Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations, Russia! You deserved it

Get over it people! We were beaten by foreigners. Accept it and move on instead of picking at Russia's every fault. The last world cup was held in a country with one of the highest crime rates in the country and the whole thing was pulled off just fine!

We also have 8 years to go before the 2018 World Cup anyway and tbh in that time Russia is going to have improved in many aspects... which is more than can be said for England...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    About Qatar in 2022, actually how many football stadia does it have? :lolwut:
    Look at the Wikipedia article for the World Cup final venue in 2022 :facepalm2:
    This article is about one stadium. This the rest of the stadium that are going to be built:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/g...311033&index=0

ReputationRep:
    Do people reckon it's all about oil? My old man shouted me down for being an ignoramus and he's probably right, but it's a funny theory :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    I think the whole concept of international football needs to change. Seriously, a world cup every 4 years? It was a good idea back when international travel was difficult and costly but that's no longer the case. I think they should get rid of the European Cup and similar cups that are hosted between world cups and instead host a world cup every 2 years. There's not as much excitement for regional cups as there is for the world cup.

There's over a hundred countries that could host a world cup, we're talking centuries before they can all get a turn at hosting. Is it fair that England or any nation gets 2 within 50 years? We shouldn't be surprised that countries who have never hosted one are being given the chance over those who have.

ReputationRep:
    I would love it if any of the bitter grumblers here could explain why they feel England deserved 2018?

"We have the stadiums, the fans, the passion" blah blah blah.

Russia certainly has a football history be it as Russia or the USSR and passionate fans and as for the stadia, this gives the billionaires a chance to fund some pretty spectacular stadia in various cities - not just Moscow and St.Petersburg. And of course, a chance for a big sporting nation to host this for the very first time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robocop1andahalf)
    I would love it if any of the bitter grumblers here could explain why they feel England deserved 2018?

Russia certainly has a football history be it as Russia or the USSR and passionate fans and as for the stadia, this gives the billionaires a chance to fund some pretty spectacular stadia in various cities - not just Moscow and St.Petersburg. And of course, a chance for a big sporting nation to host this for the very first time.
    The kind of football history that saw them not even qualify for the last world cup?

The best, most competitive football in the world is played in England, and in my mind that on its own makes us more deserving of hosting the World Cup. And if being first time holders was such a big thing, why on earth didn't they just tell people, before they wasted their time? (we all know the answer there *cough* 'freebies' *cough* :rolleyes:)

The whole thing reminded me of nothing so much as Eurovision, but where our entry was actually good, and people cared. Unfortunately we had about as much chance of winning, and mostly for the same reasons.

But thats all done now, so fingers crossed for England winning the actual cup

ReputationRep:
    Olympics 2012, WC 2018, NO thanx this country is already in a bad state as it is, thank you russia for saving us from WC18, I have no idea why the ****ing english media are complaining, we hosted the world cup in 1966, meanwhile holland hasn't even had it once, they should have been ahead anyway...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    Do people reckon it's all about oil? My old man shouted me down for being an ignoramus and he's probably right, but it's a funny theory :teehee:
    It's all about 22 old FIFA men who take it up the bum-hole from Sepp Blatter. He tells them all what to do, where to position their bums (and their ticks in boxes) and he goes in for the kill, always getting his own way with things.

The stadium will have to be dismantled I feel sorry for those who spend ages building it

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by robocop1andahalf)

England has the better history with the sport, it does not have as major issues as Russia does with racist fans yet is one of the world's biggest footballing nations, the stadiums and the weather are more than supportive, the transport links are going to be there because of the 2012 Olympics. Russia can very well face problems of infrastructure such as what is going on in Ukraine, the distances and travel involved isn't exactly great and football is a lot bigger in the UK. If all Fifa wanted to "bring football to new places", Brazil should never have had 2014 and they should've automatically banned countries like the UK, Spain and Portugal from even bidding. As it is, this and the Qatar result just make Fifa look like a shady organization who don't want anyone talking about their old boys wink nudge club.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Consilio Et Animis)
      Russia has money to win votes so congrats. Same thing for the Arabs too..
      Do you have proof to support your allegations?. First the British media go and call FIFA corrupt then complain after losing. Qatar probably got it because they wanted to make it global. It is after all the world cup - not the English, American or any other cup.

ReputationRep:
      Motty on Football Focus was spot on.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Flob)
      The kind of football history that saw them not even qualify for the last world cup?

The best, most competitive football in the world is played in England, and in my mind that on its own makes us more deserving of hosting the World Cup. And if being first time holders was such a big thing, why on earth didn't they just tell people, before they wasted their time? (we all know the answer there *cough* 'freebies' *cough* :rolleyes:)

The whole thing reminded me of nothing so much as Eurovision, but where our entry was actually good, and people cared. Unfortunately we had about as much chance of winning, and mostly for the same reasons.

But thats all done now, so fingers crossed for England winning the actual cup
      And the kind of footballing history that saw England totally screw up at the last World Cup and miss out on Euro 2008 at the expense of.....erm, Russia?

Please do not tell me you are some football fan who has no care about anything from before around the mid-90s. Otherwise you would realise how much a serious football force the old USSR were (even if most their players were actually Ukrainian there were still plenty of Russians too) Besides, I think the best and most competitive football is played in Spain. And maybe Italy too.

And please do not make any nonsensical Eurovision analogies. If you are one of those ignorant conspiracy theorists who thinks everything in that contest is a total fix, please do not comment any further. Or try and explain a theory why Germany was so popular this year and why Norway and the UK were so popular last year but not this year?

(Original post by ish90an)
      England has the better history with the sport, it does not have as major issues as Russia does with racist fans yet is one of the world's biggest footballing nations, the stadiums and the weather are more than supportive, the transport links are going to be there because of the 2012 Olympics. Russia can very well face problems of infrastructure such as what is going on in Ukraine, the distances and travel involved isn't exactly great and football is a lot bigger in the UK. If all Fifa wanted to "bring football to new places", Brazil should never have had 2014 and they should've automatically banned countries like the UK, Spain and Portugal from even bidding. As it is, this and the Qatar result just make Fifa look like a shady organization who don't want anyone talking about their old boys wink nudge club.
      I have no problems with Russia 2018 but Qatar 2022 does make me shake my head. I was rooting for a return to the USA in 2022.

I do not think the weather in England is any more exotic than Russia and as for big distances, the Russian world cup will only take place in the Euro part of Russia and only covering two time zones. I believe the furthest east we will go is either Kazan or Yekaterinburg. I do not think there will be any greater travel distances than at USA 94.

ReputationRep:
      I have no qualms with Russia as it is moving in to new territory (although disappointed), but Qatar is a joke. It's only going to be played in front of a few extremely rich Arabs and leave no legacy what so ever.

Out of interest, does anyone know how FIFA decides which countries have representatives that make up the 22? Why does Guatemala and Cyprus have delegates that vote on where the world cup is being held? It should be the top 22 FIFA ranked countries imo...

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by edmhaslam)
      i have no qualms with russia as it is moving in to new territory (although disappointed), but qatar is a joke. It's only going to be played in front of a few extremely rich arabs and leave no legacy what so ever.

Out of interest, does anyone know how fifa decides which countries have representatives that make up the 22? Why does guatemala and cyprus have delegates that vote on where the world cup is being held? it should be the top 22 fifa ranked countries imo...
      no. Just no.

ReputationRep:
      This would only have added to the embarrassment of an olympics **** up. England fans do not care about other countries or their football - that much is obvious.

The cynical entitlement that pollutes fans of the English international game would ruin the World Cup the very second England were knocked out by any of the huge number of technically superior footballing teams.

ReputationRep:
      Dont know if anyone has seen this....

http://transparencyinsport.org/Blatt...s_monster.html

Gives you an impression of the person sepp blatter actually is....

ReputationRep:
      Mafia to racism - your A-Z of Russia
      E for...England. Remember us; it should be us.
      Facepalming so hard rn.

ReputationRep:
      Some quarters have criticized England and the English bidding camp for giving off a sense of entitlement with regard to hosting the World Cup. Tbfh, we created football and we're fully entitled to our/air our views to want to clean up FIFA, get rid of its corruption. For a country that invented the game, to have only hosted a world cup just the once - takes the piss tbh. Others have stolen our game, e.g. FIFA, and are making a mockery of the game and the world cup competitition per se.

ReputationRep:
      Source

Boris Johnson has withdrawn the offer of a free stay in London's exclusive Dorchester hotel for Fifa executives during the 2012 Olympics.

The Mayor of London had offered the free accommodation for Fifa president Sepp Blatter and his team.

But after Fifa's decision on Thursday's 2018 World Cup vote - which saw the England bid get just two votes out of a possible 22 - the offer was rescinded.
      Sore losers you English lot are, really..I mean really...the reaction to the verdict has been unbelievable

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.