Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Anti-Americanism watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    Why would Americans want go to another country when they can travel thousands of miles in any direction and still be in the US?
    Experience different things?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allymcb2)
    I can travel thousands of miles and still be in Europe. Never the less I have chosen to visit Australia, and America, and have aspirations to visit many other places which are not in Europe, because it would allow me to see a wide range of different cultures that we do not have in Europe. I find it astonishing that in the wealthiest nation there is, only 40% have the intellectual curiosity to do that.
    Is someone who doesn't want to visit other countries automatically dumb?

(Original post by Lawz-)
    Experience different things?
    America has just about every type of geography and people. There's probably nearly as many differences between New Yorkers and Texans as there are between the British and the French.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree. They all speak a common language. They were all on the same side in international wars (if they were fighting). Many share a deep sense of pride about america-if you can find me a full blooded frenchman who is proud of England, I will give you £50. In certain aspects of law they will have a common legal system. They sit the same qualifications and entrance exams-therefore reading the same or similar historical, philosophical, and american literature. They will also mostly all listen to music with lyrics in english. Their culinary achievements will be more shared. To say we are so near, the english actually eat more american food than french, even though we do write our menus in french.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djchak)
    Yes, you shold re -read the original article carefully. It seems like you just browsed through it and did not pick up on some major points about the treatment of this lady.

When you think about it, it's really nothing unusual. This woman probably started out as an enthusiastic anglophile...and we all see where it ended.
    If you read it you'd find she didn't give up her business as you said she did, you should be able to interpret that she went home temporarily to see her mates at home...

ReputationRep:
    I disagree. They all speak a common language. They were all on the same side in international wars (if they were fighting). Many share a deep sense of pride about america-if you can find me a full blooded frenchman who is proud of England, I will give you £50. In certain aspects of law they will have a common legal system. They sit the same qualifications and entrance exams-therefore reading the same or similar historical, philosophical, and american literature. They will also mostly all listen to music with lyrics in english. Their culinary achievements will be more shared. To say we are so near, the english actually eat more american food than french, even though we do write our menus in french.
    Last time I checked, America, and Australia had the same language as Britain, so if those are the only countries you've visited outside of Europe, then you're as "dumb" as Americans. You'll find that many southerners have more pride in the Confederacy (the pro-slavery side in the Civil War) than they do in the US. The education system is different from state to state, and in many cases, even from city to city. There are no entrance exams. And Brits listen to roughly the same music in the same language as Americans, so I guess we're all the same. You're argument is so inconsistent as to be laughable.

ReputationRep:
    I am not as dumb as americans. They are the only two countries outside europe I have managed to visit up to being 18, and this is partially due to financial reasons and partially due to the fact that I have been learning spanish in spain at my other available opportunities to go abroad. The fact that a country is divided by issues which create civil war does not mean that it is as culturally different as two separate countries. Yes, I know. My point was we listen to DIFFERENT MUSIC TO THE FRENCH ie it is a difference between England and France that is not true of New York and texas. Despite the fact that the education system is different, the same exams are sat and used for university entry- not true of England and France. And referring back to the fact that I have yet to finish exploring europe linguistically, I notice you just totally ignored my main point, about language difference. Anyone who had one iota of culture would have studied foreign languages sufficiently to know that they represent and underpin the development of a national culture and philosophy to such an extent that this difference alone is worth leaving your own country to explore the effects of. I do not claim to be educated. I do not claim to be well travelled. I most certainly do not claim to be a good representative of Britain. But even I have grasped some understanding of this vital difference. Communication through language is, after all, the most important distinguishing factor, according to many scientists between humans and animals. Is the language difference, and the philosophical differences brought about by a metaphysical vocabulary, therefore not the single most important difference between one human and another?

ReputationRep:
    Actually my first sentence was a rare blip into being more dumb than any nation on earth. Pleas pretend it was never written. I am better travelled than the average american was my intended start.

ReputationRep:
    Why would Americans want go to another country when they can travel thousands of miles in any direction and still be in the US?
    Now there's a silly question if ever I've seen one.

I am not as dumb as americans. They are the only two countries outside europe I have managed to visit up to being 18, and this is partially due to financial reasons and partially due to the fact that I have been learning spanish in spain at my other available opportunities to go abroad. The fact that a country is divided by issues which create civil war does not mean that it is as culturally different as two separate countries. Yes, I know. My point was we listen to DIFFERENT MUSIC TO THE FRENCH ie it is a difference between England and France that is not true of New York and texas. Despite the fact that the education system is different, the same exams are sat and used for university entry- not true of England and France. And referring back to the fact that I have yet to finish exploring europe linguistically, I notice you just totally ignored my main point, about language difference. Anyone who had one iota of culture would have studied foreign languages sufficiently to know that they represent and underpin the development of a national culture and philosophy to such an extent that this difference alone is worth leaving your own country to explore the effects of. I do not claim to be educated. I do not claim to be well travelled. I most certainly do not claim to be a good representative of Britain. But even I have grasped some understanding of this vital difference. Communication through language is, after all, the most important distinguishing factor, according to many scientists between humans and animals. Is the language difference, and the philosophical differences brought about by a metaphysical vocabulary, therefore not the single most important difference between one human and another?
    ummm, you do realise that in texas there is a massive following of country and western type music, whereas in new york hip hop, rap, garage etc are much bigger.
    ok america does have certain homogenous symbols like fast food outlets and walmart, but its quite ignorant to suggest that any two cities across america would be as closely related as anytwo cities within britain.

besides which, have you ever travelled about britain a bit? you can find totally new experiences from one county to another. and thats within our tiny little country!

America has 300 million people, and 4 different time zones (and that's if you exclude Alaska and Hawaii). It's only 3% smaller than the entire European continent (I bet you knew that :rolleyes: ). Why would Americans want go to another country when they can travel thousands of miles in any direction and still be in the US?
    i always prefer the bill bryson stat - america is so big that from east coast to west coast is further than from london to moscow.
    we always imagine moscow as other side of the world type distance.

I doubt there's a single person in the world who knows the names of every world leader...
    but a fellow leader of the G8 though...

ReputationRep:
    Canadians exist to be blamed for all of world's problems, not so that people actually learn their names. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I am fully aware that there is more difference between different places in america than there is in Britain. However, not to the extent that they have entirely different languages, and this is the KEY point. Spain is much smaller than the states, yet it has a number of different languages regionally-not dialects LANGUAGES, and Britain has Manx and Welsh. As far as I can see, no-one has contested that point. Furthermore, the fact that it is not necessary for the President to know a piece of information in order to do his job is irrelevant. He represents america. Therefore, he should theoretically be in AT LEAST the top 5% most intelligent AND EDUCATED PEOPLE. So you constantly referring to does anyone on here know about such and such its the same is stupid, because this is a forum of a cross-section of relatively young people. What it is ridiculous for a president not to know is not the same as what it is ridiculous for us not to know. I am a very ignorant person. That is one of the reasons I am not the President of the United States.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I am fully aware that there is more difference between different places in america than there is in Britain. .
    Not so sure....

How alike are someone from, say, the Scottish Isles, or the Welsh Valleys, and a Cockney?

ReputationRep:
    Yes there are still a lot of differences. But it seems logical that there would be more difference in america, as it is a much larger country, whose government systems have more autonomy. It also has had a greater tradition of multiculturalism. At any rate it is not a point which I wish to contend.

ReputationRep:
    It also has had a greater tradition of multiculturalism.
    That's arguable surely?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I am fully aware that there is more difference between different places in america than there is in Britain. However, not to the extent that they have entirely different languages, and this is the KEY point. Spain is much smaller than the states, yet it has a number of different languages regionally-not dialects LANGUAGES, and Britain has Manx and Welsh. As far as I can see, no-one has contested that point. Furthermore, the fact that it is not necessary for the President to know a piece of information in order to do his job is irrelevant. He represents america. Therefore, he should theoretically be in AT LEAST the top 5% most intelligent AND EDUCATED PEOPLE. So you constantly referring to does anyone on here know about such and such its the same is stupid, because this is a forum of a cross-section of relatively young people. What it is ridiculous for a president not to know is not the same as what it is ridiculous for us not to know. I am a very ignorant person. That is one of the reasons I am not the President of the United States.
    He has an MBA from Harvard. I think that puts him in the 5% of most educated people...

ReputationRep:
    Clearly not in terms of breadth of education. A leader requires both the in depth knowledge of a particular subject.Plus an extremely wide-ranging education in international politics, which is changing all the time. You can't just do a course one time, and expect that to be good enough. He has the most responsibility of anyone in the world, and he should have the world knowledge to back that up. I am skeptical about whether his Harvard MBA was earned or bought, but I can't prove squat, so I will leave that part out of the debate.

ReputationRep:
    I can travel thousands of miles and still be in Europe. Never the less I have chosen to visit Australia, and America, and have aspirations to visit many other places which are not in Europe, because it would allow me to see a wide range of different cultures that we do not have in Europe. I find it astonishing that in the wealthiest nation there is, only 40% have the intellectual curiosity to do that.
    You have chosen to leave Europe and see Australia and America, but most of my relatives (I'm a 1st generation American) stay in Europe when they vacation. It would not surprise me if less than 40% of Europeans have not travelled outside of Europe, which wouldn't make them much different than Americans when taking geography into account.

He has an MBA from Harvard. I think that puts him in the 5% of most educated people...
    do you honestly believe he is of harvard standard of intelligence..?
    honestly now.

he certainly isn't a speck of the intelligence of the ivy league people i've come across.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2008
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.