Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    I have never heard proper used and I have only not done the lower leg and intrinsic muscles of the hand
    It's an English word haha!

Like I dunno, London Transport covers more land than just that designated as London proper...

(Poor example, but here I'm basically saying that TfL covers more than just central london, it goes out to watford and so on...)

Maybe someone else can explain better but it is a real word hehe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    It's an English word haha!

Like I dunno, London Transport covers more land than just that designated as London proper...

(Poor example, but here I'm basically saying that TfL covers more than just central london, it goes out to watford and so on...)

Maybe someone else can explain better but it is a real word hehe
    I meant in an anatomical sense!
    I know the word :p:

ReputationRep:
    I always thought of 'proper' as the main bit before an artery branches off - sort of like hepatic artery proper etc.

But what do I know, our anatomy teaching here clearly fails!

ReputationRep:
    I always use common hepatic not proper

ReputationRep:
    Are they the same thing? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    The hepatic artery proper is a branch off the common, no?

ReputationRep:
    That's what I thought - didn't think they were synonymous.

EDIT: Just checked on WIKI and they're not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    It's the use of it as in everyday (well well-spoken everyday) English.

So my guess is that you're talking about one of the coronary arteries right?
    The blah proper is it in its full self in that case, before it branches off into e.g. Left anterior descending etc.
    Hah! How do you still remember that line from D&P? Impressive! Yes it is the coronary arteries. I understand what you're saying, and it makes sense, but I've also heard it used in other contexts such as the 'embryo proper'. As the embryo doesn't really 'branch off' (unless talking about the main trunk perhaps?), what would it mean in this instance?

ReputationRep:
    Well im ****ed then XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicine Man)
    But what do I know, our anatomy teaching here clearly fails!
    As the old joke goes.

BL is famous for it's lack of anatomy knowledge, that might even have been true as recently as three or four years. But, you have pretty good teaching now and most BL students, those that will graduate in 2012 onwards, have a good anatomy knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    What does proper mean when it is said ' Connective tissue proper' ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    As the old joke goes.

BL is famous for it's lack of anatomy knowledge, that might even have been true as recently as three or four years. But, you have pretty good teaching now and most BL students, those that will graduate in 2012 onwards, have a good anatomy knowledge.

Ahh yes of course. Apparently consultants on firms are saying our anatomy knowledge has increased based on previous years. But yeah, to be expected really - we have loads of anatomy teaching in first year!

(Original post by iq101)
    What does proper mean when it is said ' Connective tissue proper' ?
    I swear, sometimes I think this crap is made up. :p: Never heard of that. :s

ReputationRep:
    In other news, decided I will apply for my iBSc this year - really really interested in Medical Education - that's the one I'm going for.

Second choice might be either Experimental Pathology or Infection and Immunity. Not sure yet.

Now to get cracking on the 'personal statement'. :work:

ReputationRep:
    Finished revising for tomorrow's exam. My technique for this one has been to get bang on top of 2/3 of it, and then try and get a solid enough foundation in the final third. We shall see if that pays off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicine Man)
    In other news, decided I will apply for my iBSc this year - really really interested in Medical Education - that's the one I'm going for.

Second choice might be either Experimental Pathology or Infection and Immunity. Not sure yet.

Now to get cracking on the 'personal statement'. :work:
    I swear the iBSc PS is harder to write than the initial medicine one :rolleyes: Are you including non-academic stuff like extracurricular activities, or is it purely subject based?? (I'm applying for Biomedical Engineering at Barts).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    I swear the iBSc PS is harder to write than the initial medicine one :rolleyes: Are you including non-academic stuff like extracurricular activities, or is it purely subject based?? (I'm applying for Biomedical Engineering at Barts).
    Have You thought about ucl orthopaedic sciences, its at stanmore and apparently quite good, although they work them hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    Have You thought about ucl orthopaedic sciences, its at stanmore and apparently quite good, although they work them hard.
    UCL aren't taking externals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    :bawling: That was the dream... but as Kinkerz said, they stopped taking externals this year.

ReputationRep:
    SSC library project should definitely start today. Have to decide what to write about "Imaging the Brain". Anyone know any interesting CNS conditions where imaging for diagnosis or understanding could really be improved?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mushi_master)
    SSC library project should definitely start today. Have to decide what to write about "Imaging the Brain". Anyone know any interesting CNS conditions where imaging for diagnosis or understanding could really be improved?
    Not mainstream - but CJD, imaging is still pretty vague for that - althought part of it comes down to the few numbers of cases actually available.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.