Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emem2011)
    Is anyone else feeling really deflated after their admissions test?
    I sat the BMAT and at first I was ok because I knew I hadn't done well, although now i'm really disappointed because I love Oxford and I know I stand no chance for Medicine. Oxford is the only BMAT university I applied to because I knew it was a risk to apply to more than one, and it was always going to be Oxford.

I think the thing with BMAT in particular this year was that there was so much reading to do, which took up an awful lot of time. As a result, I ran out of time to properly consider some of my answers. There were also a few questions that I think could have been debated over. I've read lots of people discussing the question about whether black or white clothing would be better in the winter. I spent a while deliberating over this, as black would absorb any heat that was available although white may reflect body heat back in. I went for black in the end, although lots of people went for white and I can see both sides of the argument. I'm really disappointed because I think some of the questions in BMAT don't give you the chance to explain your choice, using this one as an example. I've also presented it to quite a few different people who sat the BMAT who know lots about physics, and they even said it could be argued both ways.

I'm a person who really enjoys learning and so I know the Medicine course would have been really interesting to me as it's so academic and science-based, although it's literally hit me this weekend that I definitely have no chance now!

Does anyone else feel this way, whether you sat the BMAT or another admissions test?
    I'm glad somebody else feels the same way as I do. You summed up my feelings about it in that first paragraph. I want to believe that I've done well but I just can't make myself believe it
    As for the black/silver thing- in the assumed knowledge quite it says that silver clothing is used to keep a person warm. It also came up in a past paper I did so I put silver but I'm unsure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oxvlog)
    Hi, I'm not sure about this one! However, I think you should change your personal statement just to make sure that it doesn't pop up on any of the UCAS or Oxford plagiarism radars, because that would be really hard to deal with! Definitely change a few things!
    Actually, I think UCAS and Oxford both answered this before. Apparently you can use your exact personal statement and reference again to apply to Oxford (although it might be wise to include a sentence or two on your gap year and what you've been doing) and as long as it carries your name again it won't pop up anywhere as plagiarism. It was advised to choose a different college, though.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have any tips to prepare for the PPE interview, if it comes?

How will the layout be like?

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovecathy)
    Actually, I think UCAS and Oxford both answered this before. Apparently you can use your exact personal statement and reference again to apply to Oxford (although it might be wise to include a sentence or two on your gap year and what you've been doing) and as long as it carries your name again it won't pop up anywhere as plagiarism. It was advised to choose a different college, though.
    Oh, fair! Thanks for pointing that out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notyous)
    aw yay! univ only take 4 medics I think, scary I really like it, but yeah I would go anywhere they offered me haha! what are your stats like? how did you find bmat?
    I'm an international student not sitting CIE. I found it alright but I have no idea what the actual outcome will be. Don't fret about BMAT, we've all tried our best and that's what counts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryanicale)

Cheers!
    Hey, I'll ask a PPEist today and get back to you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Politheistic)
    Hi all -- sorry if you've seen me post this earlier tonight but I'm in a bit of a panic.
    For our submission of written work, do we need to send in a copy that literally has markings and comments from the teacher on the paper, or do we just send in something that has been assigned in class, along with the cover sheet? Thanks!!
    I think they do prefer something that has markings and comments, but only because it's a verification of you having done it back then (they want to make sure you don't write something especially). I would say, call your college just to check up with them, as It's not that big of a deal to worry about, and I'm sure you can find a solution!

ReputationRep:
    Last year applicants began finding out on the Tuesday the 11th of November, but this year that Tuesday is the 10th... aka tomorrow.

:auto:

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know when E&M applicants hear?
    I'm so nervous. Only have 5A*'s at GCSE, but 3A* 1A in my A-levels so hopefully it helps. TSA could have also gone either terribly or quite well.

ReputationRep:
    anyone know when law hears? I suspect it'll be near the end since it's so popular, but omg the 10th...that's so close...
    edit: last year there were law offers as early as the 11th I really really hope they don't drag it to the last minute this year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehtarik)
    A little bit disastrous as I panicked in Section 1!
    Me too! And I was running out of time

ReputationRep:
    Crazy to think we could hear this week or up to a week before the interview!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oxvlog)
    Hey, I'll ask a PPEist today and get back to you!
    Would you mind asking the CAAHist for tips as well? Lots of thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studdybuddy101)
    Can someone help me quickly?!

I am a gap year student and as a result I do not have a lot of options to send for the written work to Oxford. (English Lit). I called the college I am applying to and they said I could submit my coursework if I cut it down to 2000 words, summarise what is not there and they know it will not be a marked version. so 1) Is this a disadvantage, the work not having markings and 2) (My main question) Can I just take out a section of the middle of the essay and summarise that? Or did they mean you can only take off 1000 words off the beginning or 1000 words straight off the end and summarise what is missing? Because the bit I want to take out is two sections from the middle.
    Hm, I'm unsure about this one. I don't know about the marking, it might be better if you could get a previous teacher/professor to mark it for you? Because that's what I've done, I'm currently doing a course with no English Lit in it whatsoever, so I emailed Oxford and they said my high school teacher could correct it. You could try that.
    I suggest you email them directly about which bit of your coursework you want to cut down on. It's best, and hopefully, you should get a reply soon. Be prepared with two versions of the work you wish to submit, and once you get the email from them, you can pick the one they wish for and send it off.
    Good luck! Hope it turns out all right!

ReputationRep:
    Anybody who's applied to St.Catherine's for English Lit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somnacin)
    Would you mind asking the CAAHist for tips as well? Lots of thanks in advance
    Sure thang!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Artfanatic)
    Last year applicants began finding out on the Tuesday the 11th of November, but this year that Tuesday is the 10th... aka tomorrow.

:auto:
    I wouldn't get too excited though, my subject was one of the first to interview and I only heard right at the end of November.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    I wouldn't get too excited though, my subject was one of the first to interview and I only heard right at the end of November.
    I found out last year on this time though [reapplicant]
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Artfanatic)
    I found out last year on this time though [reapplicant]
    Some departments do send things out earlier, I just know that dozens of people are going to be anxiously posting over the next few weeks wondering where their interview invitation is so I just wanted to remind folks not to expect anything immediately!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryanicale)

Cheers!
    My friend's sister applied for that course last year but got rejected after interviews. She said she had two interviews, one with a Philosophy and Politics tutor and one with an Economics one. Not sure if it's always the same layout though !

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.