Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matmad94)
    What are good universities for studying biomedical science. I have no interest in doing medicine or dentistry as a post degree and probably want to work in a hospital as a biomedical scientist if this changes which courses are best suited for me. Currently studying biology, chemistry, geography and environmental studies and want to drop chemistry at the end of AS. I will be starting in 2013 and am aiming for ABB/BBB. Thanks!
    Any course accredited by the IBMS

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Do you think that "where" you gain a biomedical science degree affects your graduate prospects?

I'm not sure if I want to work in a lab or go into research. My firm choice is a Russell group university , 5th for life science and heavily research based. My insurance choice is a 1994 group, the course is accredited and heavily "lab" based. They are Manchester and Reading.

Now, obviously Manchester is one of the best for any life science degrees, however I know Reading is also a good university but i'm not sure how strong the science faculty is.

If I was to no make my firm choice, would it be better for me to resit and apply to another Russell group or just stick to Reading and try to make my way up?

ReputationRep:
    Personally I don't think it matters, just get high grades and show willing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YB101)
    Do you think that "where" you gain a biomedical science degree affects your graduate prospects?

I'm not sure if I want to work in a lab or go into research. My firm choice is a Russell group university , 5th for life science and heavily research based. My insurance choice is a 1994 group, the course is accredited and heavily "lab" based. They are Manchester and Reading.

Now, obviously Manchester is one of the best for any life science degrees, however I know Reading is also a good university but i'm not sure how strong the science faculty is.

If I was to no make my firm choice, would it be better for me to resit and apply to another Russell group or just stick to Reading and try to make my way up?
    unless you want to become a lawyer or work in a bank, no not really. You will need a masters or PhD to move up in the lab world anyway
    go to the uni you enjoy and the course you like the look off
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Just passed the first year of my degree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eloades11)
    Well done! Now go spoil your liver!

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9300

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eloades11)
    Congrats

I'm still waiting for my results :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Would like some advice from anyone in the know
    I'm starting at Southampton uni in October to do biomed with the aim of graduate medicine afterwards, but I starting to panic that my chances of getting in are low and not sure of job prospects if I don't get in as the course is not ibms accredited. So is there away you can do further study to make the degree accredited? or what can careers can I go into with an unaccredited degree?
    Any help would be appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmilyLovesRafa)
    Would like some advice from anyone in the know
    I'm starting at Southampton uni in October to do biomed with the aim of graduate medicine afterwards, but I starting to panic that my chances of getting in are low and not sure of job prospects if I don't get in as the course is not ibms accredited. So is there away you can do further study to make the degree accredited? or what can careers can I go into with an unaccredited degree?
    Any help would be appreciated!

The odds are low for everyone applying to med school you just have to make sure you are the one to stand out, Career wise depends on what you want to do, accreditation is needed to work in the NHS as a biomed, you can take top up courses to gain that accreditation but thats more time and money. Outside of that cereers are the same as any other graduate just you can apply to STEM jobs as well. Banking, accounting, the army, and so on

ReputationRep:
    I want to go into research after my degree, am I at a disadvantage if I do an accredited course ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YB101)
    I want to go into research after my degree, am I at a disadvantage if I do an accredited course ?
    No

ReputationRep:
    I have just finished my second year as a biomedical scientist at Roehampton :-)

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I shall be doing Biomedicine at UEA, all going to plan - I think it will.

Could anyone suggest any books for pre-reading?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack7Richards)
    Well done! Now go spoil your liver!

I have done, I won't be drinking for a long while after that session!

(Original post by Foxydelic54)
    Congrats

I'm still waiting for my results :mad:
    Thank you best of luck with your results!
    (Original post by JJMick)
    Hey guys, I shall be doing Biomedicine at UEA, all going to plan - I think it will.

Could anyone suggest any books for pre-reading?
    Your best bet is to email UEA or check their website for reading materials, but I'd recommend Brocks Biology of microorganisms which covers a fundamental basis of molecular biology and diversity.

ReputationRep:
    I just completed my 2nd year and I have an interview for a Placement within the Bone Dynamics and Virus-Host department at my university which would last a year.

Just wondering does anyone have any tips for me? What type of things will they ask me? and will they be completely ruthless in the interview or will they be a bit more linient as they've both lectured me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OneBeanLescott)
    I just completed my 2nd year and I have an interview for a Placement within the Bone Dynamics and Virus-Host department at my university which would last a year.

Just wondering does anyone have any tips for me? What type of things will they ask me? and will they be completely ruthless in the interview or will they be a bit more linient as they've both lectured me?
    Defo revise health and safety in the lab. Look up COSHH and the CPA. And I guess read around the subject. Will you be doing your research project in that area? Look for current news about your field, perhaps a few research papers.

ReputationRep:
    Looks like I have a lot of touching up to do before my interview tomorrow :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Are there many people in your university who have managed to get a placement for biomedical sciences?? Is it very tough to get one?

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

According to the IBMS list,
    Can anyone recommend the "top" universities to get into for Biomedical Science?

I have actually got acceptance into the Newcastle Uni, but just because it's not IBMS accredited, I'm having doubts.
    I'm an international student (non-EU), and I wonder what are the chances for me getting into the NHS?
    Is it even an excess to worry about the IBMS thing since I'm from overseas?

Any opinion , from anyone?

ReputationRep:
    :eek:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.