Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sejanus)
    Nope, I'm really old and have been at Trinity ages (5 years in fact)!
    I was just interested as I don't think there are any first year asnacs at Trinity this year, so it's good to see that they are actually taking some students for next year.
    The asnac department is really nice and friendly, so there is definitely room for lots of partying!

Nifty! Everything I read about the department makes it sound like it's definitely the place to be, academically and socially.
    I think I'm the only asnac fresher for trinity this year--I haven't found any others. I'm guessing you're an asnac too? What are your studies focused on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ussferox)
    Nifty! Everything I read about the department makes it sound like it's definitely the place to be, academically and socially.
    I think I'm the only asnac fresher for trinity this year--I haven't found any others. I'm guessing you're an asnac too? What are your studies focused on?
    Sorry, I'm being a bit misleading! I'm actually a historian, but I hang out with the asnac grad students quite alot as my boyfriend is an asnac PhD student Everyone is still really welcoming and doesn't mind me gatecrashing asnac pub even though I'm not in the department.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sejanus)
    Sorry, I'm being a bit misleading! I'm actually a historian, but I hang out with the asnac grad students quite alot as my boyfriend is an asnac PhD student Everyone is still really welcoming and doesn't mind me gatecrashing asnac pub even though I'm not in the department.
    Ahh okay. Well that's cool anyway. Is there anything about the asnac department or really about Cambridge in general that I should be wary of?

ReputationRep:
    Ahh okay. Well that's cool anyway. Is there anything about the asnac department or really about Cambridge in general that I should be wary of?
    Nothing that comes to mind straight away, though if you have any particular questions, especially about Cambridge in general, I would be happy to try to answer them.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone not sent their photo for their card in yet? Trying to decide if I'm late or not (I forgot they asked for it).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    Anyone not sent their photo for their card in yet? Trying to decide if I'm late or not (I forgot they asked for it).
    Sheet.

ReputationRep:
    I've just got a letter today about accommodation, and since the boundaries on the categories are fairly vague, I'd like to ask some questions.

The way it's split up is into high, middle and low price bands. I presume that the higher band would be mostly en-suite rooms (which I personally don't want). Would the middle band be the rest of the Wolfson Building rooms, and the lower band Angel Court?

On the open day, they showed up a room in the Wolfson Building, but not in Angel Court. How do the Angel Court rooms compare?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tempeststurm)
    I've just got a letter today about accommodation, and since the boundaries on the categories are fairly vague, I'd like to ask some questions.

The way it's split up is into high, middle and low price bands. I presume that the higher band would be mostly en-suite rooms (which I personally don't want). Would the middle band be the rest of the Wolfson Building rooms, and the lower band Angel Court?

On the open day, they showed up a room in the Wolfson Building, but not in Angel Court. How do the Angel Court rooms compare?
    The Angel Court rooms are more basic and lack ensuite facilities. Some of the rooms are also placed directly above some of the stores and the loading lorries can cause noise during the evening. So if you really must avoid this, go for the higher price bracket.

ReputationRep:
    The Angel Court rooms are not very nice. Angel Court B is the lower price bracket, and Angel Court C is better, I think.

Some high rooms don't have en suites, and some medium rooms do. You could put in a special request not to have an en suite, but it seems a little bizarre to me that you wouldn't want one when you might be able to get a room with one for cheaper than one without.

I have a 'high' room, and the cost is ~£800/term, which leaves more than enough money left from my loans - indeed I've saved over £2,000 from them. I wouldn't worry too much about asking for a high room; the cost difference really isn't that much but the quality difference is drastic.

Good luck getting the grades .

ReputationRep:
    So how common is it to have a roommate at Trinity?

ReputationRep:
    So how common is it to have a roommate at Trinity?
    Nobody has a roommate in first year. In later years you may choose to get what's called a 'double' with someone, which is basically a shared living room (and possibly bathroom) with separate bedrooms, but again this is entirely optional. Grads don't have roommates either... unless they live in married accommodation, I assume!

ReputationRep:
    Got my accomodation today - anyone else? Didn't get an ensuite, which I'd wanted, but oh well. Can anyone tell me a bit about Blue Boar?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IndigoNights)
    Got my accomodation today - anyone else? Didn't get an ensuite, which I'd wanted, but oh well. Can anyone tell me a bit about Blue Boar?
    Depends which Blue Boar you're in . If you're in Blue Boar P, you'll be on my staircase, which means you'll get to meet me! Whether that's good or not remains for you to decide :p: ... I really liked Blue Boar P last year - the bedders are AMAZING, really nice ladies, the bathrooms are nice, and it's quiet for most of the night (they do a glass recycling thing around 2am each night but you'd hear that from Wolfson and Blue Boar I/O too!)

Blue Boar I is quite fiddly - it's out of the way, and the stairs in there are quite interesting to say the least. I only saw in one room briefly, but it looked nice enough. Can't comment on the bathrooms.

Blue Boar O is... Well ;\ , I knew a couple of Blue Boar O people this year just gone, and the bathrooms were a real mess. Tiny, and also one of the toilets didn't flush, and another of them had a seat that doesn't stay up, so it's not ideal to use if you're male. The room was nice enough, and it's quite a cosy staircase (you have to go down a few steps to get there from the main plateau).

I don't think first years are in any Blue Boars except I, O and P, so hopefully that's got you covered !

Great job on making your offer see you in October, perhaps!

ReputationRep:
    To add to the above - Blue Boar I seems very nice, has some very large rooms and nice kitchens. Don't know about the shared bathroom situation there. I didn't think O was that bad, the rooms themselves are quite nice...

ETA: if any wants pictures of Trinity rooms, I can provide links (if there are pictures of your room available).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IndigoNights)
    I did as well. I am ensuite in the Wolfson Building :woo: from the list of items in my room it must be fairly large. Is this the case for most rooms in Wolfson?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Liana*)
    To add to the above - Blue Boar I seems very nice, has some very large rooms and nice kitchens. Don't know about the shared bathroom situation there. I didn't think O was that bad, the rooms themselves are quite nice...
    Yeah, the rooms in Blue Boar O are fine . To add to the kitchen comment - there are no ovens in Blue Boar P, not sure if there are in Blue Boar I or Blue Boar O. I know for sure that there are ovens in Wolfson, so make a friend there so you can use their oven :p: ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It could be lupus)
    I did as well. I am ensuite in the Wolfson Building :woo: from the list of items in my room it must be fairly large. Is this the case for most rooms in Wolfson?
    The Wolfson rooms are a good size, yes . Good exercise too with all the stairs unless you use the lift ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simba)
    The Wolfson rooms are a good size, yes . Good exercise too with all the stairs unless you use the lift ...
    Thats good. Cannot beleive my luck getting ensuite when I only picked medium band accomodation. Lots of stairs sounds bad if you have had a bit too much to drink. Lift it will be in them cases :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simba)
    Yeah, the rooms in Blue Boar O are fine . To add to the kitchen comment - there are no ovens in Blue Boar P, not sure if there are in Blue Boar I or Blue Boar O. I know for sure that there are ovens in Wolfson, so make a friend there so you can use their oven :p: ...
    There are ovens in I... I've never been in an O kitchen but I think there aren't ovens there.

The Wolfson rooms are a good size, yes . Good exercise too with all the stairs unless you use the lift
    I'm scared of the lift.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Liana*)
    I'm scared of the lift.
    Yeah, I'm scared of the Wolfson lift too, especially considering all the problems it has, and the fact it dropped two floors randomly with a guy I know inside :eek: ... I don't use lifts at all, terrified of them.

(Original post by It could be lupus)
    Thats good. Cannot beleive my luck getting ensuite when I only picked medium band accomodation. Lots of stairs sounds bad if you have had a bit too much to drink. Lift it will be in them cases :p:
    Well, actually, a fair number of the 'high' band rooms are not en suite .

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.