Changing your Firm and Insurance **FAQ 2011** Watch

F1 fanatic
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Oggz)
Ok, thanks. Are the unis which are available for Adjustment the same as those with vacancies in clearing?
Also, my firm choice was applied for through extra, so would that mean it's still ok to use Adjustment?
On UCAS under Adjustment it says 'You are not eligible to use Adjustment if you have a confirmed place on a changed course offer'. Does this mean I can't use Adjustment as my offer was through UCSA extra?
Not necessarily, and unlike clearing there are no lists published by UCAS although universities do tend to publish vacancies on their own website. You will need to ring around universities yourself to see if they still have vacancies for adjustment.

As long as you exceed your firm offer you would be eligible. By "changed course offer" it means that you have missed your original offer, but the university have offered you a place to study a different course.
TheSownRose
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Oggz)
Ok, thanks. Are the unis which are available for Adjustment the same as those with vacancies in clearing?
Also, my firm choice was applied for through extra, so would that mean it's still ok to use Adjustment?
On UCAS under Adjustment it says 'You are not eligible to use Adjustment if you have a confirmed place on a changed course offer'. Does this mean I can't use Adjustment as my offer was through UCSA extra?
1. Not necessarily - universities in Clearing won't always offer the same place in Adjustment, which is bizarre. However, if a place is listed in Clearing and you want to apply, you can phone them. You can also just call a university that isn't listed.

2. Yes, if you applied in Extra you can still use Adjustment.

3. That's not what that phrase means. It's referring to cases where your firm makes you an offer for a different course because you missed your original offer.
vampiregirl
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
So....
If I've already accepted an offer from a fairly okay University, say, Queen Mary but would like to enter Clearing to get a place in a better University, say, King's.
Is that possible?
Lots of work?
How does Clearing work? You call the University and they confirm your place over phone if you've got the grades or do they say they might give you the place if you add it on UCAS before anyone else or something?
Like first come, first serve.
Isn't that a bad thing for someone who's already confirmed a place in a specific University because they need to release them first?
This is so confusing!
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Vinnygillan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I believe, and correct me anyone if im wrong, that if you get the grades for your first choice offer you have to accept it. If its your insurance then i think you would be allowed to go into clearing but you would have to phone the university and then tell them to release you.

Clearing is the spare places university's have because not enough students have got the grades to get into that uni. Newspapers such as the independent publish the clearing places.

What i've done is gone through all the university's in the country where i would like to go to and got the entry requirements for each of them and the contact details of the admissions office so if i dont get into my first choice (please god PLEASE) then im more than well prepared for the clearing aspect of it.

Oh yeah its first come first serve. My friend was seconds away from getting a place at university and then the woman on the phone was like, oh unlucky the place has just gone so you need to be fast and well prepared.
Cyborgasm
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You do not have to accept your first offer, if they accept you and you do not whant to go ask them to release you into clearing.

Best to do this after you have telephoned around and found a "better" place and not everyone will have spaces.

In clearing what they will do is ask if you are in clearing, if yes then they will ask you to refer yourself via UCAS to the course they are offering you. But as previous poster has said speed and preparedness is key, many clearing offers are 24 hours at most as the Universities are businesses and not really wanting to waste time as people spend days shopping around, they need to fill and close their courses and move on.
vampiregirl
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Vinnygillan)
I believe, and correct me anyone if im wrong, that if you get the grades for your first choice offer you have to accept it. If its your insurance then i think you would be allowed to go into clearing but you would have to phone the university and then tell them to release you.

Clearing is the spare places university's have because not enough students have got the grades to get into that uni. Newspapers such as the independent publish the clearing places.

What i've done is gone through all the university's in the country where i would like to go to and got the entry requirements for each of them and the contact details of the admissions office so if i dont get into my first choice (please god PLEASE) then im more than well prepared for the clearing aspect of it.

Oh yeah its first come first serve. My friend was seconds away from getting a place at university and then the woman on the phone was like, oh unlucky the place has just gone so you need to be fast and well prepared.
But what if I was rejected by that University. I was a student at King's last year (did Computer Science with Management) but dropped out because I wanted to do only Management or any non-sciencey course. By the time I could re-apply again it was December and even though I had the grades, I got rejected (BM is so popular and all!) and I had no choice but to firm QM.
I feel like I'm compromising. King's is such an amazing institution. QM is too but Mile End didn't seem very safe to me and I'm not gonna be living in the halls.
What do i do?
I feel like I'm not gonna enjoy College AT ALL!
vampiregirl
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Cyborgasm)
You do not have to accept your first offer, if they accept you and you do not whant to go ask them to release you into clearing.

Best to do this after you have telephoned around and found a "better" place and not everyone will have spaces.

In clearing what they will do is ask if you are in clearing, if yes then they will ask you to refer yourself via UCAS to the course they are offering you. But as previous poster has said speed and preparedness is key, many clearing offers are 24 hours at most as the Universities are businesses and not really wanting to waste time as people spend days shopping around, they need to fill and close their courses and move on.
So there's no hope?
I'm obviously not gonna ask QM to "release" me before Clearing begins because if I don't get a place at King's, I loose what I already have too. Which is bad.
I already took a gap year and I cannot afford to take another one.
Seriously, am I the only one with this kinda problem?!
aeterno
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You can ask them to release you when you get your results. But make sure the course is available at wherever you want to go first. Contact them directly and see if they would consider your application, if yes, then you can ask to be released by your firm.
Cariie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by vampiregirl)
So there's no hope?
Was management at King's in Clearing last year? I don't mean to put a downer on the idea, but like you say it is a popular course and there's no guarantee that it will even be available :/
Cyborgasm
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
So there's no hope?
I'm obviously not gonna ask QM to "release" me before Clearing begins because if I don't get a place at King's, I loose what I already have too. Which is bad.
I already took a gap year and I cannot afford to take another one.
Seriously, am I the only one with this kinda problem?!
Not sure why you interpret as no hope, nobody really knows the position until Sunday, and no one can alter the position until Thursday.

Just telephone the institutions you now fancy and see if they have places and will accept you, if yes they will usually give you an offer with a deadline to accept by. Be wary of ones that want it doing now, that is not a professional way to act, this is a big decision and you need time. If they are pressuring you ask yourself what will they be like when I get there.

If there is a place and they are willing to offer it then phone QM to release you, they will. If the drag their feet, some do, just phone the original place and tell them, the admission team have special numbers to resolve these things quickly. Once released refer yourself from UCAS and the new university making the offer will accept you.
vampiregirl
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Cariie)
Was management at King's in Clearing last year? I don't mean to put a downer on the idea, but like you say it is a popular course and there's no guarantee that it will even be available :/
Yes, I know. I don't expect it to be, but I'm fine with French, Classics and Literature too.
As long as it's King's.
Leaving that aside, is QM a good school to go to?
People have such bad opinions about it.
I'm an International student, btw.
lizolove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Queen Mary is a great university, and if you meet your requirements, you must go there.
Unfortunately, clearing works in a way that it posts 'free places' of courses that have not enough subscribers. So, I HIGHLY doubt that Kings will be in it.

If you wanted to check, you'd have to drop out of your firm to even be entered, but for most, the deadline to do so was 2 days ago.
IF you want to go to the university, you can contact them and ask if they have spare places, however, this is unlikely, so you could just do 1 year at Queen Mary and then transfer to Kings in the second year to avoid risen fees.

PM for any questions, hope I helped, good luck! x
vampiregirl
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Cyborgasm)
Not sure why you interpret as no hope, nobody really knows the position until Sunday, and no one can alter the position until Thursday.

Just telephone the institutions you now fancy and see if they have places and will accept you, if yes they will usually give you an offer with a deadline to accept by. Be wary of ones that want it doing now, that is not a professional way to act, this is a big decision and you need time. If they are pressuring you ask yourself what will they be like when I get there.

If there is a place and they are willing to offer it then phone QM to release you, they will. If the drag their feet, some do, just phone the original place and tell them, the admission team have special numbers to resolve these things quickly. Once released refer yourself from UCAS and the new university making the offer will accept you.
Wow!
Thanks mate!
One last thing, if they do offer me a place, it's not guaranteed right? Does this mean that by the time QM withdraws my offer, there are chances that King's might give the place away to somebody else?
The withdrawal thing takes time, I heard.
Cariie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes, I know. I don't expect it to be, but I'm fine with French, Classics and Literature too.
As long as it's King's.
Leaving that aside, is QM a good school to go to?
People have such bad opinions about it.
I'm an International student, btw.
Nothing wrong with QM as far as I know! Didn't you get a chance to visit it? You could always see if King's will let you do a second year entry after a year at QM, not that I'm an expert on that and not all uni's let you do it! You might even like it at QM

As far as I know though if King's is in Clearing for the courses you want you can probably give it a shot and just asked to be released from QM if you're successful in getting a Clearing place at King's. I just know that King's is one that doesn't normally have many Clearing places, so I wouldn't put all your hopes on that plan!
jetsy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Guys please help me. I have a firm and insurance but have now decided that it would be better to go to my insuarance so how does it work. Do i phone my firm and say can you release me
Becca-Sarah
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If King's is in Clearing (note the if; it is extremely unlikely), then they will not discuss offering you a place unless you can give them your Clearing number, which you won't have until QMUL have released you, which will not happen instantly. You cannot hang on to your QMUL place whilst trying for a King's place.

QMUL is a good university and I think you need to decide what means more to you - going to Kings, or going to University this September.
vampiregirl
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thank you all!
I'm going for Queen Mary.
*fingers crossed*
TheSownRose
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jetsy)
Guys please help me. I have a firm and insurance but have now decided that it would be better to go to my insuarance so how does it work. Do i phone my firm and say can you release me
Unless you can somehow get admissions tutors from both universities to talk to you on Monday, which is highly unlikely as they're are going to be busy processing results, you'll have to take the following approach (assuming you don't miss your firm anyway):

1. Talk to your insurance on results day and ask if they would accept you in Clearing.

2. If they will, talk to your firm and ask them to release you.

3. Apply to your insurance in Clearing.
Oh my Ms. Coffey
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Any tips for requesting to change course? I have a few questions.
TheSownRose
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey)
Any tips for requesting to change course? I have a few questions.
Why don't you ask the questions first and get answers for those?

General, best tip I can give: sound confident and have good reasons that you express confidently.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (83)
25.94%
No (237)
74.06%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise