Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by itzme)
    when my english was not good enough, I used to think that 'blow job' and 'blow dry' were one and the same thing. I am just glad I realised my mistake before going to the hairdresser and asking for a 'blow job'!!!
    In Germany, instead of saying the soap is 'hand-made', some Lush shops have in the window "Get hand jobs here!" :rofl:

(Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    For all your mondegreen queries:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mondegreen
    My teddy bear as a child was called Gladly, because my mother suggested it. Many years later, she explained why. There's a hymn called 'Gladly the cross I'd bear', which became 'Gladly the cross-eyed bear.' I think it was part of the plot of some film she'd seen. Anyway, it gets a mention in the mondegreen article above, along with some classics like Jimi Hendrix's 'Scuse me while I kiss this guy.'
    I remember the first time I read that :rofl: :rofl:

(Original post by Bella_trixxx)
    I love this thread!
    When my mum told me that Captain Kirk was going to be killed off in Star Trek, I was genuinely sad and impressed, because I thought that meant they were going to actually kill the actor and he was so dedicated to the show he was prepared to die for it! Strange mind...
    When I was little I thought Titanic was a documentary and wondered how the camera crew managed to film the ship sinking :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    I remember the first time I read that :rofl: :rofl:
    Enjoy the website:
    http://www.kissthisguy.com/

ReputationRep:
    Enjoy the website:
    Me and my friends used to constantly be on that website in our ICT lessons in year 8/9, ah, memories :lol:

(Original post by philistine)
    When people say 'pressurised' instead of 'pressured'. Although pressurised may be acceptable vernacular (not too sure, though considering its wide usage...), it is indeed incorrect in the strictest sense.

Exempli gratia (that's e.g, aye!):

My family have been pressurising me into studying classics at university.

No.
    omgggggggggg

We should totally get married

WHY DOES NO ONE KNOW THE DIFFERENCE??!!

Air is pressurised. People are pressured. People are also stupid beyond belief.

It shouldn't pass into acceptable vernacular. Why does language evolve to accommodate uneducated people?!

As Oscar Wilde said, the public need to become more cultured, culture should not dumb down for the public :rolleyes: (OK I'm paraphrasing but still)

Enjoy the website:
    ................................ ...

I love you.

God knows what time I'll get to bed at. I LOVE misheard lyrics :rofl2:

ReputationRep:
    Generally and Genuinely.

"I generally didn't know that Delilah was your middle name!!!1!!dhdbcfhj"

**** off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    ................................ ...

I love you.

God knows what time I'll get to bed at. I LOVE misheard lyrics :rofl2:
    I'm awaiting the end of an auction on ebay. We all have our sleep avoidance tactics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noirla)
    lol nope its not in Birmingham. The one I'm on about has been converted to something a bit less seedy I think!

How on earth would you know where the last one in the whole of the UK would be? And I should hope they ALL have blacked out windows!
    There are only ten- four in London, four in the midlands, one in Huddersfield and one in Brighton. Taboo, Amsterdam, Adultworld, Foxy Lady, Fantasy Video, Oscars, Abcat, Soho Cinema, Empire X, forgot the Brighton name.

None of them can be seen into but some have blinds, or just a plain door. And only four of the ten have a shop.

One was converted to a vodka bar on Oxford Road Manchester a few years ago, used to be called VIP.

I'm awaiting the end of an auction on ebay. We all have our sleep avoidance tactics.
    What are you buying? :ninja:

lol my flatmates can probably hear me laughing my ass off in here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScheduleII)
    There are only ten- four in London, four in the midlands, one in Huddersfield and one in Brighton. Taboo, Amsterdam, Adultworld, Foxy Lady, Fantasy Video, Oscars, Abcat, Soho Cinema, Empire X, forgot the Brighton name.

None of them can be seen into but some have blinds, or just a plain door. And only four of the ten have a shop.

One was converted to a vodka bar on Oxford Road Manchester a few years ago, used to be called VIP.
    And to think I made my comment above in jest....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KlaireDelilah)
    Generally and Genuinely.

"I generally didn't know that Delilah was your middle name!!!1!!dhdbcfhj"

**** off.
    I know someone who does that on so many of her facebook statuses, it's so tempting to correct....but I'd feel like an arse if I did lol.

So stupid but when I was little I used to get really confused about "taking over" and " over taking" cars ....foolish child lol.

ReputationRep:
    Because of the show, The Flintstones, I used to think that the world was like cartoons back in the day.

I thought that most shows that weren't cartoons were actually made by filming real incidences.

I was one stupid child...

ReputationRep:
    I thought Sony Ericsson was Sony Excretion.
    And was then told what Excretion meant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    Today I found out it's not 'just desserts' but rather 'just deserts'.

de·sert The state or fact of deserving reward or punishment.

As it's Halloween I must mention I used to think 'trick or treat' was 'trickle treat'

What about when fans at football matches see themselves on the big screen and by default wave at it, as oppossed to the camera. lol
    Oh. My. God. I could have carried on my entire life not knowing this. Now I question all I know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss_Scarlett)
    I know someone who does that on so many of her facebook statuses, it's so tempting to correct....but I'd feel like an arse if I did lol.

So stupid but when I was little I used to get really confused about "taking over" and " over taking" cars ....foolish child lol.
    I've started doing it to the one girl irl. It kinda just slips out though, and then I feel like a **** after.. haha

ReputationRep:
    Alexander Bell DID NOT invent the telephone...

ReputationRep:
    When I was in primary school I mistook "ramadam" for "Rotterdam", which I knew from the song...embarrassment ensued o_O

(Original post by stifa)
    Because of the show, The Flintstones, I used to think that the world was like cartoons back in the day.

I thought that most shows that weren't cartoons were actually made by filming real incidences.

I was one stupid child...
    Me too :indiff: Especially 'Kenan and Kel'

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.