Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingGoonIan)
    I bet at your division your leaders were a bunch of a ego-freaks, a lot of them types seem to exist in SJA unfortunately.
    Most deffo :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I have volunteered with a University division but I have not been to Uni yet (start in Sep). You will be able to do duties at your leisure and should not be under any pressure to do duties so don't worry about that. You definitely don't need to be a driver.

Any more questions?
    Thanks for reply! I don't think so, very excited to get started It will be so useful to have first aid under my belt. Dumb question, but the training is free isn't it? And I certainly can't wait to be helping out. Didn't volunteer anywhere in the first year, grrr.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buchanan700)
    Thanks for reply! I don't think so, very excited to get started It will be so useful to have first aid under my belt. Dumb question, but the training is free isn't it? And I certainly can't wait to be helping out. Didn't volunteer anywhere in the first year, grrr.
    The training is free yes and you'll probably discover a bunch of other freebies throughout your SJA career. At the Uni division I helped out with we got free soft drink refills all night and 2 free meal vouchers

ReputationRep:
    Although I work in London and an SJA unit is only round the corner from where I currently work; I am not a member of a London division so can't really comment. However I'm sure this was just a one off incident and isn't reflective of the majority of London SJA members
    I certainly hope so. Which division are you in, just out of curiosity?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThisaraD)
    I certainly hope so. Which division are you in, just out of curiosity?
    Spelthorne.

By work I mean where I actually work (not with St John).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThisaraD)
    Am I the only one getting incredibly irksome at the way that the LONDON DISTRICT are acting like complete idiots?

Just over a week ago, someone who has been a member for over 10 years was moaned at because he hadn't completed his new "First Aider" sheet proficiency crap, even though he revalidated in October.

Please tell me why the hell they're acting like morons?
    Oh I don't know, perhaps because without proof of people's competency SJA couldn't get insurance and wouldn't pass the due diligence of many of our customers ...

once again the amateurs and TIGERs have ruined it for everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone If i can be a community responder if i ride a Motorbike, By that i mean a proper bike not a motorped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrbobby)
    Does anyone If i can be a community responder if i ride a Motorbike, By that i mean a proper bike not a motorped.
    that may depend on the contract with the NHS ambulance service you will be responding for , as thanks to some walter mitty types there are schemes who are not allowed to use push bikes they are only allowed to use cars or walk / run .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    that may depend on the contract with the NHS ambulance service you will be responding for , as thanks to some walter mitty types there are schemes who are not allowed to use push bikes they are only allowed to use cars or walk / run .
    no, I mean A motorbike, Like Honda.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrbobby)
    no, I mean A motorbike, Like Honda.
    do you have problems with understanding the following statements ?

1. I twill depend on the contract with the NHS service

2."they can only respond in cars or on foot " with respect to a scheme where people spoiling it by responding on marked up pushbikes caused an issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    do you have problems with understanding the following statements ?
    Seemed a rather sarcastic response there martyn? In your reply you did mention push bikes, hence why the poster felt the need to clarify.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my Wildfire S

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carl_senior)
    Seemed a rather sarcastic response there martyn? In your reply you did mention push bikes, hence why the poster felt the need to clarify.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my Wildfire S
    sorry CFRs and bikes have an instinctive reaction among people who have been in SWY for a while, thanks to a previous exploit of everyone' s favourite ASBO holder ... ( the ASBO along with some other criminal convictions was for lights and noise on his own car ) he was also thrown out of a CFR scheme in his home village for riding a marked up bike belonging to another organisation which is fond of misusing the NHS logo ...

ReputationRep:
    Name:  KS125-24.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  88.6 KB Just thought I need to show what bike I have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by This Honest)
    8 months I had to wait for my ID card till I decided it wasn't worth staying at St John so I quit :dry: As a result, I went on 0 duties, guys were very strict about having an ID card when on duty
    Stupid admin is so fudged up. Hate it.
    yh well I think i'm quitting before they even reply to my damn APPLICATION! It's been four months and they have said nothing!

ReputationRep:
    Used my first aid skills outside of St John today at work

ReputationRep:
    Hi I was wondering if someone could help? I applied for a first aider role for a specific unit (won't name it here). They quickly responded, and soon after I completed all the training. This was in April. Since then they sent several emails and said that there will be a meeting within 2 weeks, they've done this 3 times and each time a date hasn't been set up. Last time I had an email from them was late June. I emailed them several times with no response. Not quite sure what to do now. Is this their way of saying that they have enough volunteers. Just a bit unsure. The specific events I'm supposed to be volunteering for takes place very soon. (less than 2 wks). I'm not sure if I should try phoning them up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherriesxo)
    Hi I was wondering if someone could help? I applied for a first aider role for a specific unit (won't name it here). They quickly responded, and soon after I completed all the training. This was in April. Since then they sent several emails and said that there will be a meeting within 2 weeks, they've done this 3 times and each time a date hasn't been set up. Last time I had an email from them was late June. I emailed them several times with no response. Not quite sure what to do now. Is this their way of saying that they have enough volunteers. Just a bit unsure. The specific events I'm supposed to be volunteering for takes place very soon. (less than 2 wks). I'm not sure if I should try phoning them up.

it means the unit is none compliant with the joining processes , i'd suggest reapplying via county / district / regional officer .

ReputationRep:
    Used my first aid skills outside of St John today at work
    Anything interesting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carl_senior)
    Anything interesting?
    Not really just felt great afterwards because my colleagues were impressed and the casualty was extremely grateful.

Been working for a cycle lock company outside Buckingham Palace for two weeks and this lady was by the finish line of the speed walking and she was so happy for the winner that she jumped about a little too much and hurt her foot. I cleaned it and bandaged it for her.

ReputationRep:
    So no one did any Olympic duties then?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.