Turn on thread page Beta
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by GapYearMedic)
    I wonder if anyone can tell me what a 'legally certified copy' of my qualifications is and how I could get one? My college is asking for it
    Your GCSE/A-level certificates. Or any other relevant certificates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Your GCSE/A-level certificates. Or any other relevant certificates.
    But what does legally certified copy mean? Surely I should bring a copy of them and not the original ones? (Unless they send them back father looking at them)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    But what does legally certified copy mean? Surely I should bring a copy of them and not the original ones? (Unless they send them back father looking at them)
    Certificates are legally certified. That's what the point of them is. That's why they exist

But a copy is probably a good idea rather than originals yes.

ReputationRep:
    Certificates are legally certified. That's what the point of them is. That's why they exist

But a copy is probably a good idea rather than originals yes.
    But does the copy have to have some kind of certification that it is a true copy of the certificate?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    But does the copy have to have some kind of certification that it is a true copy of the certificate?
    If you're concerned, reply to them to ask if a photocopy is acceptable. Or better yet, a scan. I'm sure it will be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vicki0987)
    I got a letter on the 11th but I still haven't got an email... My college is Trinity?
    I just checked on the Pembroke admissions page on facebook and it says "We will email decisions on request but due to the large volume of requests, we will prioritise candidates with overseas addresses as they are unlikely to receive the post until next week."

I just assumed they'd email everyone on the 11th Trinity college might have done the same

ReputationRep:
    ought i have maths to either as or a2? im doing biology, chemistry, philosophy and history; do i stand any chance for entry into medicine at oxford without maths at either level? .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMouseyS)
    do i stand any chance for entry into medicine at oxford without maths at either level? .
    Yes. I dropped Maths after GCSE and now have an offer.
    A word of advice though - try not to forget all your maths and/or give yourself extra time to prepare for the BMAT because section 2 is quite maths-based
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    ought i have maths to either as or a2? im doing biology, chemistry, philosophy and history; do i stand any chance for entry into medicine at oxford without maths at either level? .
    There is no advantage to having maths.

ReputationRep:
    Unconditional Offer from St. Anne's

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have a quick question is the % of A* looked at rather than number when comes down to scoring? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    It is not necessary but will be useful for BMAT.
    Also definitely be practised for some mental maths in your interview I remember having to do things like the hardy-weinburg principle without a calculator and also asked how you would make a graph into a sigmoid shape curve (logarithms) so just make sure you are prepared to be asked some things which will need maths!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Corvus)
    Hi, I have a quick question is the % of A* looked at rather than number when comes down to scoring? Thanks
    Yes it is % but don't despair if yours isn't 100% i got in with about 65...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sjwilsonn)
    Thanks, do the college you apply to affect your chances of getting into the course? Some big colleges tend to attract more tougher applicants.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    It is not necessary but will be useful for BMAT.
    I used to think this, but actually there is no evidence to suggest that. Those with maths don't do noticeably better in Oxford applications than those without.

Also definitely be practised for some mental maths in your interview I remember having to do things like the hardy-weinburg principle without a calculator and also asked how you would make a graph into a sigmoid shape curve (logarithms) so just make sure you are prepared to be asked some things which will need maths!
    They expect your competence to be in line with what you have done, though. They would expect less maths if you don't have maths, they would expect less from your biology if you don't have biology, etc. Again, those with maths don't do any better than those without overall.

Congratulations. You're one of very few!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Corvus)
    Thanks, do the college you apply to affect your chances of getting into the course? Some big colleges tend to attract more tougher applicants.
    a) you have no idea whether that is true or not, and b) the pooling system is effective in re-allocating students that deserve to get in but can't get into their chosen college. About a third of applications are re-allocated to ensure fairness.

ReputationRep:
    I used to think this, but actually there is no evidence to suggest that. Those with maths don't do noticeably better in Oxford applications than those without.

They expect your competence to be in line with what you have done, though. They would expect less maths if you don't have maths, they would expect less from your biology if you don't have biology, etc. Again, those with maths don't do any better than those without overall.

Congratulations. You're one of very few!
    I didn't realise that was the case but the logical problem solving in maths would be useful and is not really practiced in any other subject.
    Yes that does make sense i remember them clarifying what i did at te start of the interview.
    And thank you i really didn't think i had a chance when i applied...

ReputationRep:
    a) you have no idea whether that is true or not, and b) the pooling system is effective in re-allocating students that deserve to get in but can't get into their chosen college. About a third of applications are re-allocated to ensure fairness.
    Thanks for clearing my misconception.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I just came across this thread and I was wondering if you could help me?

At my old school, comparatively, I did well at GCSE - 5A*'s, 1A* in a diploma course in ICT (not sure of it's title?), an A*A* in Music BTec Level 2, and an A in additional maths. However, I now go to a grammar school and most of the people there have about 10A*'s at GCSE that want to do medicine.
    Anyway, is there any point in me applying to Oxford with my GCSEs?
    Other than that my application would be strong - I am predicted 4 A's for AS level (bio, chem, physics, maths) and am also completing a pre-university course that is the equivalent to an A level. Next year I will also be doing AS/A2 further maths.
    I am a volunteer at a disability home and have completed work experience within a hospital. I have more work experience lined up for a GP and possibly another hospital. I am also ready to start volunteering at my local hospital after I turn 17.
    I have also done some BMAT papers and have generally done well in them.

Thank you for your help!!!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by hallie.m)
    Hi, I just came across this thread and I was wondering if you could help me?

At my old school, comparatively, I did well at GCSE - 5A*'s, 1A* in a diploma course in ICT (not sure of it's title?), an A*A* in Music BTec Level 2, and an A in additional maths. However, I now go to a grammar school and most of the people there have about 10A*'s at GCSE that want to do medicine.
    Anyway, is there any point in me applying to Oxford with my GCSEs?
    Other than that my application would be strong - I am predicted 4 A's for AS level (bio, chem, physics, maths) and am also completing a pre-university course that is the equivalent to an A level. Next year I will also be doing AS/A2 further maths.
    I am a volunteer at a disability home and have completed work experience within a hospital. I have more work experience lined up for a GP and possibly another hospital. I am also ready to start volunteering at my local hospital after I turn 17.
    I have also done some BMAT papers and have generally done well in them.

Thank you for your help!!!
    Its a little bit inclear how GCSEs are going to be scored next year. For the first time they are going to take account of the number taken, which for years they had avoided because of people like yourself who do only a handful of true GCSEs then a mix of other courses too. You'd hope that to compensate, they would pay more attention to BTECs etc, but its not entirely clear.

Overall i'd say there is no reason why you shouldn't put in an application though. The BMAT is key - do well in that and you're setting yourself up for an interview nicely.

BTW, further maths is not accepted at most unis for medicine. Oxford is an exception, but don't feel that you are gaining an advantage by doing it as a 5th subject - you aren't. But if you want to do it anyway, go ahead. I did.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 25, 2014

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
Poll
Are you chained to your phone?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.