Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heyimdec)
    Hello everyone, sorry if this question has already been asked.

For people holding a conditional offer, you won't know which hall, floor and flat you have been placed in until after results day?
    This is true yes, as it is for most other unis so far as I'm aware. Also, just read the thread, there's a post above saying this...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roh)
    This is true yes, as it is for most other unis so far as I'm aware. Also, jut read the thread, there's a post above saying this...
    Thanks for your help. So it shouldn't matter if you have applied this late (silly me), or is it based on a first come first serve basis? Sorry for all the questions.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heyimdec)
    Thanks for your help. So it shouldn't matter if you have applied this late (silly me), or is it based on a first come first serve basis? Sorry for all the questions.
    I'm not sure if it's first come first served, probably but I couldn't be certain as my halls wasn't massively oversubscribed so didn't get much of a picture as some had firmed, some insured though no clearance people.

So long as it's your firm you should be OK for all but the very popular ones, JoFo self catered this year (and most years just JoFo generally).

Even if you don't get your first choice most people wouldn't swap their halls for anything after about 2 weeks, I know people in mine (Beaumont, shared bathroom, catered) who originally had JoFo down but if you offered them a transfer after freshers' they'd turn you down without hesitating.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, does anyone have pictures of the rooms in the Coppice hall? thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! I'm going to be an Erasmus student at University of Leicester and I must apply for accomodation. Any advice for me? I'd like SALISBURY HOUSES or FREEMEN'S COMMON, which one is the best in your opinion? For Salisbury Houses, what is the difference between the Salisbury Road, Lancaster Place and Regent Road ones?
    Sorry for so many questions, but I'm very confused! Thank you all!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feds90)
    Hi everyone! I'm going to be an Erasmus student at University of Leicester and I must apply for accomodation. Any advice for me? I'd like SALISBURY HOUSES or FREEMEN'S COMMON, which one is the best in your opinion? For Salisbury Houses, what is the difference between the Salisbury Road, Lancaster Place and Regent Road ones?
    Sorry for so many questions, but I'm very confused! Thank you all!
    Only difference between the 3 in Salisbury Houses is small location differences (though they are all very close to the campus) and that Salisbury Rd is made up of terraces.

Freemen's is also close to campus but set out in blocks and flats. I know Freemen's has a lot of international students and ERASMUS, I'm not so certain about Salisbury.

If you want to meet lots of British students in First year (so not already in friendship groups) then you'd be advised to apply to Oadby halls. (GMS, Beaumont, John Foster and Digby).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much for help and advices!

ReputationRep:
    I sent my application off for accommodation over 2 months ago, I checked the status of my application the other day and it still says "submitted". It hasn't even been processed yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow.panda)
    I sent my application off for accommodation over 2 months ago, I checked the status of my application the other day and it still says "submitted". It hasn't even been processed yet
    If you hold a conditional offer, that'll be why. I sent mine off the day it opened and it still says submitted.

When you meet the requirements they gave you, give them an email or call to let them know... quote your student number (this will be on any correspondence from the uni, check your acceptance/offer letter) and mention the status of your accommodation form also quoting this reference number (found on the page with the status of your application)

They won't start processing you accommodation application until they are certain you will be attending in October. Hope this was helpful
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeautifullySimple)
    If you hold a conditional offer, that'll be why. I sent mine off the day it opened and it still says submitted.

When you meet the requirements they gave you, give them an email or call to let them know... quote your student number (this will be on any correspondence from the uni, check your acceptance/offer letter) and mention the status of your accommodation form also quoting this reference number (found on the page with the status of your application)

They won't start processing you accommodation application until they are certain you will be attending in October. Hope this was helpful
    You don't need to send an email or ring on results day, accommodation will know if your place has been confirmed. If everyone contacted them they'd spend the day fielding thousands of phone calls and emails not sorting out your accommodation!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeautifullySimple)

Thank you I was worried there, I thought something had gone wrong somewhere!

ReputationRep:
    i have a conditional offer that i've firmed for english at leicester and am looking to stay in halls, self catered and probably with an en suite, could anybody give me any advice on what would be the best choice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rahface)
    i have a conditional offer that i've firmed for english at leicester and am looking to stay in halls, self catered and probably with an en suite, could anybody give me any advice on what would be the best choice?
    hau been to an open day to look around?

i applied for accomodation looking to have self-catered and en suite as well...

not too many self catered options however, i ended up putting down a combination of GMS, John Foster and Beaumont as my options

i think 1/2 were catered though, but all en suite

John Fosters is the newest of the lot but i thought there were all relatively decent with there own appealing aspects

ReputationRep:
    Heya , so Leicester is my insurance choice university , does anyone know the probability that ill get put into mary gee housing ( ive been told that this accommodation is not every nice and hasn't been updated in a long while and its abit of away from the university ?) if i dont make my first choice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Larsson)
    hau been to an open day to look around?

i applied for accomodation looking to have self-catered and en suite as well...

not too many self catered options however, i ended up putting down a combination of GMS, John Foster and Beaumont as my options

i think 1/2 were catered though, but all en suite

John Fosters is the newest of the lot but i thought there were all relatively decent with there own appealing aspects
    yeah i went to an open day but i don't really remember too much about which was best or who went where, for example i've heard a lot of medics go to john fosters
    thanks for the help though i think i will still consider it now and maybe look in to GMS more
    seems odd that there are so many catered options and not many self catered i think though commpared to other uni's especially

ReputationRep:
    yeah i went to an open day but i don't really remember too much about which was best or who went where, for example i've heard a lot of medics go to john fosters
    thanks for the help though i think i will still consider it now and maybe look in to GMS more
    seems odd that there are so many catered options and not many self catered i think though commpared to other uni's especially
    glad to help!

it does seem like there are very few self catered options, in halls at least...

i think GMS and Beaumont would be really good! i've heard that they are very social compared to John Fosters (though i suppose it will be whatever you want it to be)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    There are more medics in JoFo, but to be honest I think that is simply because medics seem, on average, to come from wealthier backgrounds. Are you a medic?

It's more catered because originally the intention was to run it as colleges, if you look at collegiate unis (Oxford, Cambridge, Durham, York etc.) they tend to be catered as eating together creates a good community atmosphere.

Having more catered apparently caused no problems, as there wasn't much demand for self catered, until fairly recently. Now there is I'm sure they will gradually bring in more and more self, but unfortuanately an entire halls of residence costs a lot of money to build so it'll take a while for this to happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roh)
    There are more medics in JoFo, but to be honest I think that is simply because medics seem, on average, to come from wealthier backgrounds. Are you a medic?

It's more catered because originally the intention was to run it as colleges, if you look at collegiate unis (Oxford, Cambridge, Durham, York etc.) they tend to be catered as eating together creates a good community atmosphere.

Having more catered apparently caused no problems, as there wasn't much demand for self catered, until fairly recently. Now there is I'm sure they will gradually bring in more and more self, but unfortuanately an entire halls of residence costs a lot of money to build so it'll take a while for this to happen.
    i see okay, that's really helpful. No i'm not a medic which is why i was a bit unsure as to if i would fit in if i went to john fosters, but I think it should be okay, thank you for the help
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    i see okay, that's really helpful. No i'm not a medic which is why i was a bit unsure as to if i would fit in if i went to john fosters, but I think it should be okay, thank you for the help
    Don't worry about that, there's still a lot more from other subjects. Given there are 740 rooms in JoFo and only 162 medics a year even if they literally all stayed there they wouldn't dominate it too much!

ReputationRep:
    In reply to Bethany01 - it is more likely that you would be given mary gee , and yes it is rather outdated. It's closer to the uni than oadby village and in my experience most people walk although the bus comes every 10 mins. Saying this, the social aspect can often be better as insurance people are less likely to be "neeks." - if you are unhappy with the accommodation you have been offered, the best thing to do it ring up the accommodation services and they are more than likely to offer you an alternative

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.