using this one as an example. I've also presented it to quite a few different people who sat the BMAT who know lots about physics, and they even said it could be argued both ways.

I'm a person who really enjoys learning and so I know the Medicine course would have been really interesting to me as it's so academic and science-based, although it's literally hit me this weekend that I definitely have no chance now!

Does anyone else feel this way, whether you sat the BMAT or another admissions test?
    I was fine when I just finished the PAT, but rn I'm feeling a bit paranoid about the outcome (aka the Waiting Game) bc of the shortlist % and that alone is exhausting
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Good to know that I'm not the only one feeling this :console:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.