Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morgsie)
    About time the EU got it, my main issue is the timing
    I think it should have been given to one of the founders or someone senior in the EU as a representative, or maybe shared between a couple of people.

Does it mean I can go to the ceremony when it's awarded?

ReputationRep:
    Oh man pies are so good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidmarsh01)
    I didn't realise you got bovril at English football. Do you get proper scotch pies? I've also heard that you get stuff like hot dogs, and if you're lucky a steak pie, not a proper scotch pie.

Nope, I support Partick Thistle. My dad's from Glasgow, and didn't want to support one of the old firm.
    You can get hot dogs and Bovril at Underhill (Barnet's home ground), and now you can see a 'Pitbull' too, as Edgar Davids has joined the club.

ReputationRep:
    Barnet stadium is fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moleman1996)
    Sometimes do, depends if they think they can make enough of a profit on it :P

Our stadiums are just filled with Pukka pies, so I have no idea where you stand on them and how close to scotch pies they are :P But yeah, we do get hot dogs, and there are always pies in northern stadiums but ive heard rumoours that they're now absent in some southern stadiums
    The bovril at Hampden at the Olympics had the "Bovril" part taped over with black duct tape, because it's a brand name, and to do with the Olympic advertising, leaving only "beefy drink" :lol:

We get hot dogs and all that too, but I've heard that hot dogs and pizzas and other assorted similar food are the only food available at some English grounds. I couldn't really imagine not having a scotch pie and a bovril at the football!

Well, so I lost my job but I'm not too concerned. It was a temporary contract for an agency and I had a good 6 months working there. The agency were confident they could find me another job on Monday and I'm confident I'll find something else next week too.

The worst thing is having my head full of RAC knowledge I will never, ever need again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norfolkadam)
    Well, so I lost my job but I'm not too concerned. It was a temporary contract for an agency and I had a good 6 months working there. The agency were confident they could find me another job on Monday and I'm confident I'll find something else next week too.

The worst thing is having my head full of RAC knowledge I will never, ever need again.
    Unless aliens attack and threaten to incinerate the Earth unless someone teaches them everything there is to know about the RAC. Keep that in mind and don't you dare forget any of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    I am so old and so unaccomplished :emo:
    I'll fetch you your flat cap and a werthers original.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by ukip72)
    By which I mean when the EU takes control of national budgets. :rolleyes:
    Yes... really. :rolleyes:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by davidmarsh01)
    The bovril at Hampden at the Olympics had the "Bovril" part taped over with black duct tape, because it's a brand name, and to do with the Olympic advertising, leaving only "beefy drink" :lol:

We get hot dogs and all that too, but I've heard that hot dogs and pizzas and other assorted similar food are the only food available at some English grounds. I couldn't really imagine not having a scotch pie and a bovril at the football!
    Food options in English grounds usually boil down to Hot Dog, Burger or just a generic pie which tastes of very little besides Hot. Don't think I've seen a proper pie at a football ground in a long time.

(Original post by Alofleicester)
    Food options in English grounds usually boil down to Hot Dog, Burger or just a generic pie which tastes of very little besides Hot. Don't think I've seen a proper pie at a football ground in a long time.
    Pies nowadays are just filled with potatoes. No meat or anyhting like that

ReputationRep:
    Bloody hell this moves quickly. Just spotted there's a new bar and already almost 500 posts. Well, I guess I have the obligatory turn at ordering a drink. A J&T please.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please explain what de facto and de jure means?

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please explain what de facto and de jure means?
    De jure is in effect a decision made by the courts (so the supreme courts decides that segregation is unconstituional is a de jure decision). While de facto is a law made by the government/congress/parliament.

Typically De facto is followed closer than De Jure (look at American Civil Rights' cases and you'll see).

ReputationRep:
    I keep coming across those terms and it was bugging me.

ReputationRep:
    I keep coming across those terms and it was bugging me.

No Problem. Its part of my History Course at A-Level at the moment. So I'm not complaining.

ReputationRep:
    Outside of the context of courts, it can be used to represent a dichotomy of political reality.

E.g. Vichy France was De Jure outside of the influence of the Third Reich, but was de facto controlled by them, et.c

ReputationRep:
    Those terms appear in Law and Politics aswell.

I kept seeing those terms for years but did not know what they mean

ReputationRep:
    De facto is in practice, de jure is in law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_facto - this is quite clear.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_jure - or here.

ReputationRep:
    If only there were sort of mechanism to scan (or perhaps search) a large volume of information (Some sort of engine, in effect). It could then be used to search a large repository of all the collected human knowledge spread amongst computers around the world. A sort of web of interlinked ideas.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.