Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambrosse)
    That exam had some crazy questions. For histamine I put it inflammes and irritates the muscle and also receptors in muscle cause it to contract in presence of histamine. I have no idea if its right becuase answer is so ambigous, plus there is nothing in text book about histamine I can find.

I feel so annoyed though becuase for label plant I put xylem as centre and phloem and cambium as bits right outside and now I realised it was vascular bundle and not root! ahh lost some easy marks on that one.

Time seemed to go quickly too for me, I had to rush last question so probably made some mistakes.
    You had to apply your knowledge of cell signalling on the question about histamine - so you had to talk about how protein bound membranes act as receptors and target cell/complemtary shape etc.

ReputationRep:
    be honest - what grade do you honestly think you got?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CullenLoverX)
    meh... it wasn't too bad tbh. certainly easier than june 2010 but too many 'suggest' questions so everyone was like wtf.

what did everyone write for the question asking why the bunch of flowers would survive longer if the stem was cut? i wrote some random crap about how it ensured there was nothing to impede the flow of water in the xylem, as it has been freshly cut, so any potential blockages at the bottom had been removed.
    I put some rubbish about how the cells at the bottom might be dead due to lack of water and minerals so therefore if the stem was cut it would get rid of the dead cells and therefore improve the efficiency of the uptake of water. I don't really have any idea. And everyone else on here has put other things to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Normandy114)
    I realised it was cell membranes, just put too polar to diffuse through so uses channel proteins.
    I said that the water molecules travel through the carrier proteins down the concentration gradient
    How does water pass directly through if the tails are hydrophobic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CullenLoverX)
    be honest - what grade do you honestly think you got?
    Its hard to tell...it went as well as the mock papers I think and therefore possibly scrapping a D. But I want a C so I hope it reaches that. I don't think it went a bad as my first attempt (as this was a resit) but then again I did come out of that thinking it went OK and I ended up with a U so as I said its hard to tell. I can't wait for the results now just to put me out of my misery.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimmey)
    for the one when it asked why doesnt the plant cell burst, did u guys put cus of the cellulose cell wall ??????????
    your probably right, and im kicking myself for not thinking about that.
    I was unsure wether onion cells have cell walls lol.
    So i just some rubish about diffusion equilibrum.
    Awww man

ReputationRep:
    i have a feeling i've lost quite a few marks on the long answers, the mark schemes in biology are really specific! I feel as if i havent put in all the nessasarry points required.

How do you guys feel?

ReputationRep:
    I think I probably got 50% + marks maybe up to 70%. so not great, not sure what grade that will translate as. Its always hard to tell what mark scheme was looking for though I find.

ReputationRep:
    About the pathways the water takes throug the cell membrane - 2mark question .

I thought that was symplast and apoplast pathway?

ReputationRep:
    what did you put for the cytoskeleton question, I wrote about chromosomes and vesicles moving?

ReputationRep:
    Do you think that for plant cell wall one you needed to put about the cell membrane pushing against the wall. I just put cell wall prevents bursting but now looking back im thinking mayb that bit was required also.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nima11)

Wasnt the question the pathwway through the membrane? ie, simple diffusion, facilitated...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shooby_doo)
    I said that the water molecules travel through the carrier proteins down the concentration gradient
    How does water pass directly through if the tails are hydrophobic?
    I said it's too polar to pass through the bilayer due to hydrophobic tails, so passes through channel proteins. Carrier proteins are something different and carry large molecules such as glucose using ATP, channel proteins don't use ATP and are for small polar/charged particles.

ReputationRep:

I thought that was aqua porines and diffusion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambrosse)
    Do you think that for plant cell wall one you needed to put about the cell membrane pushing against the wall. I just put cell wall prevents bursting but now looking back im thinking mayb that bit was required also.
    I just said the cell wall prevents it from bursting and it becomes turgid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimmey)
    for the histamine one did u have to talk about the receptor site having a complementary shape to a trigger and triggering a chemical response inside the cell ????????
    Yep thats pretty much what i said, and then it causes the reaction for the smooth muscle to contract, constricting the lumen in the bronchiole. That exam was so annoying, it was really different to the past papers, i wanted questions on the heart!! not 60 marks on stupid plants :'(

ReputationRep:
    I just said the cell wall prevents it from bursting and it becomes turgid
    Yes I put exactly the same also.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abu125)
    what did you put for the cytoskeleton question, I wrote about chromosomes and vesicles moving?
    I put its responcible for the movement of organelles inside the cell, e.g golgi vesicles
    and there seemed to be extentions coming out the cell so i assumed they were flagella. So they were responcible for the movement of flagella.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fitter)
    Yep thats pretty much what i said, and then it causes the reaction for the smooth muscle to contract, constricting the lumen in the bronchiole. That exam was so annoying, it was really different to the past papers, i wanted questions on the heart!! not 60 marks on stupid plants :'(
    Yes I agree, I wanted heart too. I put something about histamine causing irritation to muscle also as im sure I remember hearing that somewhere too although I doubt that gets a mark now looking back.

What about the second histamine question. I put white blood cells released into tissue bed more easily and tissue fluid flushed out through lymphatic system.

ReputationRep:
    On the gap filling question
    Did heamogoblin have an "attraction" for oxygen, or an "affinity" ?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.