Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by Bongboy6969)
      I like smoking te weeds, it gives me super powers....

Seriously though, I don't get why people don't smoke...

I know it's bad for your health etc. but im the type of guy that will try most things (within reason) at least once, whether it be smoking weed, wakeboarding, sky diving, playing golf etc because I want to live my life to the full and don't want to be deprived of new experiances...to be honest that would be a terrible waste of a life IMO

Obviusly weed is relativley harmless (compred to alcohol etc) so I don't understand the people that are so dead against it, they won't even try it!

I totally understand if you tried it, and hated it, but if you haven't tried it why knock it? Before people say it's bad for you or it's illegal, please stop and ask yourself why you drank when you were under age and still drink now...:rolleyes:

I just want to know why people miss out on this awesome plant
      Only once, when in Amsterdam, I bought a cannabis chocolate cake (I don't smoke and wouldn't want to smoke cannabis either). Took it back to the hotel room and shared it with the girlfriend. She went a bit loopy and ended up being sick, I felt a bit drunk and giggly with a sensation a bit like swimming under water, hard to describe, but 'feeling drunk' is probably close enough. I'm glad I tried it, but even if I went back to Amsterdam I don't think I'd bother again. Getting drunk on alcohol is good enough for me.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Wasted Wrath)
      I asked you for proof that cannabis causes mental health problems, you can state a correlation between a lot of things.

There's a correlation between sunspots and global warming but does that prove that our recent CO2 output is not to blame for rising termperatures, no.

And the person you quoted could have triggered the disorder purely because he was genetically prone to it. Are you taking one persons statement on a forum as fact, if so then why aren't there millions of people roaming the streets with bipolar disorders due to cannabis. It simply isn't a proven thing...

I repeat, show me one study that without a doubt proves Cannabis is the cause of Schizophrenia, no a study of 4 people who had smokes cannabis in their lives found 25% were schizophrenic. I want a longitudinal study of a large amount of males and females of all ages which has been peer reviewed and published that proves what you are saying.
      Just look at my other posts if you want to see peer-reviewed articles

And it's very hard to prove beyond showing a strong correlation. There are various theories as to why cannabis could have whatever effects it may have, but nothing conclusive.

We also don't actually know exactly what the pathology of schizophrenia is - the 'dopamine hypothesis' is fairly well supported, but by no means bullet proof, plenty of missing links.

Sometimes you've got to look at the weight of the evidence and make your own judgement based on that. I bet theres plenty of things that you believe which haven't been 'proved'. For example, you're claiming a genetic link - prove it. In proving it you better not start showing me twin studies, family trees etc. This similarly shows a correlation. No proof. Just a probability. Theres a surprisingly small amount known about the genetics of this, which is probably a highly polymorphic condition (though there are some strong links with certain genes).

Back on cannabis - There is a strong body of evidence that there are gene-environment interactions where cannabis use leads to an increased liklehood of schizophrenia. Likewise theres a lot of solid peer reviewed studies that link cannabis to various psychoses, and just as many which say this is rubbish.

Ps - not against cannabis, would use if offered, but get very bored of people trying to claim its 'harmless', also bored of people trying to claim it's very harmful.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by hslt)
      Just look at my other posts if you want to see peer-reviewed articles

And it's very hard to prove beyond showing a strong correlation. There are various theories as to why cannabis could have whatever effects it may have, but nothing conclusive.

We also don't actually know exactly what the pathology of schizophrenia is - the 'dopamine hypothesis' is fairly well supported, but by no means bullet proof, plenty of missing links.

Sometimes you've got to look at the weight of the evidence and make your own judgement based on that. I bet theres plenty of things that you believe which haven't been 'proved'. For example, you're claiming a genetic link - prove it. In proving it you better not start showing me twin studies, family trees etc. This similarly shows a correlation. No proof. Just a probability. Theres a surprisingly small amount known about the genetics of this, which is probably a highly polymorphic condition (though there are some strong links with certain genes).

Back on cannabis - There is a strong body of evidence that there are gene-environment interactions where cannabis use leads to an increased liklehood of schizophrenia. Likewise theres a lot of solid peer reviewed studies that link cannabis to various psychoses, and just as many which say this is rubbish.

Ps - not against cannabis, would use if offered, but get very bored of people trying to claim its 'harmless', also bored of people trying to claim it's very harmful.
      I didn't claim a genetic link between schizophrenia, I simply said that this could have been the cause rather than him smoking three times.

I don't argue that cannabis is entirely harmless just that people who post here going 'lol cuz i dun wanna die of bein crazay' simply have no proof other than hear-say from friends and 'facts' from the government.

Make your own opinions on the drug, I'm just here to offer an alternative to the 'drugs are bad kids mkay' that we're bombarded with from an early age.

ReputationRep:
      Ive never wanted to, it doesnt interest me.

It doesnt bother me that other people do it though, each to their own :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
      I just don't get the point of drugs. Like those silly charms people used to hang from their mobile phones, just seems unnecessary.

ReputationRep:
      I've tried it! I liked it.
      I don't think I'd do it again though. It's unhealthy and can actually be addictive.
      But never say never... :P

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Planto)
      Sorry, but could you please stop spouting this garbage as if it is fact? There are correlations between extreme cannabis use and schizophrenia. Yes. However:

a) This does not imply that one caused the other; they may be (and likely are) both brought on by compounding external factors. i.e. it is likely that one who is susceptible to mental health issues is also susceptible to becoming dependent on a drug. Alternatively, it may well be a case that the mental health issues lead to use of the drug. In fact, either of these hypotheses has more to back it up than the notion that a drug selectively induces a long-term health disorder for reasons unknown.

b) We are talking about very extreme usage here. Saying "you shouldn't smoke cannabis because it will give you mental health disorders" is much like saying "you shouldn't eat salt because you will have a heart attack."

The whole "you're costing the taxpayer money" argument is tripe, too. A sports injury costs the taxpayer money. Should we stop people playing sports? Or is it that you are sole the arbiter of what is a worthy health risk? Because I can assure you that your assessment is based on entirely arbitrary values.
      If you read any of my posts with a bit of concentration you'll see I said any correlation is enough for me to be put off.

Your suggestion that people with mental health issues are more likely to be drug dependent is not medically asserted. And there never was the suggestion cannabis targets people 'selectively' in terms of mental health problems, it's a case of some people are predisposed to it and cannabis sets off the firework.

Sports actually have a benefit for the human body, people who exercise will generally receive less health care in the first place so it balances out.

(Original post by edd360)
      If I do fall victim to Mary Jane's schizo spell, I would happily pay for any costs. Anyway, why are you implying I am not a tax payer and you belong to a different group? My mum is a psychiatrist for the NHS, I probably know a lot more about the psycho-analysis of marijuana than you do, so I think I would be sorted if such a thing happened anyway. Also, I am slightly confused about your mental state, you seem to be implying it is marijuana inflicted, but you said you have never tried it, so if you're mental health state isn't related to cannabis I don't see how it is even relevant to this discussion? The views you have about weed are only there because people who smoke it are hence willing to break the law to do so, and consequently places many pot smokers in a certain category, and hence gives the drug a bad rep. The government made it illegal because it lowers productivity and hence anyone on weed would be of less use to them. You, like millions of others, are still victim to their psychological mind games. Ahh the beauty of having 2 psychiatrists as parents, you learn how to find **** out for yourself. Life is just a psychological mind game, and whoever is a step ahead of the other will come out on top.

"No, I never have and never will take leisure drug"

Ok so you are telling me you have never have a cup of coffee or a glass of coke? Rubbish. I'm surprised you don't avoid eating any sugars because you are scared of getting diabetes.
      Will you though? Really? I think not, and when you're in the grip of a mental health disorder you don't have the ability to go and do a 9-5. I didn't imply you were not a tax payer.

My disorder certainly is not related to drug misuse, and the point you're failing to grasp is that I know better than anyone how a mental health disorder can make your whole world fall down. You're brushing physcosis off as a minor ailment, I know that is an incredibly naive mindset. As already stated, the legality of it has no influence on my opinion, I just use that as an adjective.

If you had any sense or reason in your, to be honest, conspiracy theories then you'd know alcohol has a far greater effect on people at the time of usage than weed, but hey, the big guys haven't banned that have they Ohh, maybe they aren't all out to get us!

I hate coffee, and never really liked coke. Don't trouble yourself over it though darling, I certainly don't

ReputationRep:
      Weed was ok, but not worth forking out the cash for IMO, plus nights out stoned are rubbish, getting drunk is much more fun.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Pendulum)
      Weed was ok, but not worth forking out the cash for IMO, plus nights out stoned are rubbish, getting drunk is much more fun.
      but if you're having a night in, weed is much better value and infineltly more exciting/interesting.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by MovingOn)
      If you read any of my posts with a bit of concentration you'll see I said any correlation is enough for me to be put off.

Your suggestion that people with mental health issues are more likely to be drug dependent is not medically asserted. And there never was the suggestion cannabis targets people 'selectively' in terms of mental health problems, it's a case of some people are predisposed to it and cannabis sets off the firework.

Sports actually have a benefit for the human body, people who exercise will generally receive less health care in the first place so it balances out.

Will you though? Really? I think not, and when you're in the grip of a mental health disorder you don't have the ability to go and do a 9-5. I didn't imply you were not a tax payer.

My disorder certainly is not related to drug misuse, and the point you're failing to grasp is that I know better than anyone how a mental health disorder can make your whole world fall down. You're brushing physcosis off as a minor ailment, I know that is an incredibly naive mindset. As already stated, the legality of it has no influence on my opinion, I just use that as an adjective.

If you had any sense or reason in your, to be honest, conspiracy theories then you'd know alcohol has a far greater effect on people at the time of usage than weed, but hey, the big guys haven't banned that have they Ohh, maybe they aren't all out to get us!

I hate coffee, and never really liked coke. Don't trouble yourself over it though darling, I certainly don't
      Are you coming on to me or summet?

ReputationRep:
      nope, and I intend to keep it that way.

ReputationRep:
      Don't know where to get it from

ReputationRep:
      I tried it once when I was 14, in my mates barn. I have to say I don't know if we got a bad batch from the guy we got it off (and paid for) but it did absolutely nothing for me or anyone else there. We were mad,thinking we got ripped off.

Since then I have never bothered . I don't hang with a crowd that do now, I don't know whether that was because I was sleeping at someones house with my friend, and their older brother died and he had got some bad cut from whatever he was using. I was there when the poo hit the fan, it wasn't nice,heard his mums screams. He wasn't a drug addict but was a recreational drug user.It was just bad luck for him.

Also I have another friend, who Iam still mates with today,his Dad is in fact a criminal, one of those professional criminals. And I know a lot of wealth comes from drugs, selling drugs etc etc. He isn't a dealer he probably supplies the people who supplies the dealers,may even be higher up the chain than that.I cannot begin to explain to you how rich they are. Funnily enough despite what his dad done, he and his sister do not touch the stuff and his parents certainly don't.

He told me if he did his dad would blow his kneecaps out, and he would do it. So it seems they involve themselves in the sh1t, but don't partake themselves, what does that tell you about the idiots who do buy from him? I once spoke to his dad about legalising drugs and whether it would put him out of business, and he put his arm round my shoulder and said' believe me, I'd still make money out of it,maybe more money because there are so many muppets out there'. I like his dad, actually despite my political views ,but it shows me that drugs is about exploiting weak people.I know for a fact his dad wouldn't let him hang around me if I was a pothead even.

My brother unfortunately isn't like me, and became a heavy cannabis user, he did change for the worse and dropped out of uni. He had a very bad time, until he managed to stop and is now well ,he says he will never touch it again . My experience with my brother and knowing a little about the drugs trade,well at least the sorts of people who involve themselves in it, means , I think the only way, to stop the crime and the misery surrounding drugs,is to go the other way and to shoot all drug dealers and throw all drug addicts into forced rehab.

Any other option is pie in the sky.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by MovingOn)
      Your suggestion that people with mental health issues are more likely to be drug dependent is not medically asserted.
      http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/...ull/158/8/1181

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11506766

ReputationRep:
      I haven't smoked cannabis and have no intention of doing so.

I don't care if anyone else does, though, I think it should be legalised.

ReputationRep:
      I LOVE weed. But asking why haven't you tried cannabis is as pointless as asking why have you. Everyone is their own person, and for loads of different reasons people might not want to. That's like asking why haven't you tried **********ing upside down in the shower? It may be great to you but not for everyone else.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by burgergetsbored)
      hmm a lot of people on this thread seem pretty biased against it, it's proven time and time again to be a safer drug then alcahol in moderation? So why keep arguing?! All this nonsense about it being a gateway drug is rubbish too, it's the person that chooses that road, not any effect on the drug....I've known plenty of people who just smoke weed and have no intention of ever taking anything harder.

Was also proven that when your drunk your brain cells get "tickled" which causes the effects, but then parts of the nerves to them are killed off afterwards. With weed you get the same "tickled" part but when sober again the brain cells are left perfectly fine, so no brain damage. You also can't overdose, it just doesn't work. Vaporising it isn't no way near as bad as smoking it either as nothing is being burnt... so it gets to a level of yeah it might be unhealthy but so is eating junk food. Moderation is the key!
      What an utter moron you are!
      It has been proved time and time again it leads directly to severe psychosis.

ReputationRep:
      because crack gives a significantly better buzz?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
      What an utter moron you are!
      It has been proved time and time again it leads directly to severe psychosis.
      No, it hasn't, not at all. I has no mental problems related to it at all. Maybe, JUST MAYBE slight chance of developing split personality if smoked heavily from a young age. Fair enough if you don't like it, but all these lies from the government about mental problems is just full on lies.

ReputationRep:
      i has no mental health problems either :P

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.