Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheQuietOne)
    Ooooh nice! I hope the rice trick works that well for me too then.

How long do you leave the iPhone in the rice? I've heard anything from a few hours to a fortnight so I'm not sure how long to wait for my Kindle. Nervous about turning it on too soon
    I just left mine in overnight, although if your Kindle was completely submerged then I'd definitely leave it at least 5 days, just to be on the safe side.

ReputationRep:

How long do you leave the iPhone in the rice? I've heard anything from a few hours to a fortnight so I'm not sure how long to wait for my Kindle. Nervous about turning it on too soon
    When my GPS watch gets wet, I stick it in an airing cupboard. Always works again!

ReputationRep:

When my GPS watch gets wet, I stick it in an airing cupboard. Always works again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by addylad)
    Is there an easy way to download entire papers, etc. from sites like RefWorks? I would get a Kindle if this could be done! At the moment each chapter is an individual file which is a pass in the ass.

Thanks.
    I don't know I'm afraid :dontknow:

All the things I read on it are available as single-file PDFs, even the likes of EEBO which appears on the screen as individual PDF files, but there's an option to download a group (or an entire book's worth) of PDFs. Is there a way of meshing together several chapter files into a single PDF once you've downloaded them?

ReputationRep:
    I've had a Kindle for a while and use it loads. I read a lot anyway but it's increased the amount I go through substantially. iPads seem not so great as an e-reader, especially if you're gonna use it to read lots as I presume you'll still be using it for other things too.

**** iPads and all that ****. Basically toys and/or fashion accessories for most. I have a phone with a far superior battery life that seems to be 10x as reliable as any iPad, that can send and receive texts. That's all I want. MP3 player I've had is years old, again has far, far better battery than all this crap (people seem to think having a small MP3 player + phone in your pocket is the worst thing ever or something, when their combined weight and size is less than what they'd be defending, foolz).

ReputationRep:
    Update! Kindle appears to be working perfectly again. Bought both a normal and a waterproof case for it, and that 3 year warranty with accident protection.

They seem to manage quite well after a swim hurray for fast reactions and rice.

ReputationRep:
    i like the kindle because you can buy loads of very cheap digital book, i do prefer books but there are loads of ebooks on amazon that are less then a pound but i dont usual buy the kindle format if there is a printed book , but yeah it think its worth it plus its not that expensive.

ReputationRep:
    Update! Kindle appears to be working perfectly again. Bought both a normal and a waterproof case for it, and that 3 year warranty with accident protection.

They seem to manage quite well after a swim hurray for fast reactions and rice.
    Hurray! Welcome back to the Kindle Club. :badger:

ReputationRep:
    Kindle...is far superior to the Kobo and iPad if you're just looking for a reading device. The app support for kindle is great too, so you can pick up the books where you left off on your smart phone, PC, iPad, tablet etc

ReputationRep:
    I love my kindle. It's so handy to carry around and I get through a lot more books nowadays as well, which can only be a good thing

ReputationRep:
    For reading, definitely the Kindle! I have an iPad too, however I much prefer using the Kindle than iBooks. The screen pretty much resembles that of an actual book, and the Kindle store has a large variety of eBooks, most of which are cheaper than their paperback versions and occasionally free. I think if you enjoy the feeling of reading a book, the kindle is your best bet. Mind you, my version is the older 3G model.

ReputationRep:
    :love: it's my new best friend.

ReputationRep:
    I use my Iphone for reading reading books, personally my mate got a Kindle, but simply gave up on it. He simply wasn't into reading books, therefore he got an iPad, which is more suited to him, as it did more than books and web browsing.

Still, if you only want an ebook reader, and are willing to chip out on a lot of cash for books to read (or find `other` ways of obtaining your books, like i `may` do on my iPhone with the iBooks app) then go for a Kindle, but if you're gonna get it, read two chapters of one book and then realise you cant stand reading, dont bother my mate gave his to his mum in the end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by addylad)
    Is there an easy way to download entire papers, etc. from sites like RefWorks? I would get a Kindle if this could be done! At the moment each chapter is an individual file which is a pass in the ass.

Thanks.
    If the files are in .pdf (if not, you'd have to convert them, then convert back) you could use Adobe Acrobat, or a website like this;

http://foxyutils.com/mergepdf/

However, both of those methods require downloading all the individual files first, then compiling them.

ReputationRep:
    I have an iPhone 3GS and just downloaded the "iBooks" app for free. You can get loads of books on the iTunes store that are pretty reasonable, and a lot of freebies. Got a few yesterday and it's really handy to have & they're stored on a cool little bookshelf

I have an iPhone anyway, so i'm only suggesting it if you have one too to save a bit of money. But if you don't, stick with the kindle!

ReputationRep:
    My kindle is lovely I find that I read more with it aswell, with it being so portable .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeschylus)
    I will never buy a Kindle as long as I live
    Why bother to post on this thread then? :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nizza123)
    I just bought a kindle, it's fantastic and convenient however i have this dream of building an amazing book collection with a slider ladder.

So i will still buy certain books that deserve to be read again and again.
    This pretty much. I still like to own books I love but it's really convenient (especially for avoiding that trying to hold a book with one hand to read both pages without rolling over in bed thing...) and I just love having one ^^.

Also good for trying out books you're unsure about, getting loads of free casual reading, having your favourites with you and lecture notes/papers to read for uni. I found myself doing my uni reading/research so much better if I did it on my kindle rather than on my laptop, as there was no distraction and it just felt funner :P

xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophisticated)
    Why bother to post on this thread then? :cool:
    Because I tried one and and did not enhance my reading experience. In fact it did the opposite. But that's just like, my opinion man

:cool:

ReputationRep:
    You miss the feeling of a book in your hands and the smell of paper after a while. But it's handy for the dictionary, and you get some of the classics for free.
    I find that it's good for non-fiction, educational stuff too, because you're focusing more on the information than the experience of reading for enjoyment.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 25, 2012
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.