Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    i agree - out of all our signings i'm most pleased with our fullbacks.
    it's a shame our defence is as bad as ever but i wouldn't put it down to manquillo/moreno; they're clear improvements on johnson/enrique.

yeah there was loads of big talk about can, like him being a powerhouse than can dominate midfield.
    the problem is we haven't really seen much to suggest so.
    however it's very early - he's barely had more than a few games for us and i'm sure he'll settle in well.

again with lallana the problem is consistency.
    we can't have another player like coutinho who may do one amazing thing then be totally anonymous for the next half hour.
    i do think lallana wil impose himself though - he was a clear, consistent presence in the southampton team last year and i think he just needs more time to replicate that here.

overall it's quite clear that we don't really have much of a clue how good some of our signings are gonna be.
    obviously opposing fans are gonna jump in saying how ineffective they have been but i won't judge any of them fully until at least after xmas.
    except balotelli, he can go back to milan....
    Well I'm delighted with Moreno over Enrique. Johnson has been average to poor but I don't think Manquillo has been that great. He's been solid at best (which isn't working when the rest of the defence are making so many mistakes).

Well Can had all those injuries for quite a while. I do sometimes wonder if Gerrard playing puts pressure on the CBs and his CM partner?

We have too many players who want to play centrally now - Coutinho, Sterling, Henderson, Lallana etc.

Well we saw people jump the gun and judge Henderson very quickly but a few people thought he would come good.

If Balotelli managed to get a hattrick, I think we'd see a different player for a few games. You can see that his confidence has taken a hit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Jones
    Enrique, Johnson, Lovren, Toure
    Can, Allen, Lucas
    Borini, Lambert, Markovic

That's pretty much second string?
    pretty much what i'd be thinking.
    i would never pair skrtel and toure together but one of lovren/skrtel should sit this one out.

we'd probably struggle really bad with that team in terms of creativity
    i'd consider playing coutinho and henderson since they only got a half hour in the hull game.
    i'd like to see brendan experiment too - maybe play borini and lambert up top in a partnership.

Well I'm delighted with Moreno over Enrique. Johnson has been average to poor but I don't think Manquillo has been that great. He's been solid at best (which isn't working when the rest of the defence are making so many mistakes).

Well Can had all those injuries for quite a while. I do sometimes wonder if Gerrard playing puts pressure on the CBs and his CM partner?

We have too many players who want to play centrally now - Coutinho, Sterling, Henderson, Lallana etc.

Well we saw people jump the gun and judge Henderson very quickly but a few people thought he would come good.

If Balotelli managed to get a hattrick, I think we'd see a different player for a few games. You can see that his confidence has taken a hit.
    admittedly johnson hasn't been THAT bad considering what we expect from him.
    manquillo isn't groundbreaking but he's definitely a higher level than johnson and i'd surely sign him even if just as a back up for a new RB that we could bring in over the summer.

gerrard is a shame.
    he clearly doesn't have the defensive capabilities (primarily mobility wise) to shield our defence and other teams are pressing high to him too which limits his distribution.
    rodgers should think more about playing him further forward and taking him off in the second half.
    gerrard may be slow but he has composure and creativity; something we're really lacking right now going forward.

when we bought henderson i was disappointed more in the price than anything else but looking at him now, his progression has been bloody outstanding.

oh yes, without doubt balotelli is a confidence player but we gotta weigh up if it's worth it.
    think about how many chances he's had to impress, how many sitters he has had.
    it just isn't happening for him and i'm getting fed up with him costing us points.

ReputationRep:
    Lol Christian Purslow has been appointed at Chelsea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    i'd like to see brendan experiment too - maybe play borini and lambert up top in a partnership.
    I would definitely like to see a Lambert and Borini partnership tomorrow. Whilst they both lack a little bit of quality and influence in a game, I do think they would be well suited to each other and could a better bet than a misfiring Balotelli. I'm not completely sure Borini is fit though? He's not been on the bench for the last 2 or 3 games, but that might just be because BR wants an extra midfielder on the bench and feels Lambert is more likely to have an impact from the bench than Borini.

I do think the diamond is over-rated and last season we played better with a 4-3-3 and we only used a diamond in order to get Suarez and Sturridge in the best possible positions. However, it is obvious none of our three back-up strikers is good enough or can have enough influence in a game to play as a lone striker. Every time we have gone to a diamond this season, we have started to play much better and I would like to see us starting with it until Sturridge is back.

Unfortunately it means players like Lallana and/or Coutinho dropping to the bench and Markovic getting absolutely no game time at all but I think it's for the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cBay)
    I would definitely like to see a Lambert and Borini partnership tomorrow. Whilst they both lack a little bit of quality and influence in a game, I do think they would be well suited to each other and could a better bet than a misfiring Balotelli. I'm not completely sure Borini is fit though? He's not been on the bench for the last 2 or 3 games, but that might just be because BR wants an extra midfielder on the bench and feels Lambert is more likely to have an impact from the bench than Borini.

I do think the diamond is over-rated and last season we played better with a 4-3-3 and we only used a diamond in order to get Suarez and Sturridge in the best possible positions. However, it is obvious none of our three back-up strikers is good enough or can have enough influence in a game to play as a lone striker. Every time we have gone to a diamond this season, we have started to play much better and I would like to see us starting with it until Sturridge is back.

Unfortunately it means players like Lallana and/or Coutinho dropping to the bench and Markovic getting absolutely no game time at all but I think it's for the best.
    well so far, playing a single striker up top has been hilariously ineffective and i don't know why rodgers persists.
    lambert in particular plays off other players really well, holding the ball up and putting them through.
    lambert and sturridge would actually be an interesting partnership (although i don't see that happening).

i haven't heard any injury/ lack of fitness news on borini so i would expect him to play tomorrow.
    diamond is definitely our best formation for the team we have.
    it's clear that our problem right now isn't just creating chances, it's finishing them off.
    we need to get our strikers playing in a system where they feel confident; we need to make it optimal for them and build around that because quite simply goals are what we need; we just aren't scoring enough.

i think for now with sturridge out and us struggling with strikers, some players' game time will have to be sacrificed
    i fully expect markovic to be limited and we've already seen coutinho being left out of the starting 11 pretty often.

ReputationRep:
    Tomorrow I'm seeing:

Jones
    Johnson Skrtel Toure Enrique
    Can
    Allen Rossiter
    Markovic
    Borini Lambert

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
    Tomorrow I'm seeing:

Jones
    Johnson Skrtel Toure Enrique
    Can
    Allen Rossiter
    Markovic
    Borini Lambert

i must admit i completely forgot we had rossiter.
    given his performance in his last match, he deserves another go really.
    gonna be watching can and markovic closely and especially borini/lambert pairing if rodgers does what we hope up front.

ReputationRep:
    So we lost to Aston Villa who lost to QPR last night..

ReputationRep:
    Barcelona 1-2 Liverpool

ReputationRep:
    So we lost to Aston Villa who lost to QPR last night..
    I Read on twitter Villa have lost all their games since they plated us and haven't even scored a goal...

ReputationRep:
    People seem to have lost faith in Balotelli pretty quickly. He really hasn't performed and he has missed a few sitters but just give him a bit more time. He has always said throughout his career that he is not a lone striker and he needs someone up there with him to create space. When Sturridge is back (assuming Rodgers goes back to the diamond) he will have Sturridge with him creating space and Sterling just behind him which takes the midfielders away from him. For as long as Sturridge is injured, I would probably drop Balotelli and whilst it is fair to judge him as a lone striker, don't judge him altogether. When Sturridge is back give him another chance and I think you might be surprised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex Doran)
    People seem to have lost faith in Balotelli pretty quickly. He really hasn't performed and he has missed a few sitters but just give him a bit more time. He has always said throughout his career that he is not a lone striker and he needs someone up there with him to create space. When Sturridge is back (assuming Rodgers goes back to the diamond) he will have Sturridge with him creating space and Sterling just behind him which takes the midfielders away from him. For as long as Sturridge is injured, I would probably drop Balotelli and whilst it is fair to judge him as a lone striker, don't judge him altogether. When Sturridge is back give him another chance and I think you might be surprised.
    The problem with him is his unreliability. He's obviously missed some sitters, but I don't think anyone doubts he's got ability. It's just that he rarely manages to put that ability too good use.

ReputationRep:
    I think Samed Yeşil should be given a shot, he can't do any worse than what we already have.

EDIT: Or even Sinclair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPBScotland)
    The problem with him is his unreliability. He's obviously missed some sitters, but I don't think anyone doubts he's got ability. It's just that he rarely manages to put that ability too good use.
    I find it unfair to scapegoat him on the dire performance of the entire team collectively. When he swapped his shirt with Pepe, it simply wasn't on but that incident is independent of his performance as a football player. If he was a massive **** but was scoring a goal every 100 minutes, nobody would be complaining but if he was struggling to make an impact and he was a massive ****, suddenly he's the reason we're playing such terrible football. Remind you of anyone - Ibra, Suarez for eg.

When Sturridge comes back, I'm pretty sure we won't miraculously become a top-4 team. Balotelli misfiring isn't the reason we're not in the top-4, he is merely one of the reasons we're not a top-4 side.

ReputationRep:
    I think the Balotelli criticism is a bit OTT, despite me thinking he's the most overrated player in the world. He's a one in 3 or 4 kinda guy. Even at AC Milan, most of his goals were penalties and he put in some pathetic games at times.

Anyway, like I said, don't blame him for everything. Liverpool in general are a bit rubbish at the moment. Need to get 2 or 3 wins together. Alot of sides are struggling this year.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Yeah balotellis a bit **** but the team in general is ****ter.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I slightly confused. Why do SkySports think anybody would rather watch Chelsea play than us? Someones going to get fired for that ****-up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cBay)
    I slightly confused. Why do SkySports think anybody would rather watch Chelsea play than us? Someones going to get fired for that ****-up.
    Problem is Liverpool got tie of last round. In theory this should have been the televised game though. But i guess it's good for the lower clubs and money they get. Looking forward to the game :beard:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cBay)
    Support your local team.

Don't deprive a small club like Shrews a chance for some extra cash through a TV tie.

Unreal.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by cBay)
    Lower league club at home to top half Premier League club is always first pick for TV coverage. Everyone loves an underdog story.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 4, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.