The Ultimate Football Thread IV Watch

This discussion is closed.
Lucy :)
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Thoughts on the Prem's weekend action:

Villa: Thought they were magnificent for much of the game. Posed a shaky Arsenal a lot of problems. I like what O'Neill has done in terms of changing Young's position from the left wing to the right. It's freed up Agbo' to partner Carew up front (which works well) and allowed Maloney to operate on the left. I think he's a great little player. Full of invention. They were good value for their lead, but a draw was probably a fair result based on chances. Awesome away record for Villa this season. I hope it counts for something come the end of the campaign because they've a sound English basis of players which I like to see. Shame Davis is ****ed now....thought Villa only have him on loan so if it's really bad....they can send him back to West Brom~!

Arsenal: Decent point for them after being behind for so long. Not a great result, but no disgrace and they keep their lead. What's noticable though is that they have simply not been the same since Man Utd handed them that drubbing a little while ago. No win in four games now, and to be fair, they've not really deserved to win any either. Not playing too well atm, but at least they're still in the hunt. Walcott looks to be growing in confidence, but they're short up front. I think that, even with his form improving, if they're going to win anything this season, they need an on-form and fit Van Persie in the team.

Spurs / Brum - Awful performance from Spurs yesterday, and against a team which has something to play for, that was always going to happen. I thought that Birmingham were terrific, and very motivated. McFadden is a great player, and Forsell's always been a good poacher of goals. Great time for them to catch Tottenham, but they still needed to do the business, and did in emphatic style.

---

Massive win for Reading, who were in freefall. Awful games at Eastlands and Pride Park respectively. No comment on either.
good mermington
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Lucy :))
T Shame Davis is ****ed now....thought Villa only have him on loan so if it's really bad....they can send him back to West Brom~!
as far as I'm aware it's a stop-gap loan deal with a permanent move scheduled for the end of the season, in the region of £10m. These sorts of deals seem to be more and more common recently
kpg
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Klinsmannic)
Collina was a one in a million, but there are other decent refs on the continent...certainly better than some of the clowns we have over here. Foreign competition could be a big step in the right direction in terms of improving what we have, but as you point out attracting new refs for the future is key.

I don't think you need to be born a ref, you just need to be reasonably bright with a bit of mental toughness. A referee should be someone with a cool head under pressure, leadership skills, strength of character, and a knowledge of rules and regulations, but also with an ability to be pragmatic (i.e. applying common sense). There are many thousands of entrepreneurs, teachers, store managers, lawyers, bankers, clerks, accountants etc etc with all these skills and some. I think it's just a matter of opening up this cartel or old boys club it appears to be. Perhaps even targeting more strong women into the game. Some ex-lower league players (particularly former captains) should also have some kind of direct route into ref training courses, after all everyone complains that refs have never played the game so this could kill two birds with one stone.
From what I've seen I think the standard of refereeing is pretty much the same across Europe. I havent seen much of Serie A this season but La Liga seems quite similar to England in terms of the officials.
Rafa
Report 11 years ago
Cheers for that Lucy :yy:
Ronaldo VII
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Tim Cahill gives Everton a deserved lead against Portsmouth, 15 minutes to go
Weezy F
Report 11 years ago

Arsenal: Decent point for them after being behind for so long. Not a great result, but no disgrace and they keep their lead. What's noticable though is that they have simply not been the same since Man Utd handed them that drubbing a little while ago. No win in four games now, and to be fair, they've not really deserved to win any either. Not playing too well atm, but at least they're still in the hunt. Walcott looks to be growing in confidence, but they're short up front. I think that, even with his form improving, if they're going to win anything this season, they need an on-form and fit Van Persie in the team.
Rubbish. we deserved to beat both Milan and Birmingham. But we threw it away.
Ronaldo VII
Rep:
?
So a team who defends well all game but were under pressure for the majority, dont deserve a point? Attacking teams don't deserve a win for trying if they can't score.
Ronaldo VII
Rep:
?
Fantastic goal from Yakubu wraps up the game. 3-1 to Everton, James hasn't had a chance with any of them.
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
2 Arsenal fans I've been in trouble with now :o:rolleyes:
Weezy F
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Ronaldo VII)
So a team who defends well all game but were under pressure for the majority, dont deserve a point? Attacking teams don't deserve a win for trying if they can't score.
You can't look at it that way. On the night, we were better than Milan, simple as ABC. Hence we deserve to win. Yes they defended well, but that does not rule out the fact that we were better than them, in nearly all areas, hence we deserve to win. I don't see why your arguing. Unless you think Milan were just as good as us on the night, which is a whole new debate, and one that is not even worth arguing about.
Ronaldo VII
Rep:
?
Their defending was better than your attacking, hence me thinking they deserved something from the game.

You don't deserve 3 points from any game for turning up and passing your way up the pitch. I believe you get what you deserve in football.
Ronaldo VII
Rep:
?
Full time;

Everton 3-1 Porstmouth

2 for Yakubu, 1 for Cahill & 1 for Defoe.
Weezy F
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Ronaldo VII)
Their defending was better than your attacking, hence me thinking they deserved something from the game.
We were much better than them on the whole, hence we deserve to win. If you want to look at it in your way, then i could jut say, our defense was by far better than there attack( which was abysmal), hence overall again we deserve to win. It's really sad that you can't appreciate that we deserve to win, common, credit where credit is due?
Overmars
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
2 Arsenal fans I've been in trouble with now :o:rolleyes:
Well it's fine to have your opinion. This time, I have nothing against your comment (unlike the niave one about Gallas) even though I don't agree with it. If you don't think Arsenal deserved 3 points against Birmingham and Milan, that's fine. I think you'd be in the minority though.
Economist
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
This 'deserve' business is a funny area. We deserved to beat Brum because we were robbed by the ref. Hard to say we deserved to beat Milan or Villa because we didnt outscore them but yes we were the better team in both matches.
Overmars
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Economist)
This 'deserve' business is a funny area. We deserved to beat Brum because we were robbed by the ref. Hard to say we deserved to beat Milan or Villa because we didnt outscore them but yes we were the better team in both matches.
That's fair, certainly.
Clubber Lang
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Synergetic)
That's fair, certainly.
Most sense he's ever spouted
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It wasn't me

Just because you called me a clown and disagreed with me oh no :bawling: I wouldn't neg you for that the sexist guy the other day didn't get to me was a bit of a **** but.

I know I don't know much about football as probably most of the guys on here but.
Economist
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Clubber Lang)
Most sense he's ever spouted
Thanks Barry
good mermington
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Economist)
As far as I'm concerned you deserve what you get. If you can't break down a team's defence you don't "deserve" to win. If you have 100 shots on goal and hit them all wide, I don't reckon you deserve to win the game.

Fair enough if you get a dodgy decision against you that turns the game but apart from that sort of stuff I always say the team that wins is the one who deserved to win it. Playing well / having a lot of possession doesn't = deserving to win in my eyes.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (130)
18.21%
It's just nice to be back! (194)
27.17%
Not great so far... (256)
35.85%
I want to drop out! (134)
18.77%

Watched Threads