Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Gah, I'm getting confused again with this textbook. I'm sure water moves from a high water potential to a low water potential down the water gradient? Right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InvoluntarySlacker)
    Gah, I'm getting confused again with this textbook. I'm sure water moves from a high water potential to a low water potential down the water gradient? Right?
    :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    yes, (Short summary)
    we need to know that when there is too much glucose in the blood , Certain steps are taken by the beta- cells such as secretion of insulin.Insulin a polypeptide has target cells, adipose tissue cell and liver cell are few.Insulin binds into the receptors, presence of insulin causes GLUT4 a glucose tranpsorter protein to reach the plasma membrane from the cytoplasm, so that glucose could easily be taken in by the cells.
    Other being the work of gluckinase enzyme which converts glucose into glycogen in the liver.

Thanks., that's more or less what i have written down anyway, soo happy days

ReputationRep:
    osmosis , yes sir.

ReputationRep:
    Stupid book. It's blatantly wrong. How can we revise from this tripe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinkerbelle ♥)
    :yes:
    Have you linked the specimen paper on nerves? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Stupid book. It's blatantly wrong. How can we revise from this tripe.
    lol

ReputationRep:
    My teacher said today that respirometer i definitley coming up. anyone done notes on respirometer ?

ReputationRep:
    1) Explain how burning an oil-fired stove in a greenhouse will increase the growth of the plants in the Greenhouse?

1)2) Explain why hydrogencarbonate incidicator solution will change from red to purple/red as the aquatic plant or alga in it photosynthesises.

3) Suggest and Explain how each of the following factors could alter the rate of photosynthesis:

A)Lack of magnesium in soil
    B) lack of water in soil
    C) the presence of DCMU, a herbicide that blocks electron flow between PS2 and PS1

answers

1) It increases the temperature, increasing the rate of enzyme-catalysed reactions, and produces carbon dioxide , a raw material for the light-independent stage.

2) plant will absorb carbon dioxide(which could react with the water to become acidic) and so this raises the PH of the solution.

3) a) Reduced chlorophyll production so less chlorophyll/ fewer photosystems, hence less light captured.

b) Reduced water uptake. Palisade cells won't be turgid so chloroplasts not near the edge of cells. Stomata may close, so less diffusion of carbon dioxide.

c) blocking the flow of electrons will reduce the number of hydrogen ions pumped across the thylakoid membrane into the thylakoid space and reduce chemiomosis(basically less hydrogen ions diffusing through ATP synthases)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Remarqable M)
    Explain how burning an oil-fired stove in a greenhouse will increase the growth of the plants in the Greenhouse?

Explain why hydrogencarbonate incidicator solution will change from red to purple/red as the aquatic plant or alga in it photosynthesises.

Suggest and Explain how each of the following factors could alter the rate of photosynthesis:

B) lack of water in soil
    C) the presence of DCMU, a herbicide that blocks electron flow between PS2 and PS1
    burining of fossil fuels releases carbon dioxide as a waste product so increases the concentration of c02 in the air. this means increasing co2 concetration speeds up light independent stage and increases rate of photosynthesis upon a certain point. then co2 concentration no longer limiting factors and its likely to be supply of atp and nadph2 from light dependent stage.
    think that maye be the answer to 1)

ReputationRep:
    Explain how burning an oil-fired stove in a greenhouse will increase the growth of the plants in the Greenhouse?

Explain why hydrogencarbonate incidicator solution will change from red to purple/red as the aquatic plant or alga in it photosynthesises.

Suggest and Explain how each of the following factors could alter the rate of photosynthesis:

B) lack of water in soil
    with part c theres a question on it in the specimen paper, could it be that there is no energy available from electrons moving down the electron chain that would normally pump H+ ions into the intermembrane space to then be used to generate ATP as the ions move through ATP Synthase
    or something along those lines perchance?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have MEI D1 on monday - same day as this bio exam??

ReputationRep:
    Anaerobic Respiration

Explain why anaerobic respiration produces a much lower yieled of ATP than aerobic respiration.

- Anaerobic respiration requires no oxygen, hence the electron transport chain cannot function, so krebs cycle and the link reaction will not proceed. This leaves only the anaerobic process of glycolysis as a source of ATP.

The reduced NAD which was produced during glycolysis must be re-oxidised(in other words recycled) so that glycolysis can continue to work.

For eukaryotic cells there are two pathways to re-oxidise NAD:

1) Lactate fermentation

2)Ethanol fermentation(ethanol is the formation of alcohol from sugar(glucose))

Lactate fermentation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clad in armour)
    with part c theres a question on it in the specimen paper, could it be that there is no energy available from electrons moving down the electron chain that would normally pump H+ ions into the intermembrane space to then be used to generate ATP as the ions move through ATP Synthase
    or something along those lines perchance?
    ahah yep thats right:yes:

ReputationRep:
    guys im ganna be back on tommorow.....night night

ReputationRep:
    ahah yep thats right:yes:
    Do you know what would be amazing, if you could post in the Biology forum with all the notes you posted in this thread. Mainly because it's fairly disorganised because I, and I am assuming most people, have no clue where they all are in this thread :p:

Can you do that please?

ReputationRep:
    Do you know what would be amazing, if you could post in the Biology forum with all the notes you posted in this thread. Mainly because it's fairly disorganised because I, and I am assuming most people, have no clue where they all are in this thread :p:

Can you do that please?
    where? lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MG.GULED)
    My teacher said today that respirometer i definitley coming up. anyone done notes on respirometer ?
    What is a respirometer? Im sure it doesnt come up in the Exclusively endorsed OCR Biology book...

ReputationRep:
    My head hurts

ReputationRep:
    where? lol
    I noticed that you posted alot of revision notes like this: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...&postcount=441

I thought it would best if you collected all of your posts and posted in the subforum.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=129

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 7, 2016

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.