Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    All I want is for Monfils to win a Grand Slam, is that too much to ask?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Lol don't know if that would happen but that would be epic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDB1826)
    All I want is for Monfils to win a Grand Slam, is that too much to ask?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Lol don't know if that would happen but that would be epic.
    He has potential but he doesn't have the insane conviction and power of will to train and improve that Grand Slam winners do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monk1324)
    He has potential but he doesn't have the insane conviction and power of will to train and improve that Grand Slam winners do.
    He's pretty much the most laid back guy on the tour, but at least he dominates the highlight reel.

ReputationRep:
    Kyrgios is a giant **** though.
    He is for sure but he's got tons of potential, if he gets his head straight of all the young guys he's the most likely to go all the way in my opinion. I mean he's beaten Rafa in a slam, Federer in a Masters and Murray a few days back in the Hopman Cup, not bad for a 20 year old.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizzy95)
    He is for sure but he's got tons of potential, if he gets his head straight of all the young guys he's the most likely to go all the way in my opinion. I mean he's beaten Rafa in a slam, Federer in a Masters and Murray a few days back in the Hopman Cup, not bad for a 20 year old.
    I agree, I think Australian tennis is in a promising age right now with Kygrios, Tomic, Kokkinakis etc, it just ruins it when Tomic/Kygrios have a bad attitude sometimes. At least Tomic has sort of got his head straight, says he's aiming for top 10, do you reckon he'll get there?

ReputationRep:
    I agree, I think Australian tennis is in a promising age right now with Kygrios, Tomic, Kokkinakis etc, it just ruins it when Tomic/Kygrios have a bad attitude sometimes. At least Tomic has sort of got his head straight, says he's aiming for top 10, do you reckon he'll get there?
    I rate Tomic myself, he's ranked 18 now so it comes down to whether he can defend his points. Nikishori is by far the best of the young guns.

I still think with the big 4 weakening and the young guns not been as good that the potential is there for Del Potro to have no real rival should he return strongly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I rate Tomic myself, he's ranked 18 now so it comes down to whether he can defend his points. Nikishori is by far the best of the young guns.

I still think with the big 4 weakening and the young guns not been as good that the potential is there for Del Potro to have no real rival should he return strongly.
    True, true - completely forgot about Del Potro, hope he makes a good comeback

ReputationRep:

I think Tomic can get to the top 10 if he really buckles down and puts in the commitment necessary because he's got the talent and the potential but like Kyrgios sometimes the commitment is questionable.

I don't know if Nishikori counts as one of the young guns though, he's only 2 years younger than Murray and Djokovic so at this point in time he should be in his prime and should realistically start challenging for slams because him and a lot of the other guys including Dimitrov and Raonic aren't up and comers any more so they should be doing a lot better. Hopefully without injuries and with the experience they should have by now we'll see some of these guys starting to make a difference, I think this season is a make or break season for that group of players before the next wave (Kyrigos, Kokkinakis, Tomic, Coric & Zverev) overtake them

ReputationRep:
    I think Tomic can get to the top 10 if he really buckles down and puts in the commitment necessary because he's got the talent and the potential but like Kyrgios sometimes the commitment is questionable.

I don't know if Nishikori counts as one of the young guns though, he's only 2 years younger than Murray and Djokovic so at this point in time he should be in his prime and should realistically start challenging for slams because him and a lot of the other guys including Dimitrov and Raonic aren't up and comers any more so they should be doing a lot better. Hopefully without injuries and with the experience they should have by now we'll see some of these guys starting to make a difference, I think this season is a make or break season for that group of players before the next wave (Kyrigos, Kokkinakis, Tomic, Coric & Zverev) overtake them
    Interestingly a year or two ago i looked at rankings and slams for a few of the top players the past decade early in their career and if you put Nadal and Hewitt to one side then most of the top players since 2000 have broke out in rankings and slams around 21-24 (i'm talking finals and breaking towards the top of the rankings), Before that a few were actually ranked around 40 at like 19/20 before the jump from reaching finals and becoming consistent (Murray and Djokovic for example), The concerning thing is that bar the big 4 we only have Del Potro and Nikishori who have done anything notable in that range so far.

ReputationRep:
    Nadal got destroyed by Djokovic again. It's crazy to think how competitive this rivalry used to be a couple of years ago. Now Nadal can't even come close to winning a set against Novak let alone a match. I can't help but feel that Nadal is kinda ruining his legacy by still playing as he is way past it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_K1NG)
    Nadal got destroyed by Djokovic again. It's crazy to think how competitive this rivalry used to be a couple of years ago. Now Nadal can't even come close to winning a set against Novak let alone a match. I can't help but feel that Nadal is kinda ruining his legacy by still playing as he is way past it.
    Meh, no one can take away what he's accomplished over the years. He's probably still hoping for a big recovery. Even if he doesn't beat Djokovic again he's probably gonna stay in the top 10 which is still pretty good.

ReputationRep:
    Interestingly a year or two ago i looked at rankings and slams for a few of the top players the past decade early in their career and if you put Nadal and Hewitt to one side then most of the top players since 2000 have broke out in rankings and slams around 21-24 (i'm talking finals and breaking towards the top of the rankings), Before that a few were actually ranked around 40 at like 19/20 before the jump from reaching finals and becoming consistent (Murray and Djokovic for example), The concerning thing is that bar the big 4 we only have Del Potro and Nikishori who have done anything notable in that range so far.
    Yeah the only explanation I can think of may be that the physicality and longevity of players has changed immensely over the last decade so these younger players are taking longer to reach their physical peak whilst the more established players are finding ways to maintain their high levels way into their late 20s and 30s. In the past by 29/30 players were probably doing well to still be in the top 10 and a new wave of players in their late teens/ early 20s would be on hand to take over.

Or it could be that players like the Big 4 and Wawrinka are just more talented than the current crop of players trying to break through right now

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the only explanation I can think of may be that the physicality and longevity of players has changed immensely over the last decade so these younger players are taking longer to reach their physical peak whilst the more established players are finding ways to maintain their high levels way into their late 20s and 30s. In the past by 29/30 players were probably doing well to still be in the top 10 and a new wave of players in their late teens/ early 20s would be on hand to take over.

Or it could be that players like the Big 4 and Wawrinka are just more talented than the current crop of players trying to break through right now
    Personally i think that the game just constantly evolves and that the next generation are simply not comparably good. Hell, how many of them have even won a clay 250.

ReputationRep:
    Raonic is the best from generation useless. With his serve, he can win a few masters 1000 and maybe a slam when Djokovic and Murray decline. Nishikori doesn't have a good serve and the less said about Dimitrov the better so I think Raonic has the best chance of having a great career out of the three.

ReputationRep:
    Meh, no one can take away what he's accomplished over the years. He's probably still hoping for a big recovery. Even if he doesn't beat Djokovic again he's probably gonna stay in the top 10 which is still pretty good.
    I very much doubt that a player like Rafa would be happy to keep playing if he can't win a slam and lose every single time to a player who he used to dominate a few years ago. He looked absolutely devastated to me after losing the Doha final and I think if he can't recover some of his best form this year then I think this would be his final year on tour unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    I very much doubt that a player like Rafa would be happy to keep playing if he can't win a slam and lose every single time to a player who he used to dominate a few years ago. He looked absolutely devastated to me after losing the Doha final and I think if he can't recover some of his best form this year then I think this would be his final year on tour unfortunately.
    I haven't seen the actual match but from what he said to the press afterwards he seemed to be at peace with it. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

ReputationRep:
    I know I want Berdych to do well, but always get annoyed when he can't capitalise, let's hope he doesn't balls up more chances in 2016.
    It's always been the case though. Hopefully he can finally stop being a mental midget this year - he's come so close in the slams, SF or better.

ReputationRep:
    Well people say this and have had said this about both Federer and Nadal season after season and neither of them have retired. Rafa is still only 29; he has 3 good years left in him I think.

The way he's lost to Djokovic the last few times though ... can't deny it's been embarassing. I actually think that the rivalry has now become more now lopsided than Federer-Nadal. Whereas Federer can hurt Rafa if he's close to the redline, Rafa can barely dent Djokovic. To be fair, I haven't seen Rafa play Djokovic at his very best since 2014, but he needs to find a way to hurt him in their matches soon, otherwise he'll never win another slam and depend on others to take Djokovic out before they meet.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Andy Murray is looking for Djokovic's "flaws", apparently.

Good luck, Andy.

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/35319202

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.