Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I did my test today. Kinda disappointed tbh, AR took me by surprise.

VR: 680 (easier than I had expected)
    QR: 740 (meh)
    AR: 670 (hard.. far more multi-dependent patterns than I thought - and I suck at those)
    Avg: 697

However, thank you to all the people who've been posting and giving advice. Would probably have done a lot worse without them haha.
    Does anyone have any suggestion where this score would be good at uni? I wanted to apply to kings and barts - but not sure if that's a wise move now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marsbar3007)
    So I did my test today. Kinda disappointed tbh, AR took me by surprise.

VR: 680 (easier than I had expected)
    QR: 740 (meh)
    AR: 670 (hard.. far more multi-dependent patterns than I thought - and I suck at those)
    Avg: 697

However, thank you to all the people who've been posting and giving advice. Would probably have done a lot worse without them haha.
    Does anyone have any suggestion where this score would be good at uni? I wanted to apply to kings and barts - but not sure if that's a wise move now.
    VR WOW! lol easier??? haha this section is slowly killing me. you have a good score still!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi there guys! I had just done my UKCAT last thursday and I felt alright about my results.

VR: 670
    QR: 780
    AR: 730

Average: 727

I'm currently studying Biomedical science and I am planning to apply for post grad medicine, In Warwick, Barts, Leicester and Southampton. Are these scores any good for those Unis? Also are there any other unis I could have a good chance at getting with these results? Thanks in advance guys <3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chirag Gurung)
    Hi there guys! I had just done my UKCAT last thursday and I felt alright about my results.

VR: 670
    QR: 780
    AR: 730

Average: 727

I'm currently studying Biomedical science and I am planning to apply for post grad medicine, In Warwick, Barts, Leicester and Southampton. Are these scores any good for those Unis? Also are there any other unis I could have a good chance at getting with these results? Thanks in advance guys <3
    hey any tips? In relation to VR? Were the texts hard to understand, or were the easy but long or?

As for your choices:

Barts: They use a degree result + UKCAT score to invite for interview. Your UKCAT is good, what are you predicted for degree result?
    Leicester: Score you, based on various points, worth checking how you may score on A levels, personal statement,Degree Result/predicition- note they have GCSE requirements too!
    Soton: Good choice, they score by UKCAT, make sure you have a-level chemistry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lostperson)
    hey any tips? In relation to VR? Were the texts hard to understand, or were the easy but long or?

As for your choices:

Barts: They use a degree result + UKCAT score to invite for interview. Your UKCAT is good, what are you predicted for degree result?
    Leicester: Score you, based on various points, worth checking how you may score on A levels, personal statement,Degree Result/predicition- note they have GCSE requirements too!
    Soton: Good choice, they score by UKCAT, make sure you have a-level chemistry
    Hmm for VR... yes the texts were much longer than the ones in the mocks found on the UKCAT website, idk if the screen was showing larger font but it seemed much heavier on text than I had expected... I used the same technique of just scanning quickly and answering questions and i did run out of time on it so i had to just guess about 2 scenarios.

I have a 2:1 predicted in my degree course so thats ok i guess. and GCSE's are 5 A* 5 A's with AAB Bio/Math/Chem. Is that still ok?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chirag Gurung)
    Hmm for VR... yes the texts were much longer than the ones in the mocks found on the UKCAT website, idk if the screen was showing larger font but it seemed much heavier on text than I had expected... I used the same technique of just scanning quickly and answering questions and i did run out of time on it so i had to just guess about 2 scenarios.

I have a 2:1 predicted in my degree course so thats ok i guess. and GCSE's are 5 A* 5 A's with AAB Bio/Math/Chem. Is that still ok?
    I think I THINK, last year for BARTS they pretty much only picked people with1 st classes or predicted a 1st...check last years thread to make sure.. many people had like 2:1 and 700-750 UKCAT scored and were rejected pre-interview.

ReputationRep:
    How do the online kaplan mocks compare to the real thing guys?
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi if anyone wants a medify login expiring 19th Sept, message me. It's hardly been used.

Good luck with your UKCAT if you haven't done it already

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beenieeee)
    Hi if anyone wants a medify login expiring 19th Sept, message me. It's hardly been used.

any tips???

ReputationRep:
    any tips???
    I did mine last year, and thought I might have to redo it this year but I didn't

I found medify the most useful resource for prepping
    Don't be disheartened if the mocks don't go as well as you would like - my actual scores were completely different
    The candidate toolkit has lots of good advice on it

Um, I guess all you can do is practice as much as you can, and familiarise yourself with the question styles and your own techniques? I got a good score last year and most of it was just guessing
    The VR passages were a lot longer than I expected

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    yes so you will be applying for the undergraduate...
    Now, I`m most certainly convinced I am a fool. Thanks anyway!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, slightly random question but what sort of things were the passages on the VR section about? Obviously we're not meant to use any of our own knowledge but were they history-based, science-based etc???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beenieeee)

Hey I have mine on the 15th and It would be really nice to be to do a little practice on it

ReputationRep:
    Also can someone please confirm what you use for clearing the data on the calculator in the real thing?? Is it the backspace button or escape? I've been told a mixture of things so if someone (who's actually done the test) could clarify that would be fab

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lahigueraxxx)
    Also can someone please confirm what you use for clearing the data on the calculator in the real thing?? Is it the backspace button or escape? I've been told a mixture of things so if someone (who's actually done the test) could clarify that would be fab
    Its backspace

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting in the 500's in my mocks so far... and my exam is on sat!!? Please help!! Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    When people guess Qs, do you just select e.g. C, for all the questions you intend to guess. Or do you choose A one time, B another etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smoggie98)
    How do the online kaplan mocks compare to the real thing guys?
    thanks
    In terms of VR, it's true that the real test has slightly longer texts than those given in kaplan. But the same principle still applies- skim read and pick out key words from the question! I don't think the questions were any harder than those in kaplan mocks, and I had about 3 sets of T/F/CT questions.

Have you got access to Kaplan practice tests 1 to 6? Because I've found that the QR sections for these tests are very representative of the real exam- that is to say, QR is MUCH easier than the practice mock tests on UKCAT website. Much less data to sort through, which is always nice Kaplan practice tests 7-9 I found harder than 1-6 for QR (and the other sections too tbf), but that might also be because those were the ones I did first (don't ask me why lol).

For AR, I found that I had more type 4 sets than are usual in kaplan mocks, though that might just be an unfortunate coincidence. I also had more complex type 1 questions (you know, ones with conditional patterns), whilst in kaplan mocks they tended to be more of the easier, single patterns. But its not too bad, I think I was just a bit unlucky

SJT was surprised by- I got band 1, even though in ALL my practice tests I've never gotten above band 2! The questions were similar to the kaplan mocks, so as long as you go through all the questions you got wrong in the mocks the SJT in the exam will be easy

Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    I always run out of time on the QR - any tips to speed up? I've got mine tomorrow and have done most of the questions on Medify - how does the real thing compare?

ReputationRep:
    Well, how many questions are you missing?
    And are you skipping the most time consuming questions? You should be.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.