Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    which halls have wifi might i ask?

ReputationRep:
    My advice would be to make sure you have a couple Evelyn Gardens halls.. it's a really nice place to live.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taheki)
    My advice would be to make sure you have a couple Evelyn Gardens halls.. it's a really nice place to live.
    I thought about that, but seemed quite far to walk to lectures on a cold and rainy morning. How long does it take roughly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluesky42)
    I thought about that, but seemed quite far to walk to lectures on a cold and rainy morning. How long does it take roughly?
    It takes me 15 minutes. Personally I really like having a walk in the morning. The weather hasn't really been a problem for me - can't remember any particularly bad days.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluesky42)
    In second year you'd probably have a longer journey to uni every day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taheki)
    It takes me 15 minutes. Personally I really like having a walk in the morning. The weather hasn't really been a problem for me - can't remember any particularly bad days.
    Okay, thanks. Maybe I'll go and have a look then.

(Original post by Zottula)
    In second year you'd probably have a longer journey to uni every day.
    I know! So I want to make the most of first year!

ReputationRep:
    Right! After a 10 minute search on the Imperial website, I think I've decided.

I'm going to apply for standard single rooms at:
    - Weeks
    - Pembridge
    - Wilson
    - Bernard Sunley

I didn't put much thought into it because I figured that there was no point getting attached to any particular Hall when I'll likely end up with none of my choices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heroesorghosts)
    Do any current students/prospective ones that have been to look know the difference between the standard single ensuite and premium in the East/Southside halls? Is it just a slightly bigger room with a single bed still? If so, how many square feet would this be? I presume the deluxe is a double bed. Thanks.
    Both premium and deluxe have double beds; however, the deluxe room is almost akin to a 5-star hotel (based on what I've seen from the pics o_o) The standard and premium rooms are about the same size; I presume that the latter may be slightly larger (but there are no exact figures in sq ft listed/to be found anywhere, sorry. ) However, it's a little quirk that some of the std singles actually have a bit more "free" floor space and look bigger than some of the premium singles; I guess it depends on your luck.

Don't be fooled by the "deluxe single" room view on the Imperial website; that's actually a premium single. This page should give you an idea of how grandiose the deluxe room really is (and how the others fare in comparison. )
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)

- Weeks
    - Pembridge
    - Wilson
    - Bernard Sunley

I didn't put much thought into it because I figured that there was no point getting attached to any particular Hall when I'll likely end up with none of my choices.
    Yeah I've just picked roughly what I like, but not looking too much into it and I don't want to visit the halls. I don't want to be really set on somewhere only to be gutted when I don't get it.

ReputationRep:

- Weeks
    - Pembridge
    - Wilson
    - Bernard Sunley

Wow, we have exacty the same choices, aside from +Fisher/Garden for me.

ReputationRep:

- Weeks
    - Pembridge
    - Wilson
    - Bernard Sunley

Avoid Pembridge. It is old and there are only two kitchens to be shared by 130 people.

ReputationRep:
    There are basically two clusters for accommodation. One is right next to Imperial, like South Side. The other is Evelyn Gardens. Pembridge and Paddington are a bit off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arianex)
    Both premium and deluxe have double beds; however, the deluxe room is almost akin to a 5-star hotel (based on what I've seen from the pics o_o) The standard and premium rooms are about the same size; I presume that the latter may be slightly larger (but there are no exact figures in sq ft listed/to be found anywhere, sorry. ) However, it's a little quirk that some of the std singles actually have a bit more "free" floor space and look bigger than some of the premium singles; I guess it depends on your luck.

Don't be fooled by the "deluxe single" room view on the Imperial website; that's actually a premium single. This page should give you an idea of how grandiose the deluxe room really is (and how the others fare in comparison. )
    The standard rooms and premium rooms certainly have a noticeable difference; the standard rooms have a single bed next to one wall with the desk pretty much 1.5 metres away (from the other side of the bed), there isnt THAT much floor space. The premium rooms all have double beds, but the desk is put at the foot of the bed, so premium rooms are much longer, and the floor space is pretty much 1m ish next to the side of the double bed and the desk. I'd say floor space is pretty much the same in both, but premium is certainly quite a bit bigger.

There is also a small standard for those of you who dont know (about £15 cheaper than the standard), and these are slightly smaller than the standard ones, but its ok, im living in one now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s.e.r.e.n.e)
    Avoid Pembridge. It is old and there are only two kitchens to be shared by 130 people.
    If I'm not wrong it's been mentioned that they've renovated it since you've been there (which was back in 2007, I believe)...anyway, I don't mind old if it's cozy-old.
    Also, it seems to be one of the most convenient (bar actually getting to college ) halls that Imperial offer; and I'd love the idea of having good ol' Notting Hill ready to explore at my doorstep.

ReputationRep:
    If I'm not wrong it's been mentioned that they've renovated it since you've been there (which was back in 2007, I believe)...anyway, I don't mind old if it's cozy-old.
    Also, it seems to be one of the most convenient (bar actually getting to college ) halls that Imperial offer; and I'd love the idea of having good ol' Notting Hill ready to explore at my doorstep.
    i like the sound of pembridge too, i dun think ill mind the walk too much (tho i cant say for the winter)...
    but its true if u look at their page on imperial's site.. there's only 2 kitchens shared between 99 people

ReputationRep:
    Yes that's right. Pembridge is very convenient for shopping around Notting hill, and transport is very convenient. Having said that, I doubt you visit Nottinghill everyday, but you need to go to college everyday. So definitely prioritise closeness to college.

They may have renovated it (I don't know) but there are still only two kitchens! There is one on the ground floor and one in the basement. Very inconvenient if you live on the top floor and use the basement kitchen. Also, you have your own personal space for the fridges in Beit (basically a cage and a lock), whereas in pembridge it is just a normal fridge. It doesn't really matter at all, but it does show that Pembridge is a slightly old and sub-standard hall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heroesorghosts)
    Thanks for both of your replies! One more question - how popular are the standard and premium rooms usually? If I put down a mix of say 2 premium and 3 standard are the chances are that I may get one of my choices? Also are there certain halls in Eastside/Southside which are more popular? Or is it all pretty random, and no one really has a clue then?
    The standard and premium rooms pretty much make up the bulk of the Eastside/Southside halls, with only about 10-14 twin rooms and two deluxe rooms, so if anything, if you do end up with East/Southside, you'll most probably get one of those rooms. I don't think you get a choice of which halls to put down for East/southside, I think the options are just "Eastside" and "Southside". Naturally, all the on campus accomodation (Eastside, Southside, Garden, Weeks and Beit) are going to be very heavily in demand, so don't be too surprised if you dont get it! The other halls are just as good, albeit a little far out but you do get used to the walk (I used to live in Wilson House which is about 25 minutes away).

ReputationRep:
    Just a few questions. Now that it's May we can expect the emails coming in any day now.. but, has anyone received their's yet? Secondly, I've formed a list of the affordable halls that I like, and in order:

1). Weeks - ensuite/std
    2). Garden - std
    3). Wilson - std
    4). Pembridge - ensuite
    5). Pembridge - std OR Holbein - std

Now.. how many choices do we get? Are we able to put down Pembridge twice (i.e my 4th and 5th choice, but one for ensuite, one for standard)? In Weeks, there are ensuite and standard rooms, but ensuite is cheaper, what's the deal? Does anyone have an image of the ensuite rooms as the website doesn't?

Irrelevant questions, but are we able to bring bikes anywhere besides Wilson? Oh, and can we use portable fridges (like desk size) in halls which don't already have them in your room?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xx_At)
    i like the sound of pembridge too, i dun think ill mind the walk too much (tho i cant say for the winter)...
    but its true if u look at their page on imperial's site.. there's only 2 kitchens shared between 99 people
    tbh the 99 ppl who share it dont all cook at the same time.
    it does get cramped occasionally, but generally te fact that theres only 2 kitchens means that every1 get 2 meet up with every1 (who comes out of their room) ^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViralRiver)
    Just a few questions. Now that it's May we can expect the emails coming in any day now.. but, has anyone received their's yet? Secondly, I've formed a list of the affordable halls that I like, and in order:

1). Weeks - ensuite/std
    2). Garden - std
    3). Wilson - std
    4). Pembridge - ensuite
    5). Pembridge - std OR Holbein - std

Now.. how many choices do we get? Are we able to put down Pembridge twice (i.e my 4th and 5th choice, but one for ensuite, one for standard)? In Weeks, there are ensuite and standard rooms, but ensuite is cheaper, what's the deal? Does anyone have an image of the ensuite rooms as the website doesn't?

Irrelevant questions, but are we able to bring bikes anywhere besides Wilson? Oh, and can we use portable fridges (like desk size) in halls which don't already have them in your room?
    You get 5 choices, but you can't put down one hall more than once. Not sure about the weeks qs...
    I'm not sure but I think most halls have storage space for bikes, likewise all over campus. You're not allowed portable fridges in rooms that don't already have a fridge, youre also not alloed things like kettles, toasters etc. in your room.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.