Is Scottish independence a 'good or bad' thing? Watch

Poll: Should Scotland be an independent country?
YES (299)
32.12%
NO (632)
67.88%
This discussion is closed.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by JayStudent)
Ohh my bad, misread what you were trying to say! I have no clue if it will be Scottish run or not, like I said, I want it purely for the national identity, I don't care much for the economics or anything behind it!

Isn't the life expectancy of many places in Scotland not only like 60-70 years old now anyway, much shorter than England?
You said you wanted it so you would be independent of Westminister.
I'm just pointing out you won't be. Even at the basic level of reciving income you'll need Westminister to collect tax on your behalf for a decade after 'independence'.

Its a bit shorter, more like 75-80 though.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd be looking to have my own private pension anyway, I wouldn't care much for the state pension. It's already quite a tiny amount, people surely couldn't live off it alone?
Fair enough, but you'll still be paying Westminister set National Insurance levels until Scotland gets its own system.

£7,280 isn't to be sniffed at though, not that thats the point...
cowsforsale
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
Life expectancy in Scotland is little different from that in the rest of the UK, though marginally lower. Anyway, that isn't the problem:

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/commen...1964n.21741033
An article written by Ruth Davidson?

Come on, you're not even trying...
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by cowsforsale)
An article written by Ruth Davidson?

Come on, you're not even trying...
You think she is lying when she says the IFS has said that Scotland would find it considerably more difficult to fulfil its state pensions requirements than it would if it was to remain part of the UK, then?
JayStudent
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
Fair enough, but you'll still be paying Westminister set National Insurance levels until Scotland gets its own system.

£7,280 isn't to be sniffed at though, not that thats the point...
To be honest I think when we all reach a certain age we should just be a shot, I actually hate the prospect of ever reaching an age that I began to have more health problems than hot meals.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
To be honest I think when we all reach a certain age we should just be a shot, I actually hate the prospect of ever reaching an age that I began to have more health problems than hot meals.
You should read Anthony Trollope's "The Fixed Period" to see a fictional account of how that might turn out.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Apparently most people do until they get to that age, then living just stays too tempting. Then its too late.
JayStudent
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
Apparently most people do until they get to that age, then living just stays too tempting. Then its too late.
I'll keep a note of that and if I ever come across it I'll give it a read.

I know a few people that are older and are quite happy to die, they say they've enjoyed their life and accomplished what they wanted to. At the same time though, I have overheard old people in hospital crying over the fact they had so much more they wanted to do and never did it.

All I know is that if I make sure I live a happy and successful life that allows me to do everything that I set out to do in life, I'll be happy to die when I'm older rather than clinging to a fragile life.
FinalMH
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
Yet you link us to an article in which a Labour MP states that the policy would be discriminating on the grounds of nationality and that points out such discrimination is illegal under EU law. :confused:
That wasn't there when I posted it. Sorry.
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well I'm not sure about how divided areas are in England, but I don't personally think that in Scotland many areas are divided! In terms of accent, I don't think anyone pays much attention to where you are from; of course they notice as Edinburgh and Glasgow are far different yet only 45 minutes apart, but no one cares. The only time there's a divide is if it's the typical neds/chavs that everywhere in the world has.

Well in the vote next year, I hope there is a majority yes vote and the plan set out in the white paper on us being fully independent by.. 2016 I think it was? Definitely happens. I know there will probably be SOME sacrifices we have to make financially to be able to thrive on our own, but I don't think it is as bad as some scaremongers are preaching. (At least, I don't think we will be the next Greece anyway..)
How about the Doric of the North East, or Shetlanders, or Highlanders? There clearly is regional discrepancy. You say above people look at you funny in England when you talk-in actuality, nobody I know judges folk by their accents.

What winds people up is this attitude Scots have of blaming England for their problems and creating all manners of unjustified stereotypes. We are more right wing, less socially minded, arrogant, you name it English people have it.

You know what? There are plenty of Tory voters in Scotland, Scottish politicians can be dishonest and Scotland is a very insular, exclusive society in general. Stop playing the Salmond card and using stereotypes to justify your bigoted cause.

Posted from TSR Mobile
MatureStudent36
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TheLoveDoctor)
am I the only person in the country that simply supports federalism opposed to splitting up the union?
how about we get an english parliament along with a scottish parliament, and we have a national parliament for union matters? scotland has virtually achieved a federal settlement, so now it wants to control its own foreign policy and defence? in terms of foreign policy we are doubtlessly stronger together whereas on domestic policy we don't benefit from being under the same umbrella like that - scotland and england and the rest of the union countries should push for federalism, not separation
Because an English parliament wouldn't achieve anything. Better to have several regional English assemblies that would be closer to the people. An English parliament would still have the problem of people from the north of England claiming that the south isn't catering to their needs. However, you just need to look at the running costs of NI, Welsh and Scittiah assemblies to see that the only people who benefit are politicians and civil servants.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ohh my bad, misread what you were trying to say! I have no clue if it will be Scottish run or not, like I said, I want it purely for the national identity, I don't care much for the economics or anything behind it!

Isn't the life expectancy of many places in Scotland not only like 60-70 years old now anyway, much shorter than England?
Theres about one year. However if you look at Scotland we have a huge spread. All of those issues that impact are devolved issues.

soeak for yourself about national identity. You may be a naval gazing nationalist, but most if us can quite happily be Scottish and British. No different to somebody being able to identify as British, English, Yorkshire or Scouse.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
http://m.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/independent-scotland-would-have-to-reapply-to-eu-1-3232221

Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MatureStudent36)
Because an English parliament wouldn't achieve anything. Better to have several regional English assemblies that would be closer to the people. An English parliament would still have the problem of people from the north of England claiming that the south isn't catering to their needs. However, you just need to look at the running costs of NI, Welsh and Scittiah assemblies to see that the only people who benefit are politicians and civil servants.
And that place called the Midlands which is more ignored than anywhere else.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Libertatem
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Aj12)
Why do you support independence?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I believe in the right for our country to completely govern ourselves without devo-max. We can utilise our resources the correct way if we have them under our own control. I don't feel that we are under the correct guidance with the UK government.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by RobertAnthonySmith)
I believe in the right for our country to completely govern ourselves without devo-max. We can utilise our resources the correct way if we have them under our own control. I don't feel that we are under the correct guidance with the UK government.
Our country? Do I get a say in this?

I don't particularly feel that the SNP have guided us particularly well. They've told more lies than Blair. That's some track record.
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Voting for independence because you don't like David Cameron is so fickle you're just as well getting it. When Salmond's lies send Scotland up the creek then at last you won't have England to blame.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Libertatem
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Midlander)
Voting for independence because you don't like David Cameron is so fickle you're just as well getting it. When Salmond's lies send Scotland up the creek then at last you won't have England to blame.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm sorry but who do you think you're talking to? You must have a very small brain if you managed to materialise the opinion that I am voting yes because I dislike David Cameron.

It's very true that I don't like David Cameron, not solely because he has a **** personality (he does), and not solely because he caters for the middle and upper class (he does), but also because he is a poor politician who is afraid of debating with Alex Salmond.

To counter your point; people who vote no because they dislike Alex Salmond... they seem to have escaped your line of fire. Is this some bias?

I hope we get independence (with regards to your comment about blaming the English, which is ridiculous because there are a multitude of reasons that we CAN in fact blame the English... in fact last ****ing week the HOUSE OF LORDS stripped Holyrood of it's powers over renewable energies), not so we lose the ability to blame England, but so we lose the shackles and chains England has on the control of our country.
Libertatem
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MatureStudent36)
Our country? Do I get a say in this?

I don't particularly feel that the SNP have guided us particularly well. They've told more lies than Blair. That's some track record.
Of course you get a say in it. It's our country as Scots and if you don't believe that Scots should have full control over Scotland then I'm not quite sure if you really deserve to be addressed under the umbrella term "our"...

You say that the SNP haven't guided us particularly well. As an SNP member, I'd like to ask for some evidence of Alistair Darling, Better Together or even the UK Government guiding us well.

Edit: going to bed as I have work tomorrow, but I shall reply tomorrow.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
if you don't believe that Scots should have full control over Scotland then I'm not quite sure if you really deserve to be addressed under the umbrella term "our"...

Congratulations! You have actually used the no true Scotsman argument in a Scottish independence discussion.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (139)
17.77%
It's just nice to be back! (211)
26.98%
Not great so far... (281)
35.93%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.31%

Watched Threads