• View Poll Results: Favourite Doctor?
    Christopher Eccleston
    8.20%
    David Tennant
    59.71%
    Matt Smith
    32.09%

ReputationRep:
    Jesus Frankenstein has got a role in acting.....under the guise of Matt Smith

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eccentric)
    Jesus Frankenstein has got a role in acting.....under the guise of Matt Smith
    well Frankenstein was a very intelligent man :yes:

I quite enjoyed that, and am looking forwards to Matt :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    A good send off for Tennant, the best Doctor. I rarely shed a tear while watching TV, but my eyes were watering ever so slightly at "I don't want to go..."
    It looks like Matt Smith is going to bring something radically different to the role, and I for one can't wait. The 30 seconds or so we saw him for tonight raised my confidence that DT has handed over the reigns to a worthy successor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    The end was one huge mess that needed to be quarter of an hour shorter. I also thought we might finally get an RTD episode without a single reference to homosexuality, but lo and behold Jack just has to chat up the [rather randomly placed] Alonso at the end. In the first season when Captain Jack was remotely interesting, it was refreshing to an extent. Second season it got a bit tired, third season it just became blatantly obvious that RTD had his own agenda on the whole LGBT front. I don't have anything against LGBT folks [my best friend is bi], but four years of constant, pointless references does tend to fray my nerves a bit.

Hopefully Moffat and Smith breathe new life into the series.
    And how many references to heterosexuality has he made? :rolleyes:
    I barely even notice his references to homosexuality, but that might be because I don't care. I can't think of any examples of references to it, but I'll take your word for it that he's used some in the past.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sephiroth)
    And how many references to heterosexuality has he made? :rolleyes:
    I barely even notice his references to homosexuality, but that might be because I don't care. I can't think of any examples of references to it, but I'll take your word for it that he's used some in the past.
    Well said. I'm sure there are far more references to heterosexual relationships but I don't care about that either so can't think of any examples of the top of my head.

ReputationRep:
    I'm kinda confused:

1. What's special about Wildred?

2. Why didn't he change?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddyman4)
    I'm kinda confused:

1. What's special about Wildred?

2. Why didn't he change?
    Wildred didn't change because [EDIT - deleted lol I was wrong here]

Remember that stuff the Doctor said a couple episodes ago about certain things having to happen? Like being fixed points in time that he can't change? Well I'm assuming that Wildred is special because he has to get stuck in the nuclear thingy-ma-jig so that the Doctor has to sacrifice himself to save him, i.e the doctor wouldn't have died if Wildred hadn't have been there.

Hence why I now hate Wildred. He was a decent guy up until this episode.

Also. The weeping angel who showed her face was blatently the Doctor's mother. I mean COME ON PEOPLE! She screams "My little boy" when Galifray is re-destroyed/faded/imploded! How are people not noticing this?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beige_Angel)
    Wildred didn't change because he was inside the nuclear thingy-ma-jig.
    No he was in the same place as everyone else who changed. He was tied up in a chair, I remember because he was like that before the changeroo, and then after because the Master had him on the phone to Donna.

ReputationRep:
    No he was in the same place as everyone else who changed. He was tied up in a chair, I remember because he was like that before the changeroo, and then after because the Master had him on the phone to Donna.
    Oh yeah, well then the Master probably did it for his own egotistical reasons :p: i.e. wanting someone else there whilst he does the whole "you can't stop my evil plan" avec explanation cliché shpeel...

ReputationRep:
    Wilfred didn't change because he was inside the glass nuclear box thing when the Master activated the gate thingy to change everyone else - remember the Doctor said it was made out of alien glass that was containing the nuclear radiation? I guess that repelled the changing-wave as well.

I'm not so sure the lady was the Doctor's mother - the shouting at the end sounded something like "Gallifrey burns" to me.

Also, the music that played when she lifted her head to look at him during the stand-off with the gun and the president wasn't Donna's music. It goes back earier than that - it was the Bad Wolf music. On the soundtrack CD it's called "The Doctor's Theme", but we only ever really heard it during Bad Wolf moments, and possibly at the end of Doomsday.

Personally, I wasn't very taken with last night's episode - it was just all too much, really. The best and most effective DW stories at the subtle ones. It doesn't need to be a huge epic with the entire planet at stake AGAIN.

Having said that, there were some brilliant moments. And I loved loved LOVED how, in the end, he died to save Wilf - for no other, grand, big plan or reason, just to save an old man who was in the wrong place at the wrong time. He didn't want to do it, and like he said, it wasn't fair, but he still did it. They didn't need the whole Time-Lords-are-back-oh-wait-no-they're-not. The scene when he's realising exactly why he's going to die, not wanting to do it but having to anyway because that's who he is was one of the best piece's of writing RTD has ever come out with.

And I really REALLY loved the last hurrah to all of Ten's companions - because that's what his era has been about, really. His friends, how much he loves them, and how, in the end, he looses them all. It was set up way back in School Reunion with Sarah Jane, and that seemed a fitting way to draw it to a close. To see them all, happy and safe and with someone who loves them.

Plus I'm a huge Rose fan, so that bit had me shaking in joy. He started with her, and he finished with her. Full circle and all that.

Give Matt Smith a chance, I reckon. Don’t judge him on 30 seconds TV time; I did that with David Tennant last time, decided he looked like a reject from Grease, and nothing would ever be as good again. And look what happened then. I don’t think he was “copying DT” with his whole legs-arms-hands-fingers thing; he was just a bit warped from the regeneration. Old personality going out, new one coming in. Bound to mess with anyone’s head.

The bit on the trailer when he says “I’m the Doctor” put a tingle up my spine. I’m looking forward to it.

Speaking of the trailer, the bit at 20 seconds – new Tardis interior? I can’t quite work out if it is or not.

Anyway. This is unnecessarily long. Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Good send off for Tennant I think :borat:

In reflection though, still doesn't top Pertwee. Man was a god.

My favourite episode ever = Death to the Daleks

:rofl: at the Daleks. Sarah-Jane is a screaming irritation in this episode though.

Remember that stuff the Doctor said a couple episodes ago about certain things having to happen? Like being fixed points in time that he can't change? Well I'm assuming that Wildred is special because he has to get stuck in the nuclear thingy-ma-jig so that the Doctor has to sacrifice himself to save him, i.e the doctor wouldn't have died if Wildred hadn't have been there.

Hence why I now hate Wildred. He was a decent guy up until this episode.

Also. The weeping angel who showed her face was blatently the Doctor's mother. I mean COME ON PEOPLE! She screams "My little boy" when Galifray is re-destroyed/faded/imploded! How are people not noticing this?!
    It wasn't exactly his fault really, you can't just hate him for that. :p:

The whole scene at Donna's wedding where Wilfred salutes him and then blows a kiss was excellent. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe RTD didn't let the Time Lords come back especially when he could have given the new chief writer so much to play with If he'd have let them come back.

ReputationRep:
    2. Why didn't he change?

How short are your memories, mangs? Wilfred didn't change because he was in the glass box with "radiation shielding"; once the Doctor lowered down the levels, he stopped seeing the Master's face.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma the Hippy)
    Speaking of the trailer, the bit at 20 seconds – new Tardis interior? I can’t quite work out if it is or not.
    Well there is definitely going to be a new interior, I paused the vid there too and it looks like it's halfway through changing, very empty but the basic shell of the place is still there.
    Going to be a bit sad to see the coral go though

Thought it was quite brave of them to make the interior of the greatest ship in the universe nothing more than random bits of high techy junk :P I hope they don't over futurise the interior.

ReputationRep:
    I think that part of the trailer is the bit UNDER the console. Like ... how the previous one had storage underneath the metal stuff (see The Unicorn and the Wasp) and various other bits (such as the one where they first visit Pete's World and he gets that gem thing). I think it's an expansion on that, only stairs go under it now.

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't there a blue peter competition for kids to design the new interior of the TARDIS for the new Dr?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Untitled258)
    Wasn't there a blue peter competition for kids to design the new interior of the TARDIS for the new Dr?
    They were tasked with creating a new console out of household items because The Doctor broke it, but it wont be the permanent console - just a temporary measure (from what I remember)

ReputationRep:
    The Dalek two-parter will be set in Nazi Germany.

ReputationRep:
    There's a new Doctor Who trailer for this year on the BBC Doctor Who website. I think the 11th Doctor will be saying "Geronimo!" alot, like the 10th Doctor saying "Allon-sy!"

It was a nice ending to Doctor Who. I can't believe Martha and Mickey got married! Captain Jack in some bar in space. I wonder if they could he could have Jackson Lake (The next doctor episode, yes that lame Cybermen in Victorian London episode!).

It was a shame the Time Lords had to go. Typical Davies. Iwas thinking as well maybe the Time Lady in white who was talking to Wilf was the Doctor's mother, though they kinda hinted in the yesterday night's episode.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.