The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HCAssistant93
Being a radiographer is obviously very different that a doctor. I wouldn't say that medicine is a back up to radiography or the Latter being a stepping stone for the other. Medicine is a huge commitment and is a commitment to life long learning so is really have a serious think about what it is you want from a career decision

Posted from TSR Mobile

Considering the advanced practice scheme being introduced by the NHS. Radiographers are now being trained to interpret and comment on images, especially consultant radiographers. So a Radiographer is not "very" different to a radiologist (doctor), which is what I would like to specilise in. A stereotypical difference is that a radiologist interprets images, produces reports and performs angiography/procedres, whereas a radiographer is known to only take x-rays.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by DoeADeer
For those who had their King's interview yesterday, how did it go? I have mine on Monday and the nerves are kicking in already haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mine's on Monday too!

How are you preparing? Other unis outline key qualities or attributes they're looking for, so at least it's somewhere to start - King's give away absolutely nothing!
Original post by sampowell92
Mine's on Monday too!

How are you preparing? Other unis outline key qualities or attributes they're looking for, so at least it's somewhere to start - King's give away absolutely nothing!

I'm gonna go through the isc interview book and look online at mmi questions haha. Not really helpful sorry. I think they really look at communication skills and that's what I'm most worried about haha. I may need a bit of time to think before giving an answer and end up look like an idiot.
Original post by HCAssistant93
I'd just like to counter that and say it depends on what you already know and if you're good at taking exams. It's also dependent on the way others perform in that sitting as its a scaled score.

I don't know many people who have done well in it with a few months prep. So that's not to say you couldn't do well in March.

The thing with March is that you get the result in May and can either apply with that score or resist it. I know a lot of people in March when I sat it were resitters. Most people in fact.

I agree with the above that it may be good to do it once to get a feel for he paper and the day, because it is long. That depends if you can afford to sit it and afford accommodation and travel to London.

Alternatively you could start studying now for September and do small amounts to build yourself up.

I did it September 2014 did terribly as I had only 6-8 weeks to cram and I got stressed. I got 46 so got straight rejections. In March I had more time to prepare and started in December. I got 55. It is great but it's got me an interview at Liverpool. It's a massive improvement from my first score though which is what is important and proof that for me I needed time. I also think that familiarity with the paper helped tremendously.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats on the improved score and the interview.

Totally agree which is why I wouldn't recommend this approach. Agree about getting a feel for the day. Thought about it and its difficult to replicate at home. The stress of getting there, the length of the day, the other applicants (hundreds of people, imagine queueing for over an hour to get in, then sitting in the hall with noting to do but stress for 30-60 minutes and then starting the first paper:lol:).

But yeah, if you have money to burn and can take a day off work/university, sitting it March could be great idea.
Original post by Jimib5863
Considering the advanced practice scheme being introduced by the NHS. Radiographers are now being trained to interpret and comment on images, especially consultant radiographers. So a Radiographer is not "very" different to a radiologist (doctor), which is what I would like to specilise in. A stereotypical difference is that a radiologist interprets images, produces reports and performs angiography/procedres, whereas a radiographer is known to only take x-rays.

I think what people are saying is you need to do your research and unanimously the advice on here is to do a levels instead. But good luck with your decision

Posted from TSR Mobile
hello!
i'm no where nearing doing grad medicine right now, im in my last year of A-Levels, and hopefully starting a Biomedical Science Degree at Birmingham University in October 2016, but I would love some tips and stuff to help prepare myself for grad medicine when I do apply.
I'd like to have a really strong application so is there anything you suggest that I do whilst studying at uni? I don't want to start anything up until I finish my A-levels, as I need to focus on getting the grades right now
i've had some advice such as weekly volunteering and maybe even having a part time job with something to do with caring people/medicine related but i'd love to hear other stuff so I can start preparing during the summer holidays.
Also i've had a few people tell me that I should do the UKCAT each year till I actually need to do it, is that a good idea? something you'd wished you'd done if you hadn't done it?
thank you so so much i'm really looking forward to hearing from you all
:smile:
Original post by xoharrypotter
hello!
i'm no where nearing doing grad medicine right now, im in my last year of A-Levels, and hopefully starting a Biomedical Science Degree at Birmingham University in October 2016, but I would love some tips and stuff to help prepare myself for grad medicine when I do apply.
I'd like to have a really strong application so is there anything you suggest that I do whilst studying at uni? I don't want to start anything up until I finish my A-levels, as I need to focus on getting the grades right now
i've had some advice such as weekly volunteering and maybe even having a part time job with something to do with caring people/medicine related but i'd love to hear other stuff so I can start preparing during the summer holidays.
Also i've had a few people tell me that I should do the UKCAT each year till I actually need to do it, is that a good idea? something you'd wished you'd done if you hadn't done it?

This begs a huge question, which is: do you seriously intend to complete an entire biomed degree, which you will then chuck over in order to do graduate medicine? Because that seems an, err, circuitous route to go take.
hello!

Just gunna put it out there but I don't think grad med will be around In 3/4 years time. I guess it is too late now but I will ask anyway, why boimed then medicine and not just medicine from a level. Why do a first degree to throw it away really?

As for UKCAT, if you have the funds to do it every year then I don't think that is a bad idea. The more times you do it the better you get, in general, and you'll be very familiar with the way it's done.

Posted from TSR Mobile
hello!

Hi,

Biomedicine will really help you when starting a degree in Grad Med (saying that it still exists). I would pick a volunteering job somewhere where you can observe a medical setting to draw on examples on how you have developed working in a team, communicating well etc. Regularly read medical journals or medical news.
I am not sure about the UKCAT - I took it once - I just made sure to study beforehand - but I am not one of the people who got 800+, so better ask them.

Bare in mind though that Grad Entry is more competitive than normal entry medicine, so think carefully (I am not sure about your reason for choosing this route - it might be suitable). If it is about your GCSE grades than make sure you look at grad entry requirement as I think some of them look at your GCSEs unfortunately. If I had to go back in time, I would still choose this route as I do not see my first degree as time wasted and I know that I made the right decision, but it depends on your individual situation and circumstance.

You can PM me if you need more help and advice and good luck with it all! :smile:
hello!

I definitely wouldn't recommend intentionally doing another degree then doing GEM. Personally, I regret not quitting my degree when I realised it wasn't for me and that I wanted to do medicine. I could've got in to medical school relatively easily then compared to now as a graduate. If you don't want to volunteer now, that's fine, but how do you know you'll want to in your final year at uni (which is when it's going to matter, as that'll be when you apply)? You would be much better off taking a gap year now and doing some voluntary / care work for a year, and apply for a 5 year course.

Also, realistically I think you need to think about the likelihood of there actually being GEM courses by the time you've graduated. Last year saw the closure of one course, this year has seen the closure of Bristol's. With potential changes in EU legislation on medical tuition, it's unlikely there will be a graduate entry medicine route in the future. (In my opinion!)
Original post by Alexdaman93

Also, realistically I think you need to think about the likelihood of there actually being GEM courses by the time you've graduated. Last year saw the closure of one course, this year has seen the closure of Bristol's. With potential changes in EU legislation on medical tuition, it's unlikely there will be a graduate entry medicine route in the future. (In my opinion!)

This will be the reality - Grad Medicine is being rapidly phased out. However, another important point is that most Med Schools will NOT consider you for A100 if you have started but not finished/in final year of another degree.
Original post by GraduateMedLyf
I got 697.5 on my UKCAT and have a 1st but am still yet to hear from Barts!! Utterly perplexed by their admissions process. Harboring a secret hope that they'll be giving out more interviews as they haven't actually rejected me yet but getting less optimistic by the day haha

Hopefully! I've got my fingers crossed for you!
Original post by returnmigrant
This will be the reality - Grad Medicine is being rapidly phased out. However, another important point is that most Med Schools will NOT consider you for A100 if you have started but not finished/in final year of another degree.

Maybe I'm the only one who thinks this won't be the case. A lot of other comparable countries are moving towards graduate only or graduate majority entry. With more complexity in medicine this seems to make sense.

The EU total hours restriction could be easily circumvented as the first year of a medical degree is just one pre-clinical year of about 30 weeks. It wouldn't be beyond the wit of man to require minimum hours of volunteering in a medical setting and an entrance exam that takes an equivalent amount of study time in order to get into a graduate entry course and counting this towards training time.
Original post by CharlieGEM
Maybe I'm the only one who thinks this won't be the case. A lot of other comparable countries are moving towards graduate only or graduate majority entry. With more complexity in medicine this seems to make sense.

The EU total hours restriction could be easily circumvented as the first year of a medical degree is just one pre-clinical year of about 30 weeks. It wouldn't be beyond the wit of man to require minimum hours of volunteering in a medical setting and an entrance exam that takes an equivalent amount of study time in order to get into a graduate entry course and counting this towards training time.

I think the problem is that F1 is included in the training hours at present and the Shape of Training review is pushing for full registration to be moved to the point of graduation. Graduate entry courses will still be valid as they widen participation and give an additional breadth of knowledge to those professionals but it may be that they aren't as accelerated- such as Imperial and UCL.

The worry for me would be that the loan system doesn't evolve quickly enough to allow graduates to move on to medicine. I do see NHS funding drying up completely with regard to university education. It's already being pulled for allied professionals, it won't be long before medicine and dentistry follow.
Hey, has anyone heard anything back from Birmingham Uni for GEM? It says on their website that interviews are held in January, and it's getting pretty late if we need to prepare :/
Thanks.
For those who have done the gamsat roughly how much time did you need to prepare? I'm thinking of sitting the March one but not sure if there is enough time left, and also what revision materials would you recommend? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pharma21
For those who have done the gamsat roughly how much time did you need to prepare? I'm thinking of sitting the March one but not sure if there is enough time left, and also what revision materials would you recommend? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know people who studied for a year, people who studied for 6 months and some who did it for 2-3 months. There is no definitive answer. If you have a science degree then for the next two months work on essays and write loads. Practice all the gamsat papers and practice timing it as the biggest restriction for section 3 typically.

I improved my score massively from having 6 weeks revision with a full time job, to revising for 3 months and not cramming and also knowing what to expect second time round.

If you're going to do it, start now and fully commit. If you have the funds to do it twice then I would do it this March and then in September if you need to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GracieRose94
Hey, has anyone heard anything back from Birmingham Uni for GEM? It says on their website that interviews are held in January, and it's getting pretty late if we need to prepare :/
Thanks.

I have an Interview on Monday and I found out late November / first week of December can't remember when. Graduates are Interviewed next week Monday Tuesday and Wednesday . I know they have more in February but I'm not sure it's for grads. Sorry if it's bad news :frown:
Original post by Catherine1193
I have an Interview on Monday and I found out late November / first week of December can't remember when. Graduates are Interviewed next week Monday Tuesday and Wednesday . I know they have more in February but I'm not sure it's for grads. Sorry if it's bad news :frown:

I've got an interview for GEM at Birmingham on the 19th Jan
Original post by ThomasPassion
This begs a huge question, which is: do you seriously intend to complete an entire biomed degree, which you will then chuck over in order to do graduate medicine? Because that seems an, err, circuitous route to go take.

i dont have the right GCSE grades nor the correct AS grades for undergraduate entry 😔
if i could I really wouldn't have done a degree in biomedical science but i really want to become a doctor so its the only way I can see right now
I do know that there are courses such as bradford and leicester where I can do 1 year and then transfer if I get the grades and pass the interview but the big question is what if i dont get a space i'd have wasted a whole year so i'd much rather do grad med if its still around! warwick are a grad med only medical school so i reckon they wont change?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending